Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #15

This is the unit we're going to buy but we do have a Ford Fiesta hatchback toad and will carry the kayak in the back of the Fiesta. Oh, and we will be buying the electrical pump. I am NOT going to pump this thing up with a foot pump.
https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/380x
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I see many folks putting them on their tow car/truck, well with a little car that will not work

So was thinking about building a rack on the tow hitch mounting vertical

Problem with that is I would need to drive the RV to water, not always EZ.

Next idea was an inflatable.........

Anyone else face this situation
We've had a sea eagle fastrack for 5 years and love it. Very stable i can stand in it handles 795lb. check out their many options at sea eagle.com.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I see many folks putting them on their tow car/truck, well with a little car that will not work

So was thinking about building a rack on the tow hitch mounting vertical

Problem with that is I would need to drive the RV to water, not always EZ.

Next idea was an inflatable.........

Anyone else face this situation
I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I carried 2- 17' ocean kayaks on our rag top geo tracker for several years. I made a custom rack that mounted front and rear and spanned the soft top.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I am trying to figure out how to mount to my wrangler with a soft top. The options seems limited.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have owned two Sea Eagles , first a SE370 and now a 393RL. These are not toys, they are sit on top kayaks with good seats. They are made from thick material and are tough I have never had a puncture to repair. The down sides of inflatables vs. hard kayaks are that you are impacted by wind more than sit in kayaks as more of the hull is out of the water and like any sit on top kayak your body is higher and catches more wind, and they don't track as straight as good hard kayaks due to less of the hull being in the water due to the air chamber in the floor of the inflatable kayak.

But inflatables are still very fun and functional. I have used mine on lakes, rivers, and streams up to class 2.

They weigh less than 40 pounds and deflated the Sea Eagles are in a backpack style carry bag and I don't have any problem carrying the bag down to the water by myself when kayaking alone. They take about 10 minutes to inflate and set up for use and same to deflate and tear down.

I recommend for Sea Eagle their largest discount dealer: inflatableboats4less.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 14' fishing SOT (Sit On Top) YAK only weighs 65 lbs and has a set of wheels that fit into the skupper holes. Those are holes so water getting into the setting area of the YAK can drain out.

It easily can be transported (wheeled) from our camp sight down to the waters edge. I prefer the SOT as opposed to the Sit-In YAK's. It's all sealed up and if fishing in the cold weather/waters I just use a set of waders and warm water proof coats. Never been an issue.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post

I recommend for Sea Eagle their largest discount dealer: inflatableboats4less.com
nice link
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #22

Girl friend bought a Kaboat. Saturn brand and 14' inflatable. It has 2 inflated chambers and an inflated floor. Hard transom and we got a short shaft electric trolling motor to use. It folds up compactly and fits in the back of the Jeep Wrangler (2 door). We have used it once and doesn't take too long to set up and deflate. 43 pound thrust motor moves it along nicely.

Fairly heavy duty material and not a pool toy. We're on a western US trip and expect to use it some more soon.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We carry a pair of Old Town Trip 10 kayaks on "J" cradle carriers on to of our toad (2012 Jeep Liberty). The boats themselves weigh roughly 50 lbs - so I can load/unload them by myself without too much trouble. We typically remove the kayaks when we're not actually traveling - using a long cable and locks to secure them to the coach. The "J" cradle carrier stays on top of the Jeep. We've schlepped 'em all over the country like this - and haven't had any trouble at all.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #24

http://pakayak.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3

Fits inside our smart car, we have a high pressure inflatable and a folboat as well
they all have pros and cons
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Don't know how short your car is but I carry our two 18'-4" long kayaks on our Ford Focus. I have Thule racks that are only 32" apart. In the past I have carried kayaks on a Rav4 for thousands of miles. If you get a good quality rack made for your car you will have no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC280001.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	722.3 KB
ID:	166455   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC280004.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	542.3 KB
ID:	166456  

RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
I am trying to figure out how to mount to my wrangler with a soft top. The options seems limited.
You're probably going to need a roof rack that mounts to your body and/or frame. Some are hinged to lift our of the way to make taking the soft top off easier.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I carried a 12' kayak on the roof of a VW beetle. No problem, but was stopped in WY and ID for invasive species inspections, they are trying to keep weeds from spreading from one waterway to the next.
Actually, they are looking for Quagga Mussels. Look them up.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
Actually, they are looking for Quagga Mussels. Look them up.
RichH
I chatted with the biologist, yes quagga mussels are looked for, but she was specifically alerted to Hydrilla, Eurasian Watermilfoil, Curly Pondweed, and 'Rock Snot.' (I kept the handout)

Many nice looking kayaks listed here, I don't have any real prejudice against inflatables, but it seems to me the modular/sectional design would be great. My 12' plastic one is one person. If I was looking now I'd go for a modular model that could be one or two cockpit sized so the wife could go with. The weight and storage options make it ideal for RV travel.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote