Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #71

One less catalytic converter thief to worry about.

I saw this story a few months back. Not sure people caught stealing catalytic converters should be killed on the spot in a brutal manner, but on the other hand maybe society is better off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article252129698.html
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #72
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
My recommendation for using the owner's state-issued DL number to prevent or help recover stolen valuables is based on dated information from before the interwebs made personal privacy a myth. I did it in the 70s and 80s based on recommendations from the California Highway Patrol when CAT thefts became an issue beginning in 1975 when they were mandated.
[emoji40][emoji382]
Understood, hence my comment about engraving the SSN on stuff. I used to use a 1970's advertisement in my security awareness classes that sold a kit to engrave your SSN on your car windows and other places as a theft deterrent. Of course, that was when a car lasted 50,000 miles if that.

Can you imagine going to a bank today to get a business loan to fund a startup company to produce that product today?

Ray
Old 08-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #73
NXR

Quote:
I saw this story a few months back. Not sure people caught stealing catalytic converters should be killed on the spot in a brutal manner, but on the other hand maybe society is better off.
I'll bet there aren't too many catalytic converter thefts in the Middle East.

Ray
Old 08-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidsroom View Post
I would etch my license plate number and state. If I see this on a converter I would run the license plate and then contact the owner. We have this issue in my area also. The meth heads are very active. I have arrested persons for this type of theft and gave the converter back to the owners. They had several others in their vehicle which I took and put in our property room hopefully to match up with other victims calling in the next day. Some called but others did not so we have several converters in our property room which will probably be auctioned off at a later date. I like this idea of painting and etching and will be telling people this suggestion.
It's reassuring to hear that you actually have arrested people for this, and contacted owners if the plate # and state were a etched on the cat. I did put my state on it as well.

I still think if a thief looks under the vehicle and sees an orange cat with etchings, they're just going to move on. They normally work with a flashlight, a cordless Sawzall, and a jack man, so they'll see that license number on the cat if they got under mine.

As far as the discussions about killing people for stealing a catalytic converter, I think that's a bit out of line. You don't kill people for minor property crimes, as annoying as they are.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #75

To all the law enforcement folks on this forum I thank you for your service. I can't begin to imagine the frustration you must face each day when you make an arrest and the person you arrested is released almost before you finish the paperwork. It seems as though those committing crimes have more rights than we have in today's society.
I put a nice gravel pad in behind my garage a couple years ago to park my coach on. I no longer use it now. I park my coach in front of my garage in the driveway in plain sight with two motion detecting lights aimed at the coach. My dog will bark anytime the lights are activated which was annoying at first but now I appreciate it. If I let my dog out and there is a stranger in my yard all I'd have to do was to say, "Get him" and the intruder wouldn't be going anywhere unless they can take on a 224# Rottweiler and win. Not likely.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
It's reassuring to hear that you actually have arrested people for this, and contacted owners if the plate # and state were a etched on the cat. I did put my state on it as well.

I still think if a thief looks under the vehicle and sees an orange cat with etchings, they're just going to move on. They normally work with a flashlight, a cordless Sawzall, and a jack man, so they'll see that license number on the cat if they got under mine.

As far as the discussions about killing people for stealing a catalytic converter, I think that's a bit out of line. You don't kill people for minor property crimes, as annoying as they are.
As a retired LEO you know as well as I do that stealing convertors isn't the only crime/s they are involved in. Far from it. These crime aren't minor when you start adding the cost up. I'm all for letting the victim deal their final blow when caught. The court room today is a circus. Rinse...lather...repeat.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
As a retired LEO you know as well as I do that stealing convertors isn't the only crime/s they are involved in. Far from it. These crime aren't minor when you start adding the cost up. I'm all for letting the victim deal their final blow when caught. The court room today is a circus. Rinse...lather...repeat.
And if I walk outside and see someone under my motorhome trying to steal the converter and shoot them, then I'm going to prison for life. I think it's good that you're retired.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:43 PM   #78
cwf

Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
The thieves that steal these steal for their drug addiction. I've drawn the line with them. Catch you...and you won't be stealing anymore from anyone. Judge, jury and executioner. And lose no sleep over it. They're in my book no different than one who commits crimes against children.
Agreed.

If someone asks, I try to help… if I see a need, I try to help. I have known thieves… could have been one, perhaps had things gone different. I do not condone behavior such as this..and have protected kids when it meant everything I had was on the line. I have seen the sickness of drugs (yes, alcohol is just legal)…

I think words are all that separate our intentions here..
Old 08-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
This topic has been well covered and seems to be drifting. It’s time to move on.

Site Staff
Closed Thread

Tags
cat