Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All things being equal (an they usually never are) I'd take the CAT over the Cummins in those engines. Given a choice I'd rather have an ISC or ISL though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
I owned a 99 HR Endeavor with the cummins 5.9 and now I own a 03 Jayco Avatar with the Cat 3126. The cummins got great fuel mileage, even when towing Honda Element. However, it lost all game trying to pull any slight grade. It also had the dreaded 53 block ( do a search ), so I did not feel comfortable adding a banks kit, though some do. The Jayco has 330 hp ( 55 more than the 275 cummins) and 840 lbs torque ( A plus 180 over the 5.9) I can pull the Cajon Pass, 55 mph at the weigh station and maintain 55 to the top of the hill. Avg 9 miles per gallon. I think the 02 is a 3126, slobber tube and most likely has a grease zirk on the fan pully, mine does. One could never have too much hp, but remember, more horses, more $hay$
Not necessarily, some of the ISL's will get better mileage than some of the 3126's or ISB's. The bigger engines are turning slower and if properly matched to the load and driven right they do get good mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #17

ISL getting better fuel mileage than a 5.9 or even the 3126, is rare. But then again, some owners always catch bigger fish.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #18

My last MH had a Cummins in it. Got 12 MPG towing a Jeep Wrangler, and had enough power to scramble over the Rockies as if they were ant hills. Just got a new MH with a Caterpillar c7. What a piece of garbage, no power, no torque, and 6 MPG. Just listen to them, the Cummins sounds like a diesel should sound, the Cat sounds like a gas engine trying to act up.
Bob C.
bgc44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #19

There are thousands of both engine successfully powering trucks, motorhomes, etc. Both are very good. NEITHER is "better". As usual, you tend to get the same lame Ford V. Chevy arguments, with those owning each rabidly defending their mighty motor. Unlike most poster here, I've owned coaches with both engines. The major difference I noted, was the 5.9 is a small block, with very low torque output. The CAT, at 7.2 liters has substantially more torque, and that's where the difference lies. Torque is what gets you going, and climbs hills. While the Cummins 59. ran great in our prior coach, it had a mere 520 lb ft of torque. Our current CAT powered coach has 860 lb ft. Big difference.

For anyone to claim either is junk, or inferior as a reliable powerplant; is ridiculous & ignorant.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
We have the ISB 5.9 in a 28k, 40' DP. I was concerned about the small ISB and called Cummins to get their input. As always, the Cummins service/rep was outstanding and informed me that my engine was the last 5.9 off the floor in mid 2007. He said that was good because by then they had worked out all problems with the little engine. I then had the Banks Power system installed and was really impressed with increase in Hp but more impressed by new found torque. With a 4,000 lb Wrangler toad, we have no problem on any terrain. I normally leave power setting at 2 and engage Allison Economy push for the flats and disengage push and power set at 3 for any Georgia/Alabama I-20 rolling hills. If I need to keep up with truckers, I'll up power to the number 4 for awhile until flattening out. Number 4 will increase exhaust temp, but EGT hardly ever goes to 1200 and if so, doesn't stay there long. The Banks puts the power range of the 5.9 up to at least the 6.7 output. On a recent 2500 mile trip to Dallas, we averaged an accurate 8.6 mpg. The Banks system really works great. If your interested, there's a good write up of the Banks system in the March '12 issue of MotorHome.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cummins