Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Twice with no "Rag Joint". Anybody know what that is.
Wikipedia.....I didnt know what it was either....
A rag joint refers to certain flexible joints (flexure bearings) found on automobiles and other machines. They are typically found on steering shafts that connect the steering wheel to the steering gear input shaft, usually at the steering gear end.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #16

Correct it is a rubber disk between where the steering shaft connects above the gearbox for steering. With out the rubber there is about 6-8 inches of play in the steering wheel ...witch the dealer told me was normal when we bought it... The play starts out easy to deal with and faster you go the harder to Controll it gets
Rockpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #17

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/lare...202/18340127-P
Old 12-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #18

It has a 454 between from seats . The rubber for rag joint is missing its just metal on metal till I get a hand to replace it . I picked up the replacement part .
Old 12-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #19

Sry no laptop reading on my cell phone. I don't see alot till I go back threw a few times lol
Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 AM   #20

Why won't your insurance company change the tire? You had an accident and this is part of the damage. Even without that you probably have road hazard insurance as part of your policy, why don't you use it.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know about both Thousand Trails Parks and clipping a mountain, though you did a better job of the latter (I only lost awnings).

This was not in a TT park (Though I've changed a tire in a TT park) but another one.. I told the poor guy who was having the devil's own time getting his TT or 5ER (forget which) up on blocks to level it "Do the best you can and we will move the blocks once leveled, I can only pick up 12 tons" he gave me that look.. You know, the one reserved for crazy people. and I went back to my RV and brought back two things

A portable air compressor (150 PSI for inflating RV tires) it is a "pancake" model with either a 4 or six gallon tank

and a 12 ton Air/Hydraulic bottle jack from Harbor Freight.

Then he understood.. I really can pick up 12 tons.. With the jack.

That's also the jack I sued to change a tire... Two of 'em in fact. One was even mine the other was my barber's and that one was in a TT park.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #22

Insurance company quoted 132$ exactly to have someone help change it
Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #23

AMA done mine for free with my annual membership and they brought me a brand new tire of my choosing to me. (I pay for the new tire of coarse)
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'm going go out on a limp, is the "rag joint" the steering column to steering box coupling? Seems it would be impossible to drive with it gone/broken......

Is this a rear engine MH? If so the drive shaft angle will be to severe with suspension down that it will fail rapidly. Also if unit has air brakes, have to get leaks fixed.....
OK, I get it. Steering coupler.

Way back when, I had on one occasion, made the coupling out of pieces of an old mud flap.

Must be tough steering with a ripped one. Most have pins to keep them from disconnecting completely.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #25

Yea it's not fun driveing it on mountain windy roads or freeway.i got a repair kit get done someday I have AAA but they won't do it unless I upgrade membership
Old 12-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpirate View Post
Yea it's not fun driveing it on mountain windy roads or freeway.i got a repair kit get done someday I have AAA but they won't do it unless I upgrade membership
Sound downright reckless to me. But that just me.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Cousin Eddie, is that you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481680952916.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	146661  
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpirate View Post
I have to do it my self I don't have 130$ for them to come out and do it we live in the rv thxs to ****** family screwing us over.we are looking for property to move onto and build a new home.

I can crack the lug nutz easy just worried about how to get it up safely...

Yea I drive the rv because it's not easy with it Haveing no rag joint . The guy came around my wife witch was behind me got up next to me and decided to come over. Cuz ya kno me doing 35 in a 45 zone on a windy mountain road wasn't bad enough ... Best part is I gota fix the coach to be let back into thousand trails now thxs to the new ownership wanting every rig to not even have a scratch on it.

Anyhow I will try the block idea I got plenty of wood

As for airbags I have to live with it like that till I can come up with money and figure out where/how to get it fixed. Is there a good website other then eBay for new/used parts? I've called a few places localy here in Cali but they don't do rigs older then 95
Man, you are braver than me! I wouldn't use the word "witch" in the same paragraph as "my wife" let alone immediately following!

I hope the humour makes you laugh--it seems that you could use one. Hope everything works out.
cdnrainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote