Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Two or three times this summer I have had cars / SUV's nearly clip my front left fender...

As far as watching vehicles entering the freeway, I will slow down or speed up a hair to accommodate someone entering the freeway, but I always worry that, yes they see me in my red SUV, but do they see my 25' tt that just happens to be following me .

I should be worried. back about 4 years ago. I was traveling down a 35 - 40 mph 4 lane road when all of a sudden a car pulled out from a parking lot about 50 feet ahead. I couldn't swerve to the left because of traffic. He missed my SUV, but clipped my tt 2" from the front corner on the side. Caused my front awning support pole to be torn off and the fender skirt to be torn off. It was an older couple who I'm going to guess never saw my trailer. After the officer arrived, he claimed he had the right of way ???? Hummmm Let me see. If I'm pulling out of a parking lot with a stop sign all traffic in the road must yeild to me....Not......Long story short, after I wrote a detailed email to his claims adjuster, an hour later they said they will cover it....

And I had just come from my RV dealer 10 minutes before. Called them up and said "I got some more work for ya" Be back in 10 minutes.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class A vs two trucks, It's a tie

Remember the saying 'nice guys finish last'! I didn't finish last but thought I was going to finish in a heap. I'm heading south out of Jersey City NJ and I've been on the interstate for maybe 10 min. I see a tractor trailer heading down the acceleration ramp, so I moved the the center of 3 lanes to let him on the highway. Traffic was not that heavy so moving over was not any trouble. I notice how much smoother the road was so I stayed in the center lane. Not long after I catch that a tractor trailer coming up on my left. Not a problem but it does push me around quite a bit when he is beside me. I'm looking at the right lane to get over and ease the wiggles, and here comes another truck up on my right, moving faster than the one on the left. Well this is white knuckle time for me. The turbulence is pushing me all over the place and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to hold it straight much less stay in my lane. Well I'm glad they were moving so much faster than I was because in just a few seconds they are gone. I didn't hit the brakes but I was off the gas and that big old 8.1 was really slowing me down. Well that and the back-wash off the trucks. Thank goodness!!!! Rough road on not, I drove the right lane all the way back to Virginia. Oh I also put on some new shocks as soon as I go home. Need to get the sway, and track bars but the funds are not there yet. No wreck, nothing that exciting. but I had only owned the coach a week and this was my first trip. I had the practice of driving the 300 mile trip up, but, was still getting use to driving the thing. I don't know if the new shocks help or not because I will not get myself in that situation ever again. It's far right lane for me no matter what.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
About five years ago, I had jury duty. It was a dump truck that hit a car in the rear. When the judge charged the jury, he cautioned us that any vehicle that rear ends another is not automatically in the wrong. We found the truck driver innocent. She had pulled in front of him and hit the breaks.
Pity that's not true in AZ.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Same happened to me.... only my drivers door flew open!!!

Also happened to be in a curve and talking on the cell....
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #19

Not all Oregonians pick on Californians. There's just rude people everywhere that don't like to be slowed down by anybody. I try to stay in the right lane, but when i'm traveling thru a city with lots of onramps, I try to stay in the center until I get thru all the merging traffic. I may get passed on the right alot but feel that staying in the center is safest for all rather than constantly moving from the right to center every time there is merging traffic and sometimes the center is not available.
JJammo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJammo1 View Post
Not all Oregonians pick on Californians. There's just rude people everywhere that don't like to be slowed down by anybody. I try to stay in the right lane, but when i'm traveling thru a city with lots of onramps, I try to stay in the center until I get thru all the merging traffic. I may get passed on the right alot but feel that staying in the center is safest for all rather than constantly moving from the right to center every time there is merging traffic and sometimes the center is not available.
He didn't like me passing him. It wasn't because I was from California per se. He was doing 30 mph on the Highway, so I passed him without a problem. Nice clean pass. For some reason he got his knickers in a twist and decided to chase me down. He was flashing his lights and weaving from side to side. I could tell that if he were to get in front of me it would be a dangerous situation for me. He tried to pass me in oncoming traffic and tried to pass me on the inside. By the third time, he had oncoming cars getting into the dirt to avoid him, I had had enough and when he tried again on the inside I put him in the grass. I didn't wreck him but I wasn't going to play the old geezers game either, so I gave him a time out so he could reconsider his plan.
We rolled into beautiful Coos Bay had a wonderful lunch, repaired a faulty Shur Flo water pump and were on our way enjoying the beautiful Oregon coast. Just a wee hiccup in an otherwise beautiful trip on our way to Victoria,BC
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash cameras are not as expensive as you think. I have been using the one it the following topic for quite a while now. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dash-...ht=dash+camera
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Dash cameras are not as expensive as you think. I have been using the one it the following topic for quite a while now. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dash-...ht=dash+camera
After reading about the Dash Cameras, I have one on order. It is a great idea and coud save a big problem. Thanks !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I was heading down the freeway in Calif when a car merged onto the freeway in front gave him lots of room then he stopped on the freeway ..hit the brakes hard and came close to running right into him. But was able to avoid him..some drivers just should not be on the road
My guess was trying to hit a payday from me
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading previous posts similar to this I decided to check out pricing. With some careful shopping and bidding on Ebay I got a decent cam and 32mb of memory for under $50. So I don't really think price would be a barrier for most RV'ers. I suspect that with as much time we all spend on the road many will record events, not impacting us, but of interest to law enforcement and insurance companies. Gee maybe we could even pick up a few extra $. I'd be willing to bet lawyers and insurance companies would be willing to pay for the memory card in one of the really bad accidents.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a great idea. Searching for my dash cam now.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've always found that laying on the air horns work well too. Most people realize that the sound of air horns usually preceeds a crash. a 4500 lb car vs a 45,000 lb motorhome is a no win for the car. I don't have a solution for those without air horns. But I do like the idea of dash cams
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I've always found that laying on the air horns work well too. Most people realize that the sound of air horns usually preceeds a crash. a 4500 lb car vs a 45,000 lb motorhome is a no win for the car. I don't have a solution for those without air horns. But I do like the idea of dash cams
I have a solution for people without air horns. Go to your local antique car parts swap meet. Find a pair of nineteen thirty or forty trumpet electric horns. These are the long metal horns. They are 6 volts. When used with 12 volts they are twice as loud. You can't hold the horn button down for thirty seconds, as it would burn out the coil, but you can give it ten second blast all day long. I paid twelve dollars for the ones I have now.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Dash camera ordered this week.

I installed a 2-1/2 gallon Viar system 150 psi and a real nasty loud air horn behind the grill of my Class A gasser. I use the air for tires and other things.

My wife ask, of course, do we need this? To which I reply "what does need have do do with it".

The first time I used it was sweet revenge and my wife has not stopped laughing about the look on the offenders face----talks about it when ever the subject comes up.

He was in a convertable, his head about ear level to the horns.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote