Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #15

Two solutions (the following are just example sources).
Big torque wrench - only need 130lbs on a 42" wrench to get 450ftlbs.

Torque Multiplier - variety of ratios even some hefty 6:1 models. Get a 1/2" drive input 3/4"output model and you can use your existing torque wrench.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #16

Since it didn't leak after you removed it I would suspect a rim leak. Sometimes the leak is very small and hence the bubbles from a soapy water test will be small. Check the entire rim, not just the bead.
towman 2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi RV Dude,
Thanks for the torque wrench tip. FYI, my air wrench is rated for 550 FT LBS of torque. My specs call for 450 - 500 lbs of torque. I own and have used torque wrenches for many smaller tasks, I am clueless when it comes to something this large. I like having my own tools. Do you have a recommendation on how long the extension bar might need to be so I could achieve the torque. Or do they come with or do I need to purchase a torque multiplier. I may be over 6' tall, but I weigh only 167 lbs.
i use a 600 ft lb 42" long 3/4 drive torque wr from harbor freight, about $60. they have 3/4 drive socket sets for about $50.
my 19.5 wheel lug nuts use a 33mm socket. a 1 5/16 socket is a sloppy fit, but works ok. these tools are good quality. the wheel cover nuts are 30mm or 1 3/16.
the lug nuts on my moho are supposed to be torqued to 475 ft lbs. my moho was 5 yrs old with less than 8k miles and my lug nuts were at 300-350 ft lbs.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
The current status of the guilty tire is that it has hired a team of defense lawyers (dream team?). I checked the PSI and it was at 85 PSI, right where I left it. At this time, I am not going to pull it out of the basement. This task is almost as much effort as actually changing the tire. If it is not leaking there will be no point to the soapy water test. For me, it is good enough for a spare tire and that will be it's job, until it is replaced. The tire I put on the coach is a new tire and ready to perform.

I put the torque wrench on my list of tools to purchase, when I return from this trip.

I do seek additional advice. Putting the torque wrench on rear axle dual wheel lug nuts will require an extension to get the wrench past the outer tire and coach. I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to create the fulcrum point so when I am hanging off the end of the 42" bar my weight just doesn't twist the socket off the lug nut. At this time my thought is to carry a piece of wood that will serve as the fulcrum support point. This would require the coach to be moved a few inches for every couple of lug nuts. Anybody got a better idea?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Oh to be young

Gary - just a silly question - how old are you? At 64 I am in no shape to be even thinking about such a task. The things you mechanical type do just leave me speechless. Hat's off to all of you.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
GaryKD
With a long enough extention you should be able to use your Safety Jack Stand as a fulcrum point. It adjusts as you move arounf the bolt pattern.
Just a thought. lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lyledavid,
Thank you for the jack stand suggestion. I do carry them, in the basement. When I read your post, I was struck by the simplicity of the solution. It became a "duh" moment for me. Thanks again.

Hi Rocket Heart,
I appreciate the kind words. I am 62 years old. I exercise daily (well almost) and eat healthy (except at Newmar Kountry Klub rallies).
Old 04-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #22

Your tire is either going to leak or not. No middle of the road there.

Valve stems can be weird; wiggle the one on your wheel to see if you can make it leak. If you can, you really should replace it rather than just tightening it further.

Also, wheel leaks aren't unheard of... I had one myself, and it was the absolutely last thing I suspected would be leaking. The leak occurs at the weld between the two halves of the wheel and is not easy to check or get at unless you have something to dunk the entire wheel into or use a LOT of soapy water.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The current status of the guilty tire is that it has hired a team of defense lawyers (dream team?). I checked the PSI and it was at 85 PSI, right where I left it. At this time, I am not going to pull it out of the basement. This task is almost as much effort as actually changing the tire. If it is not leaking there will be no point to the soapy water test. For me, it is good enough for a spare tire and that will be it's job, until it is replaced. The tire I put on the coach is a new tire and ready to perform.

I put the torque wrench on my list of tools to purchase, when I return from this trip.

I do seek additional advice. Putting the torque wrench on rear axle dual wheel lug nuts will require an extension to get the wrench past the outer tire and coach. I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to create the fulcrum point so when I am hanging off the end of the 42" bar my weight just doesn't twist the socket off the lug nut. At this time my thought is to carry a piece of wood that will serve as the fulcrum support point. This would require the coach to be moved a few inches for every couple of lug nuts. Anybody got a better idea?
the nuts on all of my valve stems were loose when i got my moho with less than 8k miles, 5 years old. i tightened them all between 1/6 and 1/3 of a turn when i installed the tst tire pressure and temperature monitoring system.
a metric socket will fit your lugnuts much tighter than an sae socket will. for the duals, i had to buy another 10" long 3/4 drive extension. the 2 extensions in the harbor freight 3/4 drive socket set were not long enough.
i like the idea of using a jack stand for support. my dw will like it too. she stabilized the wrench for me while i put most of my 200# on the end of the 42" torque wrench. i used a 1 5/16 socket rather than a 33mm.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #24

Gary

I had an inner dual that was losing air the way you describe -- went to the truck tire place and we took it off and tried to find a leak -- no luck. We were about at wits end as the offending tire was holding air. Then when in the water bath, we accidently bumped the valve stem and moved it just a fraction ---- behold -- a small air bubble came out. We found that the area around the stem had a little rust on the inside and depending upon where the stem was when I stopped, the pressure was letting the air out. We replaced with a new valve stem -- also set it with Murphy's Soap --- no leaks since then -- keeping fingers crossed.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
After reading the most recent posts, the valve stem and seal may be the most likely guilty party. When I get back to the stick house, I will take the tire to the truck tire shop and have them check it out. If they find nothing, I will have the entire valve stem assembly replaced.

I'm not pointing fingers, but I do have the Pressure Pro TPMS system on each tire. The valve stem and extension, for the inner dual tire is quite long. Of all the tires, on the coach, the inner dual valve stem assembly will be receiving the most lateral pressure.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Hi everyone,
This is an update. I got the torque wrench, socket extensions and used a jack stand as a fulcrum. All the lug nuts were torqued correctly by the air wrench. Set at 550 ft lbs the torque wrench made its' click sound. Set at 600 ft lbs I was not able to get the torque wrench to click.

The guilty tire has lost 1 1/2 lbs of air in almost 3 weeks of rest, in the coach basement. There is a leak, which is more pronounced when the tire is under load.

The plan is to leave everything as it is. I will check the spare tire monthly and add air as needed. Hopefully, the next time the this tire sees the ground will be when it is replaced with the other tires. The original spare tire (now the inside right rear dual) will return to basement as a spare tire or also be replaced, depends on age.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Gary,
Good post! Don't forget that tires with this much volume will vary substantially with outside air temperature. My tire monitors will alarm on a cold night (and I have to get up and turn it off) but next day things are back to normal.
John
05 Country Coach Inspire
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #28

GARY......Thanks for the posts. Very good info to have. I to carry a compressor and tools. But as noted would only change tire if in a safe level spot.