Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Catalytic thieves - They got me

Today I made my monthly trip to my RV in storage to exercise the generator. But when I started up the motor...Sounds like NASCAR.

The last time I started the motor was exactly one month ago so sometime in July the thieves got to it.

I read about this happening to others and always think I'm lucky that my storage place is out in the country, out of sight of the highway and brightly lit and securely fenced.

But none of that matters after all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 02:12 PM   #2

Somebody's darling little baby is at it again!!!
Hate to hear it
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
Old 08-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #3

What city are you in?
Old 08-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
What city are you in?
17 miles north of San Antonio... in the boonies. The storage place is in Bulverde and I'm in Spring Branch.

The place is off the highway set back behind a big church and not visible from the road. It's lighted, has cameras, fully fenced and gated. If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't know it was there. But ti's fairly large probably 130 RVs and travel trailers there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 6.19.30 PM.png
Views:	24
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	338055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 6.19.51 PM.png
Views:	20
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	338056  

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 6.21.18 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	901.8 KB
ID:	338057  
Old 08-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #5

We are having problems where we live in our gated community. They cut through most fences with ease. Our motorhome is stored in a lot with a 7000 watt electric fence that was installed by a company from the midwest. If it is cut, alarms sound and police respond. No problems for us there in four years. That fence stop the steely boys dead in their tracks.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

Same thing with me. Fully lit lot, security fence and on site security( yeah right) Got mine and the rig next to me
Old 08-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Well it certainly doesn't help dozens of these ad's pop up on Facebook Marketplace weekly. I flag them but it's like playing whack a mole.
Selling or purchasing cat converters legally is a highly regulated procedure. "Seller prefers door drop off" Really?
Where all those fact checkers go?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20210801-165315.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	338065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210801-165344.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	338066  

2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Old 08-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #8

We have a place here in N. Florida that advertises that they buy used converts at top prices. Why not just say " Hey guys go steal some and bring in for cash"
Our MH is parked right next to house under roof but I suppose someone could get ours.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #9

If I lived in a high theft area I would just devise something that electrified the exhaust without damaging the RV. Plug it in when you leave and come back to some crackhead cooked under the RV. Drag the body out and head off on your trip.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
If I lived in a high theft area I would just devise something that electrified the exhaust without damaging the RV. Plug it in when you leave and come back to some crackhead cooked under the RV. Drag the body out and head off on your trip.
Now that is a great idea!!!
Old 08-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #11

"Secure" strange areas are generally anything but. Some time ago, I went to get my rig and noticed a panel open. Thieves actually stole my Onan generator and cut the wit=res to reoveit. The storage place basically said, too bad. Left there shortly after. Catalytic converters are a big ticket item now and you'd think someone showing up with a hold dozen would draw suspicion.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:53 AM   #12

Well I didn't have my cat stolen but....

A several months back I went down to the storage to pull the RV and noticed my cover unzipped on the front passenger side. Pulled up the front side and popped the engine hatch (was locked) and my chassis battery had been stolen. Luckily I had it disconnected and the wiring was still intact.

Now the story gets good...

Contacted the owner of the lot and he proceeds to tell me about 1 week previous he pulled into the lot pulled to the back of it and when he got out of his pickup truck he saw a male subject walking towards the gate he had just come thru.

He starts to walk towards him and he does not recognize the subject. He yells out and the person turns and starts to walk towards him. Owner now knows he does not belong in lot at this point. He pulls his conceal carry and the subject then turned and high tailed it out the gate.

I routinely go to the lot (not far from home) and being a retired LEO I advised the owner of the lot the I have 30 feet of space to bury someone. He said specifically stated... "What you do with the space under your RV is your business". "Just let me know if you catch one and I'll be glad to help bury the individual (junkie)."

Thieves are on the same level as child molesters with me. I have zero patience for. With me...Judge, jury and executioner.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Today I made my monthly trip to my RV in storage to exercise the generator. But when I started up the motor...Sounds like NASCAR.

The last time I started the motor was exactly one month ago so sometime in July the thieves got to it.

I read about this happening to others and always think I'm lucky that my storage place is out in the country, out of sight of the highway and brightly lit and securely fenced.

But none of that matters after all.
I am over in Kerrville. A few months ago I had 2 guys come up my driveway and I met them outside my garage. Passenger got out and asked if my motorhome was for sale. I said no and then he started asking about my other vehicles. I told him to leave my property and filmed them as they were backing away. They started smiling and waving in a creepy way once they knew they were being filmed. I had a friend run their plate, it was a pretty new Ram 2500 pickup that came back with a Houston address. They were obviously casing my motorhome. That was March 31st... I haven't seem them since.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
Old 08-02-2021, 09:15 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
With so many district attorneys now not prosecuting it’s only bound to get worse. Little to no consequence. Truly upsetting.

Tags
cat