Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #29

I get 13 mpg towing my 5'er. I have an '03 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins Diesel. Its been a good truck.
frankclarkba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #30

Motorcycle Lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Congratulations on finding an engine you are happy with, that's all that matters. Each brand has it's loyal customers and haters.

I'm running my first diesel, a Cat 3126 and have been happy so far. Previous owner calibrated the dip stick, and I make sure I only put 28 quarts back in when changing the oil. Made a catch can for the slobber tube, so between those two mods, no oil spray out the back. I'm fully loaded including a 600lb motorcycle hanging off the back, dragging a Honda CRV with two electric bikes on it's hitch rack. I'm averaging 8.5mph over the past year through 9 states. So far so good.

astrnmrtom; just wondering what kind of lift you are using with your motorcycle? I can find much out there and would appreciate your info. Thanks!
Dwellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:27 PM   #31

CAT quit selling their engines to the motorhome industry many years ago because they couldn't keep up with the emission standards. Plus they don't cater to motorhomes ("leftovers") like Cummins does. A Cummins counter rep told me once that 55% of their business is from the RV industry. Cummins shops are generally cleaner than Cats' and more friendly. Larry, 2014 Itasca Reyo P.
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
CAT quit selling their engines to the motorhome industry many years ago because they couldn't keep up with the emission standards. Plus they don't cater to motorhomes ("leftovers") like Cummins does. A Cummins counter rep told me once that 55% of their business is from the RV industry. Cummins shops are generally cleaner than Cats' and more friendly. Larry, 2014 Itasca Reyo P.
A Cummins counter rep told me once that 55% of their business is from the RV industry ? With Millions of semi's out there mostly using Cummins Power i highly doubt that
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #33

Cat vs Cummins

I have had both and the cat C15 was awesome. Best ever built. Had good mileage for me as I push speed limits and tow a race trailer.
I now gave the Cummins blow up special 650 HP.
SO FAR ITS SUCKED A VALVE AND BROKE A ROCKER and it only has 40 thousand miles.
$55 k in repairs.
It’s in a 2010 American Heritage.
This is the twin cam engine with the Chinese Head.
The new head is supposed to be an improvement. Just google Cummins 650 failures. Cylinder 6
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #34

a)
1988 Peterbilt, 3406b, 8ll.
I kept the valves adjusted.
No shake, smoother than any gasoline engine.
I put around 600,000 miles on it, my sister is still operating it at just over two million miles.

b
1984 Peterbilt, 400 Cummins BigCam, 8ll.
I put well over a hundred thousand miles annually on it for four years.
My expenses were lube oil filters belts.

I read about 2007-on engines toes-up at sixty thousand.
I read about Exhaust Fluid parts toes-up on the way home from the dealer, no replacement parts anyplace in the Supply Chain.
Park, and wait.

c)
My cousin Sonny acquired his Piper Cub aircraft sometime in the early 1950s.
Going strong.

I think mechanical longevity has a lot to do with the operator.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #35

I have had a number of diesel engines:

1) 1983 Chevy Crewcab Dually with Banks turbo used to haul a slide-in camper and pull a 5th wheel. Sold at 359k miles still running strong. Biggest issue was glow plugs and a rebuilt injection pump. 10 mpg working and 16 mpg empty;

2) '98 DS on Spartan chassis with 300 hp Cummins 8.3, kept for 70k miles;

3) '93 Prevost with 500 hp DD 8V92, that slobbered and got low 6 MPG, the day I got 7 mpg we stopped to take a picture. It got a tummy ache and blew up at 160k miles. Rebuilt and kept until we had 200k on coach;

4) '01 Prevost with DD S60 that averaged low 7 mpg and saw over 12 mpg on trip from ABQ to OKC. S60 was bullet proof with regular maintenance. Traded at 190k miles;

5) '18 Tiffin with 450 ISL. No issues with drive train in the 5 mo, 18k miles before traded;

6) '19 MADP with 500 hp ISX 12. Three engine check shutdowns in 27k miles due to DEF issues. Fuel economy in low 7's
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl55 View Post
You should have told him to buy a Honda. lol It would probably still be going.

The last GM I had was a 1990 Grand Prix. I'll probably never get another GM vehicle. The only reason I got an F-150 is so I could flat tow it instead of towing our Accord on a dolly. I also had a Tacoma and would have gotten a new one if they were able to tow flat without getting a modified driveshaft with a disconnect.

I went from the Tacoma to F-150 too. I loved the tacoma, hated the disconnect.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
CAT quit selling their engines to the motorhome industry many years ago because they couldn't keep up with the emission standards.

Now, for "the rest of the story".

On highway (not just RV's but more importantly medium duty and OTR trucks) accounted for only a small portion of Caterpillar engine production. Most went into off-road use, stationary power plants, marine, etc.

So, they weighed the cost of R & D and likely major changes to production to meet the stiffer EPA requirements against potential sales and made the wise decision (reflected in their stock prices going up when the announced that they were leaving the on-highway business) to quit the on-highway business. Very little of that decision had anything to do with the RV market.

The majority of Cummins business was and is on-highway, so they had no choice but to continue in the on-highway business.

Both corporations made wise business decisions.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #38

Do you fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
My 3126 gets about 10 mpg...
RV fuel owners share a trait with people that fish. The first lier does not have a chance. Any product can have problems, especially if operated and maintained by someone who lacks the knowledge needed.
mrcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcummins View Post
RV fuel owners share a trait with people that fish. The first lier does not have a chance. Any product can have problems, especially if operated and maintained by someone who lacks the knowledge needed.

Actually, the 3126 IS capable of 10 MPG if one is an MPG focused driver.

A "put it in drive and keep up with freeway traffic" driver-- not even in your dreams.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcummins View Post
With a C-13 and flat towing our Milan hybrid, we'll average 25 MPG on a trip. Sometimes a little more. It depends on how much we drive the toad on side trips. 44 in the toad, 6 in the coach ... Averages to 25. 🤔
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
With a C-13 and flat towing our Milan hybrid, we'll average 25 MPG on a trip. Sometimes a little more. It depends on how much we drive the toad on side trips. 44 in the toad, 6 in the coach ... Averages to 25. 🤔

Ain't RV MATH a wonderful thing!
Old 07-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #42

My 3126b while hauling got somewhere 11 and 12mpg.. fl60 sport chassis..

Tags
cat, cummins