Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Ceiling repair advice

Has anyone out there done a ceiling replacement of a bad section?

Specifically, I had a leak (again) around the shower sky-light and now am faced with some soft spots in the ceiling along with badly stained fabric. My thinking is I can replace the fabric inside the shower area with something like those shower tile boards, and use molding to make transition to the fabric outside the shower. Does not seem like a big job since shower surround goes to ceiling in the entire area and I can just remove that molding and replace when new panel in place. Fabric in that area seems silly.

This all came about due to an incorrect repair a year ago, I had the first sign of a leak there and went to local dealer who suggested removal, re-bed and reseal the skylight as correct fix, agreed and paid $250 for that. MH was back in storage when the leak recurred and went un-noticed. When I went up there and looked after finding the leak it became apparent to me that what I paid for was never done. What they actually did was put new sealant over old. When I brought it back to them, of course they told me they did what they said, and I asked the service manager if he inspects work when done, NO! I left it there telling him to go up there and look. He called me all apologetic saying that he has not talked to the tech who did it yet because he was off, but now realizes I am right and they will now fix right. Even though initially he told me that it was out of 90 day warranty and were not responsible for any problem. MH has been there for 2 days now and hope to have it back soon. Been dealing with this place 20 years and will be going to have a conversation with the owner on pick up. This is annoying stuff.

I have reposted here, since I only got one response on the National RV forum.

Thanks
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear of your leak and problem dealer. My skylight leaked and the fabric got discolored. I went on the roof and found hairline cracks in the seal. I resealed with Dicor sealer over the cracks and the leak went away. The following year we got in a rain storm and the same thing happened again. I went up and found more hairline cracks and resealed over them again. Actually Dicor recommends sealing over the old seal instead of tearing out the seal and starting over. The second time though I sealed the heck out of it and it's been good and tight since. I sprayed a degreaser we get from Costco on the discolored ceiling fabric and the stain came right off. Be sure and dab it as dry as you can after cleaning. Now, a part of my routine maintenance is checking very closely for hairline cracks in the skylight seal. Good luck and good luck with your dealer.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Sorry to hear of your leak and problem dealer. My skylight leaked and the fabric got discolored. I went on the roof and found hairline cracks in the seal. I resealed with Dicor sealer over the cracks and the leak went away. The following year we got in a rain storm and the same thing happened again. I went up and found more hairline cracks and resealed over them again. Actually Dicor recommends sealing over the old seal instead of tearing out the seal and starting over. The second time though I sealed the heck out of it and it's been good and tight since. I sprayed a degreaser we get from Costco on the discolored ceiling fabric and the stain came right off. Be sure and dab it as dry as you can after cleaning. Now, a part of my routine maintenance is checking very closely for hairline cracks in the skylight seal. Good luck and good luck with your dealer.
I did that last time too, but now thanks to the additional leak the wood, which I assume is a thin luan plywood, is soft and I think will need replacing. I will check when it is dry and maybe can get away with just cleaning but I don't think so.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, ceiling, repair