Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #1

CB radio install 2008 Bounder

Newbie here
I have a 2008 bounder 38v
I would like to install a cb radio but unsure of where to mount the antenna?
If anyone has done this i would appreciate the help
Thanks
Jimmyjam6097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Two choices, (maybe three?)

1. On the roof which requires routing the cable down to the dash area. In my HR Ambassador (already has a roof antenna, but if it did not...) such an installation would not be terribly difficult to do, and relatively easy to seal up with Dicor.

2. Clamped or mounted to the top of your (driver's side?) mirror. Cable routed inside the mirror arm (the mirror heat wires should already be in there now) would keep it clean and professional looking.

3. (a maybe...) On the side of the RV up high. There are side mount CB antennas.

BTW, if you can, use a firestick antenna--I've had great luck with them in the past, but they are too tall to put on the roof IMHO... You'll be hitting bridges and overpasses! But on the rear-view mirror or the side of the RV they should work just fine.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A simple way to go is a through glass antenna that you attach to the driver's window.

https://www.amazon.com/Tram-WSP1198-...745917680&th=1
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:15 PM   #4

Nehog gives good guidance. I drilled the hole for the coax on the under side of the mirror arm. Water runs down the coax and drips off where the coax does a 180° bend to go into the hole. No sealant necessary.
Window mounted antennas perform poorly......

Richard
Old 02-13-2022, 10:44 PM   #5

If you choose to mount your CB antenna on a portion of the roof or the fiberglass body of the RV, you must use a No Ground Plane antenna. The "Firestik" brand which Nehog mentions is good choice. "Firefly" is another good brand. They are available in 2-foot and 3-foot lengths. The longer antenna will perform slightly better.

When a CB antenna is mounted to the metal body of a vehicle, the antenna uses the metal of the vehicle as a "ground plane" which basically forms half of the signal radiation system. If you mount the antenna to fiberglass, which is not reflective and does not conduct electricity, that ground plane is missing. Performance will be terrible if you use a regular CB antenna.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the '08 Bounder DP might have been built "CB ready" meaning that the antenna and coax were installed. Look on the front roof cap for two antennas. One will be AM/FM radio, the other will be CB (right side). If two antennas are there, the cable and a silver PL259 (female) attachment that screws onto the back of the CB (male) will be in the center area under the dash .

Tags
bounder, install, radio