Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Fast, quiet, square cuts? Maybe something like this:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/258-power-pipe-cutter

Or something like this, I own a similar tool, works quickly and fairly quite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1088.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	309117
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #16

Converter

Someone recommended a straight pipe, not a good idea, without a converter the check engine light will be on all the time, but that's the least of it, there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream one before the converter one after, they monitor unburned fuel going through the converter (hydrocarbons) this info is sent to the pcm and it in turn adjusts the air fuel ratio accordingly, with out the fluctuation readings from the O2 sensors the engine will go to base timing, basically adjusting the ratio to cold start settings causing you to use more fuel not less.
I just went through this with my grandsons 06 trailblazer he was getting about 11 mpg , ran a scan on it and it turns out the converter was ok but both his sensors were bad, not adjusting at all, we replaced them now he's getting 17 to 18 mpg, catalytic converters are a important part of today's engines.
After market converters are available for purchase on line, two years ago I replaced the on on my wifes 04 freestar, 350 bucks and it working just fine.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Someone recommended a straight pipe, not a good idea, without a converter the check engine light will be on all the time, but that's the least of it, there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream one before the converter one after, they monitor unburned fuel going through the converter (hydrocarbons) this info is sent to the pcm and it in turn adjusts the air fuel ratio accordingly, with out the fluctuation readings from the O2 sensors the engine will go to base timing, basically adjusting the ratio to cold start settings causing you to use more fuel not less.
I just went through this with my grandsons 06 trailblazer he was getting about 11 mpg , ran a scan on it and it turns out the converter was ok but both his sensors were bad, not adjusting at all, we replaced them now he's getting 17 to 18 mpg, catalytic converters are a important part of today's engines.
After market converters are available for purchase on line, two years ago I replaced the on on my wifes 04 freestar, 350 bucks and it working just fine.
Thanks for that information!

I think the thieves used a sawz-all. You can see the red paint from the blade at the cut. I can probably even tell you the brand of the blade in the saw (same as I have in mine).
Old 11-24-2020, 10:42 AM   #18

Happening in DFW
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
Someone recommended a straight pipe, not a good idea, without a converter the check engine light will be on all the time, but that's the least of it, there are two oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream one before the converter one after, they monitor unburned fuel going through the converter (hydrocarbons)
Not true on a W22 or W24 chassis. Only one O2 sensor, and it's ahead of the cat. It senses the oxegen and adjusts fuel accordingly with or without a cat.

Many do have 2 O2 sensors, but not the 8.1 chevy in these rigs.

Even the old P30 with the 454's only had one sensor. I took mine off, and the mileage was better without it.

Those BBC's love to breath! The free flow exhaust really helps them.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What's really aggravating is that these [Mod Edit] show up at metal yards with dozens of these and no one asks where they came from. Arrest a couple of these jerks for receiving stolen property and it will slow way down or stop. Unfortunately, with the defunding of law enforcement, property crimes will continue to rise, since there is no consequence for theft.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:42 AM   #21

Used to be a big problem in Florida with the CAT's disappearing in the night. They changed the law and now recyclers are required to get a copy of a state issued ID ( e.g. drivers license) from people for certain restricted things ( including Cat's) and mail the check to the address listed on the state issued ID . Seems to have addressed the problem.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #22

Converters

I live in michigan and they implemented a program of I'D certification for turning in catalytic converter some years back, it may have slowed it down some but there still seems to be a market for stolen converters.
I worked 40+ years as a mechanic the first 15 a dealers and the last 27 at a municipality, we had two police stations, the main which had a garage and a satellite which did not, those cars sat outside and unattended for 4 hrs. every night and thieves would steal converters from them, these guys are brazen to say the least.
In a earlier post I suggested that not having a converter may compromised engine performan this is true on systems with pre and post converter 02's but not on your setup as unplanned pointed out. I have not worked on a system with only on sensor, if what he says applies to your coach you might want to check out the auto saver 88 on amazon, this seems inexpensive and may work perfect for you.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #23

Glad we can dump air and coach sits too low to the ground.
It is unfortunate this happens. Up in Washington they were using hand held battery operated band saws small and quiet
Let us know what you end up purchasing,
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #24

Wish I could cut that straight with a sawsall while laying on my back.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dont do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Replace with straight pipe. I doubt it will be much if any louder.

Less back pressure = better fuel economy and/or power.

Just might not be a plan if you have emissions testing.
On my last coach I had the cat removed. The only sensor was before the cat so the muffler shop suggested it.

The amount of how much louder when coming off a stop was much much louder, Annoying louder!! A steady 65mph and no different than with it. I Wish never did it.

Saw no improvement in performance or mpg.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Strange this thread and my mentioning a straight pipe work around. My mail has finally caught up to me and our Terrain is being recalled for an "Environment and Climate Change Recall #ECR-G0001-19=006 which is one of those nonsensical post cat oxygen sensors issues.

Weird timing or what??
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Wish I could cut that straight with a sawsall while laying on my back.
Like anything, practice makes perfect.
This is a huge problem everywhere and why scrapers are even buying these obviously stolen cats from these low life's is beyond comprehension. Sadly it is illegal for a wrecking yard to sell you a used cat for legitimate re-use, but not illegal to buy a stolen one, but that's the world we live in.
I'd definately straight pipe it if you plan on keeping it there.
Yeah, maybe not the most environmentally friendly option but at least they won't tag it again.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:53 AM   #28

My buddy had his stolen parked in a storage yard. Yard said not their problem. His insurance company paid but price was about $1000 each. But with his deductible it still cost him some $$.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cat