Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #15

Where is the air flow indicator? I have a isb 275
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan
Where is the air flow indicator? I have a isb 275
It will look something like this & be mounted somewhere close to the air filter and a small air line connects it to the intake plumbing:

http://www.filterminder.com/gafi_threaded.asp
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #17

Do all coaches have these? I can't find it anywhere
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Do all coaches have these? I can't find it anywhere
Mine is in the rear mounted on top of the radiator.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #19

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Probably a Farr-Ecolite. Not the best filter but sometimes easier to fit in the limited space available. Mine continually runs 15 and above, would like to go to a less restrictive filter but about all I can do is go to a larger size of what I already have and that would take all new intake plumbing. I think I can do it but need to study it some more. The piping and rubber pieces are readily available but I would need to have some welding on aluminum done for the restriction meter fitting.
Also, the rubber fittings to the filter should be replaced EVERY time the filter is changed. The old ones harden up and it's hard to get a good seal. If not sealed you can very easily end up with a "dusted" engine and no warranty will cover the rebuild. Air filters on a diesel are CRITICAL!
I have the sealed Ecolite filter that you mentioned. About what reading on the Filter Minder should I be seeing with a clean filter? My Filter Minder stays on the bottom of its cavity. I checked its operation and it's OK. I also checked the hose connecting it to the intake piping and that's OK too. Do I need to worry about a collapsed filter element, or is "no reading" on the Filter Minder normal when using a new/clean filter?
Thanks
Andy
3rd stage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Post this suggestion on the Cummins forum and ask for comments from Spike45. He is a retired field engineer for Fleetguard. A Diesel engine is a big air pump and consumes a lot of air. If it ingests 4-6 ounces of dust over its service life it will need rebuilding.

If you blow out your air filter and reuse it you are putting your engine at risk.
Thanks for the info. I have already replaced by filter. But I did blow it out a couple times before I changed it.
I won't take that chance in the future.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I blew mine out at 25K and the filter minder was in the red within 1K. Just bought a new Fleetguard on eBay for $45 shipped to my door.

I won't waste my time blowing it out again, unless I drive through a dust storm next week.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #22

Ok I found mine it was in the back with the radiator.

It's at 20, is that good or bad? Do you want it high or low?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I change my air filter every two years. (C-9 Cat, ecolite inclosed canister) I'm only putting about 3k to 5k miles on it each year right now (almost retired but not quite)and the air flow indicator has never shown any restriction to worry about. I just think moisture etc is more of a worry than it clogging up. Cheap insurance and piece of mind to not worry about it coming apart and ruining the motor. I used to put 120K miles a year on a Frieghtliner with a 350 cummins and I think we changed those air filters about every six months depending on conditions. Oil and fuel filters every 5k to 10K miles and we worked those motors hard, max weight bulk commodities, 80,000lbs+ all the time. Lots of times 100,000lbs gross weight. Those motors were still going fine with 1,000,000+ miles on them. My brother retired and sold his 86' Kenworth with over 3,000,000 miles on it and never had a major overhaul, only rod and main bearings (in frame). Keep all the fluids and filters changed and, like a lot of people here have said, that motor will out last the driver and the rest of the coach.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Ok I found mine it was in the back with the radiator.

It's at 20, is that good or bad? Do you want it high or low?

Assuming the air filter is not leaking air, the the lower the number on the gauge the better.

Of course, a leaking air cleaner or its connection hosing will show a low restriction value, but this would be bad because dirty air is getting to the engine.

Air filter restriction gauges indicate the amount of vacuum it takes to pull air through the air cleaner. As an air cleaner gets dirty, this air restriction goes up because of the restriction to air flow from the dirt.

The question about when the filter should be changed varies somewhat. Generally, when the gauge shows about 20 or 22, the filter should be changed. When it gets to 25 and above, the engine is probably struggling to get enough air to breath well.

When the filter is new, the restriction should be very low. If it is not, this may indicate the filter is too small for the engine.

