Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to burgmark
Caught in cold weather

So I'm camping and as you know a cold front moved in and temps here are expected to get down to 20 degrees tonight. I'm very concerned about water lines freezing up. The coach will be kept around 70 degrees inside; will that prevent water line freeze ups?
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #2

Where are you at 20s ???
It takes many hours sustained below freezing temps to freeze lines solid. If just overnight and above freezing by noon I wouldn't panic. I don't in Illinois come late October when we get 6-10 hrs below freezing even without turning on heat. Owners will pick up or drain their hose same circumstances.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Where are you at 20s ???
It takes many hours sustained below freezing temps to freeze lines solid. If just overnight and above freezing by noon I wouldn't panic. I don't in Illinois come late October when we get 6-10 hrs below freezing even without turning on heat. Owners will pick up or drain their hose same circumstances.
Thanks. Forecast is for 26 tonight but mostly around 30. Tomorrow night below freezing for 12 hours with mostly low 20s. I'm in West Yellowstone.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been in 20 degree temps several times just overnight.

Disconnect your water hose from the RV park pedestal and store it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've been in 20 degree temps several times just overnight.

Disconnect your water hose from the RV park pedestal and store it.
Thanks, never hooked up a water hose per the campground rules, just running off fresh water tank.

This is only my 2nd major trip in the RV and the first one during cold weather so I'm a little nervous. Thanks for your comforting words.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #6

if you have a late model rv it will have pex lines and they can take a real cold night without a problem just keep your heat on so you don't freeze!
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #7

I second

Have been in a trip last year with 4 days below freezings, and one that was at -25 f and everything was ok, but i have to mention that my wet bay and thanks are heated
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's going to depend on your camper. Let me understand it. It's going to26 tonight and high of 30 tomorrow. That sounds like 24+ hours below freezing. I would be concerned. I would fill my portatable water jug and bring it in the camper. I would do a quick winterize unless I new more about the camper's cold weather preparation.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have electric power you can place a 75 watt bulb in the water bay to prevent freezing. We were in Tucson, AZ when they had a cold spell for 3 nites. If I remember correctly it was 17 then 21 and the last nite 19. Placed the light bulb in the water bay and disconnected the water hose and never had a problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #10

You might also open all cabinet doors with water pipes inside, and let a faucet drip slowly overnight. Your gray tank should have plenty of room for a slow drip all night long. Don't leave your gray valve open with a sewer hose attached.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #11

If you have the stinky slinky out and the drain open with material in the hose it will freeze quick. It’s not under pressure so the hose won’t split or nothing. Just means you will have a poop icicle until it thaws the next day.

I wouldn’t worry about disconnecting the water for 1 or 2 nights. If it was going to be below freezing during the day then disconnecting would make sense.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
It's going to depend on your camper. Let me understand it. It's going to26 tonight and high of 30 tomorrow. That sounds like 24+ hours below freezing. I would be concerned. I would fill my portatable water jug and bring it in the camper. I would do a quick winterize unless I new more about the camper's cold weather preparation.
Only about 12 hours below freezing with low of 20.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
If you have the stinky slinky out and the drain open with material in the hose it will freeze quick. It’s not under pressure so the hose won’t split or nothing. Just means you will have a poop icicle until it thaws the next day.

I wouldn’t worry about disconnecting the water for 1 or 2 nights. If it was going to be below freezing during the day then disconnecting would make sense.
I don't use the slinky, I have a macerator and I just dump when the tank fills up.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:33 PM   #14
NXR

On ours, we must run the propane furnace to get heat to the basement compartments where there are water lines. Do you know about yours?

Ray

Tags
cold weather