Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Cat c10 engine question.

First time out in 99 Magna CC towing our Ford Edge on a very long climb in Ca. engine heated up to about 230. Is this normal? How high is too high.....time to pull over? All you experienced C 10 owners.... What do you think?
holyrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Generally pre tier4 diesels dont require (nor really benefit ) from temps over 205 that I can see. You dont really get the jacket pressure that is associated with Gas engines due to water pump and engine RPM so at least a portion of the payoff with higher pressure cooling systems is minimized. Not to mention the compression ignition process of a diesel is not consistent as it nears the boiling point of water - I could certainly see there be hot spots that develop. Now, having said all that, what does it normally run at?? If you get more than +20 on a climb that is a problem. Did you gear down? What RPM were you climbing at? Side radiator or rear? IF rear, when was last time it was THOROUGHLY cleaned?
Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyrollers View Post
First time out in 99 Magna CC towing our Ford Edge on a very long climb in Ca. engine heated up to about 230. Is this normal? How high is too high.....time to pull over? All you experienced C 10 owners.... What do you think?
I have a C-9 but 230 deg way to HOT. You can crack the head not good
Can you hear the fan come on, most of the time if the fan controller goes bad it will go to high. I started seeing temps going to 210deg from 204degs in the past so I went with the wax valve, now I see from 170 to 194deg, have you cleaned the radiator or it could be a stuck t/stat, mine has 2 don't know about the C 10
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #4

Ok. We just hooked up our Silverleaf readout that we have on a portable computer. It appears that the engine temperature gauge is reading about 20 degrees warmer than Silver Leaf is showing us. Great relief.... we will be watching it closely for the rest of the trip as we have many more grades to climb. We have a side radiator and yes we did gear down.
holyrollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Ok. We just hooked up our Silverleaf readout that we have on a portable computer. It appears that the engine temperature gauge is reading about 20 degrees warmer than Silver Leaf is showing us. Great relief.... we will be watching it closely for the rest of the trip as we have many more grades to climb. We have a side radiator and yes we did gear down.
Silverleaf is a great tool, never leave home without it.
Need to fill out your Sig at the bottom of your post so everyone knows what you have to help. User CP at the top of the page.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
there you go. SL is your friend. On the last 4K mile trip I noticed the dash gauge would show <150 and SL would show 180. I tap on the dash gauge and it would bounce... to 180.. So, always nice to have a backup. Especially when it comes to coolant temp. Just make sure your coolant temp slowly climbs on hills and quickly comes back on downgrades and it kind of confirms that SL will be your saving grace...
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

holyrollers, your gauges work like mine on my 2000 Magna. Engine temp high, oil pressure low, voltage low. Silverleaf is the answer.

One thing to watch is the fan controller for the hydraulic fan. I had my coolant sensor and charge air sensor go bad and my fan would only run on low. Some have the controller go bad and will only run on low. A temporary fix is to unplug the power to the fan controller and the fan will default to high. Not the best but lots better than overheating until you can get a repair. Be wary of pulling the fuse to the fan as on my coach other things are on that circuit.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #8

Our C10 runs 194-198 typically. Pulling mountain passes in summer temps maybe 205-208 pulling a vehicle. We have a side radiator and silver leaf. The factory gauge usually reads high. Also on our coach the engine will shut down if it goes over 215.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't start my coach until my SilverLeaf fires up and is running.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, engine