By the way, the numbers on the gauge indicate the number of inches of water in a column that is pulled by any given level of vacuum. IE, it takes more vacuum to pull 15 inches of water than it takes to pull 10 inches. As noted, this value goes up as the filter is restricted by dirt.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
I changed mine (canister type) for the first time 3 years ago. It was mildly dirty and in good shape otherwise. Had the coach serviced today and in spite of my not having on the list, tech removed it "to check it.". He found a chunk of foam inside the filter on the intake side ...he looked for possible source but finally said he had no idea where it came from, all screens on intake are in place.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #26

MVPMICH - Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpmich View Post
My Cummins 6.7 has a similar filter with a metal housing. $65 with a 10% discount.
I tried to PM you but it wouldnt let me... Where did you get your filter? I was just at NAPA and the Napa 6748 was $165 with AAA discount. I am also in SE Michigan. Thanks for the help!
Sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
As others have stated, I would definitely replace the filter assembly for added peace of mind and engine protection. In addition, I would only use critical components like air, oil & fuel filters from a quality, reputable source. If I were to error, I would want it to be on overmaintaining my RV to avoid costly repairs and eliminate unforseen breakdowns. In

My Monaco came equipped with a Donaldson EcoLite series enclosed air cleaner assembly, see attached photos, and the Donaldson Engineers that I have spoken with generally suggest to replace these air cleaners filters on a condition based maintenance basis by watching the Restriction Indicator gauge OR at least every 5 years, even if the restriction indicator indicates it is still in good condition. This is because of the increasing potential for the sealing compound between filter media pleats and end caps to begin to break down that could result in small, undetected leakage pathways developing through the filter assy.

The best device to use to determine or monitor the condition of these air filter assemblies is a restriction indicator gauge that monitors the vacuum downstream of the air filter (between air cleaner outlet and turbo. For Cummins engines, Donaldson recomends a 25" water gauge be used for turbo engines whereas a 20" water gauge for a non-turbo engine. In my case, even with a ISC350 (8.3L) turbo engine, I use a 20" rated gauge and when the restriction indicator begins to approach 18-20 inches water, then it is time for me to replace the air filter. You may have occasions where the restriction indicator will move up the scale even with a good air filter, as a result of using an engine brake and the engine speeds reachor slightly exceed goverened speeds due to down shifting. In those cases just reset the restriction indicator and make sure it doesn't reach high levels during normal operation. I have attached a pdf document from Donaldson on this device.

There are a couple of things that could influence the restriction indicator not responding to a build of contamination in the air filter or instantaneous periods of higher engine speeds.
1. The filter assembly has rutured and unfiltered and unrestricted air is flowing through the air cleaner, which is not likely to happen if the system has been properly maintained.
2. The Restriction Tap Fitting that the Restriction Indicator is secured to, has the sintered bronze safety filter plugged with contamination and will not allow the gauge to sense any of the changes in vacuum in the air inlet system. I have included photos of this device on the attached pdf document.

I also would NEVER remove an air cleaner just to inspect it or try to clean it by blowing air back through it in the reverse direction of the natural air flow. If this is done, there is a high risk factor that you will enlarge the size of the pores in the filter media that will then allow more dust in, OR you my run the risk of separating the bonding seal between the filter media pleats and the end caps. Plus when reinstalling the used filter, there is a good chance you will knock some dust loose and it will be ingested directly into the intake manifold, thus creating more problems.

Hopefully the above information and attached files will be of help to those who have questions about air cleaner systems and restriction indicators.

Good Luck with your Maintenance Practices & Happy RV'g

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Donaldson EcoLite Filter & Informer Gauge.pdf (411.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: pdf Donaldson Informer Gauge Info.pdf (741.8 KB, 80 views)
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The latest word I've seen on air filters is to change every two years. Plus, with the Banks kit the engine needs more air so I want to keep the restriction down as much as possible. The filter material can pick up moisture and deteriorate and you sure don't want pieces of filter going through your turbo, or at least I don't.
I ordered one yesterday from RV Chassis Parts. Cost was $107 for the Ecolite we need. Through May they're offering free standard shipping on orders of 149.99 or more
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins