Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #1

Carrying a ladder

We just finished a 5200 mile trip and half way through developed a leak on the windshield where it meets the frame at the top. We were fortunate to be near family and I was able to borrow a ladder and with some windshield caulk fixed the leak. But we were lucky that we had family nearby which is not normally the case. A ladder would be handy for washing the coach too.

So I'm looking for advice on carrying a ladder. Any suggestions? I don't want one attached to the outside of the coach so a collapsible one would probably be best but would have to have some towels handy to protect the coach. Suggestions?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #2

For windshield access and cleaning, I use one like this: https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...ding+rv+ladder

I also carry a collapsible ladder similar to this for access to the roof: https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Telesco...ding+rv+ladder
I place pieces of tubular foam on the ladder uprights where it contacts the edge of the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
We just finished a 5200 mile trip and half way through developed a leak on the windshield where it meets the frame at the top. We were fortunate to be near family and I was able to borrow a ladder and with some windshield caulk fixed the leak. But we were lucky that we had family nearby which is not normally the case. A ladder would be handy for washing the coach too.

So I'm looking for advice on carrying a ladder. Any suggestions? I don't want one attached to the outside of the coach so a collapsible one would probably be best but would have to have some towels handy to protect the coach. Suggestions?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #3

I am in the building supply business and we sell telescoping ladders , the swat teams carry these because they are compact and heavy duty ..they cost abt $200 for this very reason.
Lumberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I carry one of these:

GP Logistics SLDD7 7' Compact Folding Ladder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IJUL4O..._GvI1zbR5ATKCZ

I store it in a PVC fence post cross-ways in my pass-thru basement storage. Easy access even with stuff piled on top.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Those folding ladders are great if you have a built-in ladder to get on the roof. Our new coach doesn't: so we bought a Little Giant Helium (QVC). It's much lighter than the regular and just a little smaller; so it fits against a bulkhead on its side with a bungee holding in place. This the best ladder I have owned!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
I carry one of these:

GP Logistics SLDD7 7' Compact Folding Ladder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IJUL4O..._GvI1zbR5ATKCZ

I store it in a PVC fence post cross-ways in my pass-thru basement storage. Easy access even with stuff piled on top.
X2 - I have same ladder and store it same way.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kiemele View Post
I carry one of these:

I went with the 5' model. Used multiple times at camp sites and around the outside of the homestead. A bit expensive at around $20 a foot but has been a very useful tool.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Tim! We have a ladder on the rear of the MH and I carry a 4" stepladder in the storage compartment. For the occasional times I need anything taller I can always find one around the campground!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig doesn't have an attached ladder. I carry one of the 7' folding ladders in a fence post in one of the bays as well as one of the 15' extending ladders attached to a bulkhead beside a slideout tray. I use canoe pads to protect the mh sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your in a RV Park ask someone to borrow from. Truck stop. Go to hardware store. Weight, storage, strength and size are as important as cost.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3444.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	178872

Name:	IMG_3445.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	178873

Name:	IMG_3446.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	178874

Here's what I carry.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
I also carry a collapsible ladder similar to this for access to the roof: https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Telesco...ding+rv+ladder
I place pieces of tubular foam on the ladder uprights where it contacts the edge of the roof.
I used to carry one of these but they are very heavy and take up a lot of space in a bay. I'm following this thread to get some ideas on a replacement.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
name? source? enquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
X2 - I have same ladder and store it same way.
X3 - GP Logistics make a great ladder. I would never hang anything off the rear ladder on the coach.

I didn't think about the fence post for storage, though. That's a good idea. Easy access even if gear is stowed on top.