Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Changing antifreeze (how often)

The motor is listed at 2004. I have never changed antifreeze! Some mechanic's say I should change it an some say forget it. I am interested in what do people hear say? Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a set of test strips for our antifreeze. It turned out that the antifreeze was no longer making the grade so we changed it. Our rig is a 2003 and we changed it 3 years ago!

Happy trails!

Eric and Carol Anderson
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #3

A friend of mine was a chemist at Dow and served the auto industry.

Summary:
It is not the antifreeze that goes bad. It is the corrosion inhibitors.

When those stop being effective, you get to buy big expensive parts. If you know what chemistry your coolant used, you can get replacement materials to add. If you add the wrong material, the stuff can all turn to goo and you still have expensive repairs. So, dump the coolant, it is the cheapest fix.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My question is what do you do with the old antifreeze?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I say you should find another mechanic!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
My question is what do you do with the old antifreeze?

In my area the local landfill will take it and expose of it accordingly.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought our 2002 Windsor in 2008, to my knowledge it had the original coolant. I had been using the test strips but really could tell any difference. I did install a coolant filter with the additives annually. Early last year I decided to have it tested. Bought a kit from JG Lubricants, took a sample on Monday and sent it in and got the results via email on Thursday evening. The coolant tested as if it was new, everything in spec and no sign of contamination.

Unfortunately I had road debris take out my radiator in May and had to have a complete flush and new coolant installed so I guess I'm good for another 13 years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Recommended change interval is 5 years. I do mine every 5 years in every vehicle I own. I also do brake fluid flush and refill every 5 years.
Some will say its a waste of money to do it that often. I say its a waste of money not to.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The garbage company accepts the used anti-freeze in my area. It is turned with the hazmat folks.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Recommended change interval is 5 years. I do mine every 5 years in every vehicle I own. I also do brake fluid flush and refill every 5 years.
Some will say its a waste of money to do it that often. I say its a waste of money not to.
Actually it depends on the coolant. There are different change intervals for "normal" coolant and Extended Life Coolant (ELC).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
The motor is listed at 2004. I have never changed antifreeze! Some mechanic's say I should change it an some say forget it. I am interested in what do people hear say? Thank You

Took mine to a Petro truck stop
$ 120 , 2 hours 10 gallons red antifreeze Done including the front heater core
They did my oil change also (synthetic 10 gallons) oil filters and fuel filters (2) $200. Greased all zerks
When all done the Tech took me into the pit and I got to check underneath the MH
Very satisfied.
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAN View Post
With the coach being a Itasca Sunova 29R it's probably built on a gas chassis but which chassis is unknown without additional info. Change intervals are prescribed by the engine manufacturer and will be listed as mileage or age for changing. I don't know the GM spec but Ford list 100,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first then ever 3 years or 50,000 miles after the initial change.

Its listed in the back of the scheduled maintenance guide under exceptions. The exceptions also list for Class A Motorhomes to change the transmission fluid change at 30,000 miles and a brake fluid every two years.

I would change it at the next opportunity and also change the thermostat and drive belt while your at it as preventative in nature.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I don't know the GM spec
GM claims the Dex-Cool (Coolant) has a service interval of 5 years or 150,000 miles.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
With the coach being a Itasca Sunova 29R it's probably built on a gas chassis but which chassis is unknown without additional info. Change intervals are prescribed by the engine manufacturer and will be listed as mileage or age for changing. I don't know the GM spec but Ford list 100,000 miles or 5 years which ever comes first then ever 3 years or 50,000 miles after the initial change.

Its listed in the back of the scheduled maintenance guide under exceptions. The exceptions also list for Class A Motorhomes to change the transmission fluid change at 30,000 miles and a brake fluid every two years.

I would change it at the next opportunity and also change the thermostat and drive belt while your at it as preventative in nature.
Sweetbriar: I was confused about the 3 years 50,000 miles versus the 5 years 100,000 miles change period. I talked to the chief engine designer at Ford while at the dealer show and he said Ford uses distilled water mix in the antifreeze. Most owners uses tap water and introduce chemicals into the radiator. If you use distilled water the longer period is acceptable.