Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

Changing a rear tire w/no airbag help

Ok so i got the 88 winnebago super chief. With no rag joint in steering and no one that can help me change it it is very sloppy going and on the way to the thousand trails camp grounds some douche went flying around my wife Her car and I driveing rv and came over on top of me I swerved to not get hit but doing so I clipped a mountain mountain I took out my awning smashed a bin and destroyed a outer tire and my lovely airbags won't inflate they just hiss now

Anyhow I got a few days before I gota leave park I need to change a tire. How do I do so if I can't get under it lol

My rv Did not come with a jack my friend was letting me Barrow his 20 ton bottle jack but I can't even get my head under the beast
Rockpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your coach but if you have hydraulic levelling jacks you could use them to raise the chassis enough to get the jack in under. And the use of heavy duty jack stands is a great idea for safety.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and sorry to hear about your problem..

Hard to do on your own at this point. Even the lug nuts may be at 300- 400 foot pounds

Your best bet now is to contact a tire service and have them come to the campground. They can bring a replacement tire and equipment to do the job.. You said it was an outer dual, you may have to replace the inner as well, it would have been overloaded if you drove with the outer tire flat.

Your vehicle insurance may help with the tire service, but not the price of the tire.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Even if you get the tire changed you will have to deal with the airbag if it is hissing air out.
It would be unsafe to drive with an air leak like that as well as it would put undue stress on your drive shaft because of not being at proper ride height.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As for changing the tire if it is an outside dual you can run up on a block of wood with the inside tire and the outside will be off the ground. Not ideal but in your situation probably safer. Tire truck like suggested would be better.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach-Net or Good Sam ERS would be my suggestion.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Bet option is to call local heavy truck tire dealer, Goodyear, bridgestone, or the like to come to you for tire replace, it's not worth getting hurt over plus, What you going to do if you get it off? You have a spare?

The biggest problem is air suspension, hopefully it just pulled the level valve linkage off and won't air up, but worse case, the tire grabbed a air line or something and damaged it.

One the unit is jacked up and tire is off you'll be more informed.

If needed once tire is replaced, drive unit up onto some solid wood block so you can get under.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpirate View Post
Ok so i got the 88 winnebago super chief. With no rag joint in steering and no one that can help me change it it is very sloppy going and on the way to the thousand trails camp grounds some douche went flying around my wife Her car and I driveing rv and came over on top of me I swerved to not get hit but doing so I clipped a mountain mountain I took out my awning smashed a bin and destroyed a outer tire and my lovely airbags won't inflate they just hiss now

Anyhow I got a few days before I gota leave park I need to change a tire. How do I do so if I can't get under it lol

My rv Did not come with a jack my friend was letting me Barrow his 20 ton bottle jack but I can't even get my head under the beast

I guess I am as visual as my wife is. So a car flew around your wife Her car, came over on top of you but did not hit you? But you clipped a mountain mountain?

If your outer dual is flat you can drive the duals on a plank, or two or three, and get the flat dual off of the ground.

Good luck

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

Be careful about blocking the inner tire and driving up. On many wheels there's only one set of lug nuts. If the MH moves side to side at all the inner wheel will slip of as well.

A good tire man can change it with out removing lug nuts with it blocked up on the inner
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tire guys that come out to replace an outer tire on an OTR truck will block the inner tire on wood but they will also change the tire without removing the rim from the axle. Watch a guy while eating lunch at a Flying J. Took longer to air the new tire up then the remove and install.

If you're going to do this yourself you're going to need two jacks and jack stands to do it with any kind of safety in mind. Starting at the front place a jack under any part of the frame it will fit under and lift the coach high enough to get a jack stand under the frame. Repeat with the second jack and stand as close to the rear as the jack will fit. If you have to do it a third time use the front jack and stand. Basically you'll be walking the jacks and stands backward until the problem wheel is high enough to be removed.

You're also probably going to need a several lengths of wood to go under the jacks to get enough lift to pull the wheel. DO NOT USE BRICK, CEMENT BLOCKS OR ANY OTHER MASONRY. It will crack without warning and drop the coach.

Next problem is getting the lug nuts off. If you get the lugs off now you might facing the duals that could be frozen together.

I do a lot of driveway work on my coach but sometimes it's just best to call in the guys that do stuff like this several times a day and have the tools to do it right.

Good luck.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

I have to do it my self I don't have 130$ for them to come out and do it we live in the rv thxs to ****** family screwing us over.we are looking for property to move onto and build a new home.

I can crack the lug nutz easy just worried about how to get it up safely...

Yea I drive the rv because it's not easy with it Haveing no rag joint . The guy came around my wife witch was behind me got up next to me and decided to come over. Cuz ya kno me doing 35 in a 45 zone on a windy mountain road wasn't bad enough ... Best part is I gota fix the coach to be let back into thousand trails now thxs to the new ownership wanting every rig to not even have a scratch on it.

Anyhow I will try the block idea I got plenty of wood

As for airbags I have to live with it like that till I can come up with money and figure out where/how to get it fixed. Is there a good website other then eBay for new/used parts? I've called a few places localy here in Cali but they don't do rigs older then 95
Old 12-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #12

Heck as it sits guna be sueing the dealer we got it from. Only had it 2 months and found out he never smoged it on top of everything elts
Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #13

Twice with no "Rag Joint". Anybody know what that is.

Drive it up on blocks so you can get a hydraulic jack under the axle. Then pick it up off the blocks an inch.

Do NOT take the outer wheel off, with the inner wheel holding up the MH.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #14

I'm going go out on a limp, is the "rag joint" the steering column to steering box coupling? Seems it would be impossible to drive with it gone/broken......

Is this a rear engine MH? If so the drive shaft angle will be to severe with suspension down that it will fail rapidly. Also if unit has air brakes, have to get leaks fixed.....