Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #1

Catalytic Converter Thieves

The storage yard where I store my Dolphin was hit by catalytic converter thieves the other night. I got a voice mail message from the RV yard yesterday saying there had been an "incident" with my rig, but they provided zero details. I didn't know if that meant it had burned to the ground, been backed into or broken into, and since they were then closed for the day by the time I got the message it was a long night worrying what had happened to my moho. I knew the guy who was parked next to me with a travel trailer had poor backing skills and was like a bull in a china shop. I happened to be working at the moho a week ago when he was trying to put his trailer away and could see he was clueless so was watching him closely while his wife guided him in. Sure enough, I had to scream at him to keep him from backing into the side of my rig that time, so I was expecting the worst this time.

Since the office was closed today and I could not speak to anyone I just drove over there and let myself in with my gate code. My coach looked just as I left it, inside and out. No damage whatsoever!! I figured that they must have had the wrong coach and went home.

This afternoon I got another call from the yard and the manager explained that someone had broken in and cut the catalytic converters off a number of motor homes, mine being one of them. So I drove over there again to take a look for myself, and sure enough! Gone!! They did nice work though... the cuts are very clean!

I guess my next call will be to my insurance company. I hear stores of $800-1,200 EACH for Workhorse converters (ouch!) but I see Magnaflow converters for around $200 so maybe that's a possibility. Anyone got any experience with finding replacement converters for a W-series Workhorse chassis?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201123_160928852-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	309096  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Converter scrap prices are throught the roof right now. This is going to become a lot more common.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Stealing Converters is common here in eastern Pennsylvania too. My son's Auto repair shop has had converters stolen from vehicles parked in his lot when closed. . Easy to do ,battery operated saws make it quick and easy. Converters contain precocious metals and the market value is sky high.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #4

Looks like quick work with a battery powered sawzall....thieves......the worst of mankind.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Looks like quick work with a battery powered sawzall....thieves......the worst of mankind.
The managers live on site and I'm not sure how they didn't hear it. I cut an old exhaust off one of my cars with a Sawz-All a few months ago and the racket would have woken the dead!
Old 11-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had mine stolen from my work truck about six months ago. Repaired it and parked it in a different location. 2 weeks later they stole the whole darn truck.
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Straight pipe through where the converter once was. ??
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eez Moose View Post
Straight pipe through where the converter once was. ??
Yeah, I wondered about that, but not sure if it would make it louder? I wouldn't want that. Also, I guess you couldn't call me an environmentalist since I drive a ten-ton moho, but I hate to make it more of a polluter than it already is.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
this is he threw tread I’ve seen about this appending in a little over a week. Glad I store at home.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Sorry to hear that. This is also happening in Canada like my sister's Class C Ford 450 in a storage compound this summer. The garage offered an expensive replacement or a much lower priced one. They recommended the lower priced one as it was unlikely to be stolen if the thieves returned.
Another friend's converter was cut from her car while at a movie theater in broad daylight at a busy mall. Insurance partly covered replacements.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
i think it happens where ever you find tweekers
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Replace with straight pipe. I doubt it will be much if any louder.

Less back pressure = better fuel economy and/or power.

Just might not be a plan if you have emissions testing.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #13

No emissions testing here, but if I ever sell the MH I may be limiting where I could sell it. I've run into that even selling a car. We have no annual testing where I live in rural AZ, but they do in Phoenix and Tucson. I had a guy from Phoenix who wanted a car of mine, but since it had never been tested he was afraid of buying a car not knowing if it would pass their test.

Police said that they've had problems with gangs from Phoenix (90 miles from here) targeting RV yards. We have plenty of losers of our own too, so who knows. They did seem to be pretty professional about it. The RV yard has chain link fence with barb wire topping all the way around, manager and his wife living on premises, and apparently nobody saw or heard a thing. I'm not sure how many RVs they hit, but apparently it was a number of them.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #14

Fast, quiet, square cuts? Maybe something like this:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/258-power-pipe-cutter
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, cat