Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
Essentially your #5 states that GCVWR can not exceed GVWR. So, if my rig placard states GVWR = 32,000# and GCVWR = 42,000#, under your #5, Tiffin got it wrong? IIRC, my CCC is ~3,800#, so if I loaded nothing in the coach, I could only tow a 3,800# vehicle 4 down? Am I understanding your #5 correctly?
Pretty sure he mistyped something... Every vehicle I have owned has had a GCWR (or GCVWR) that is higher than GVWR....

Put simply...

GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)- "Maximum loaded weight of a vehicle". What does GVWR mean? It is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle, as determined by the manufacturer. GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself. This only applies to pulling a trailer, in that the trailer tongue weight (bumper pull) or pin weight (5th wheel or gooseneck) is considered part of the "cargo" weight of the towing vehicle.

GCWR (gross combined weight rating)- "Maximum towing weight of a vehicle". What does GCWR mean? It is the maximum weight of your vehicle with a trailer attached, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. Combined weight means the weight of both the tow vehicle and the trailer together. It also includes any cargo or load placed in either vehicle.

Here is a visual reference to the various terms that I found online..

Hope that helps...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 09:30 PM   #16

Confirming

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Pretty sure he mistyped something... Every vehicle I have owned has had a GCWR (or GCVWR) that is higher than GVWR....

Put simply...

GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating)- "Maximum loaded weight of a vehicle". What does GVWR mean? It is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle, as determined by the manufacturer. GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself. This only applies to pulling a trailer, in that the trailer tongue weight (bumper pull) or pin weight (5th wheel or gooseneck) is considered part of the "cargo" weight of the towing vehicle.

GCWR (gross combined weight rating)- "Maximum towing weight of a vehicle". What does GCWR mean? It is the maximum weight of your vehicle with a trailer attached, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. Combined weight means the weight of both the tow vehicle and the trailer together. It also includes any cargo or load placed in either vehicle.

Here is a visual reference to the various terms that I found online..

Hope that helps...
We purchased a 1998 Rexhall anthem 3250 diesel pusher (Spartan Chassis) and we are trying to figure out the weight of toad we can tow?

The TAG on inside of door are not visible anymore but from the original owner’s brochure it said GVWR=20,000. We called Spartan to find out the GCWR, they said 25,000. Are we safe to assume that we can tow a toad of 5000 Ib? Just don’t understand why Spartan told us that the MH can only tow toad < 2500 Ib and it is impossible to find any car less than 3500Ib.

Can anyone tell us why?

Thanks in advance. We’re newbies...

Chuck n Jonh
ChuckNJonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jmhobbs".....Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) is a fairly new thing and not required to be listed on a yellow tag on the door, like it is now. Your coach did not fall under those rules.

Monaco went out of business, got bought, went out of business again and eventually the intellectual property was purchased by Fleetwood's parent company. The Monaco Roadmaster chassis was long in the tooth and will never be made again, as Fleetwood holds those rights. Fleetwood took the Monaco name, built a coach on a Freightliner chassis and slapped the old Monaco name on it, which is the only thing that is still Monaco, the name.

With all that said, they have kept the Monaco parts department stayed open through the buyouts....I don't know bout now. I would try and find a phone number or email for the parts department. In the past, you could request the build sheets for older coaches. Your coach has a six digit ID number (not the VIN) that identifies your particular coach. You've probably seen it somewhere in the coach. For your year model, it probably starts with a 3 or 4.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
One thing I’ll ad is that when figuring your net CCC, weigh the coach with a full fresh water tank but your grey and black tanks EMPTY. They fill as your fresh empties so you never have all three tanks full unless you refill your fresh without dumping your waste tanks which would be kind of dumb since you couldn’t use the fresh water. So....other than that most of the info above is good enough for you to go forth and conquer.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNJonh View Post
We purchased a 1998 Rexhall anthem 3250 diesel pusher (Spartan Chassis) and we are trying to figure out the weight of toad we can tow?

The TAG on inside of door are not visible anymore but from the original owner’s brochure it said GVWR=20,000. We called Spartan to find out the GCWR, they said 25,000. Are we safe to assume that we can tow a toad of 5000 Ib? Just don’t understand why Spartan told us that the MH can only tow toad < 2500 Ib and it is impossible to find any car less than 3500Ib.

Can anyone tell us why?

Thanks in advance. We’re newbies...

Chuck n Jonh

I recommend down loading the Cat scales app, get your coach weighed with no toad, ready for camping (loaded with gear,food,fuel,water, propane, people, etc,). Scale fee for me a couple of weeks ago was $12, the fuel to get there and back was about the same.

You must know, A, you hitch rating (capacity), didn't see that in your post.

If you are under 20K (GVWR) from your Cat scale weight, subtract the Cat scale weight from 25K (GCWR), this result is B. You can tow the smaller of the two numbers A or B. It is concerning to me that Spartan said 2500 was max tow. This may be the hitch rating.

If you are over 20K from your Cat scale weight then you should reduce the cargo weight to get under 20k.

You Cat scale weight will also give you the weight on your axles. Check to see that you are not exceeding any axle weights. May require adjusting cargo locations.

Smart cars are under 2000 lbs.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
I recommend down loading the Cat scales app, get your coach weighed with no toad, ready for camping (loaded with gear,food,fuel,water, propane, people, etc,). Scale fee for me a couple of weeks ago was $12, the fuel to get there and back was about the same.

You must know, A, you hitch rating (capacity), didn't see that in your post.

If you are under 20K (GVWR) from your Cat scale weight, subtract the Cat scale weight from 25K (GCWR), this result is B. You can tow the smaller of the two numbers A or B. It is concerning to me that Spartan said 2500 was max tow. This may be the hitch rating.

If you are over 20K from your Cat scale weight then you should reduce the cargo weight to get under 20k.

You Cat scale weight will also give you the weight on your axles. Check to see that you are not exceeding any axle weights. May require adjusting cargo locations.

Smart cars are under 2000 lbs.

Thanks. The hitch is part of the motohome and no rating or manufacturer’s information, looks like a class 2. Rexhall is no longer in business.

It is difficult to find good/used manual transmission small car for 4 down.
ChuckNJonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:04 AM   #21

This info may help you in the search:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/20-o...ld-in-the-u-s/
Old 11-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also apply to the vechicle weight any tongue weight of any thing you tow. If you do the scales with anything towed it will show up on you axle weight.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #23

USE the numbers on the placard. The brochure was printed by a marketing group, and likely written before the coach went into production.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight