Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #15

we removed all the carpet from our class C over a year ago and replaced it with glue down solid Cork squares they come in a multitude of colors and are very durable one month last winter never above freezing and the hottest june on record in SC as well as 5000 miles and a beach trip and it still looks new water resistant low inpact and inviromentaly frindly I installed it my self and I will never instal any thing elese it was a joy to work with I still catch my wife looking at the floor when I ask if theres somthing there she says no it just looks so good just google cork flooring
mbass777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I was considering the Allure flooring until I read the temperature limitations stated in the installation manual. 95 degrees max...our mh will reach temps of over 120 degrees while in storage.

Copied from the Allure Installation Manual:

Heat and cold resistant: allure
planks can be frozen without damage.
Our adhesive can get down to 15 degrees
Fahrenheit (or -10 degrees Celsius).You can
put allure in the freezer, I don’t know why
you would, but be our guest. allure can
take the heat and definitely can stay in the
kitchen — but if you let your home get over
95º F for an extended period of time, you
will damage the floor and melt the
adhesive — if you let your house stay over
95º F degrees for an extended period of
time, all your furniture might melt! That’s just
too darn hot.
And in winter it definately gets below 15F in storage...last winter we saw -5F

So it seems that the manufacturer is saying that allure is only good for interiors that are temp controlled all the time...

Austin in August 105F
Austin in Jan 10F

Allure 15 to 95

Doesn't seem this product is designed for MH use...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #17

I'm definitely intrigued by this Allure vinyl flooring. I live in Ontario Canada so extreme heat really isnt a problem here. I watched a video on youtube and it looks like pretty nice stuff- easy to install.

I'm thinking I might put some sort of sound deadening material on the floor before installing the vinyl rather than putting it straight on the wood flooring?

Not sure if it will work well that way as it would probably make the floor spongy under the vinyl? hmmm I do like the idea of cutting out as much road noise as I can...so I can clearly hear my kids screaming and fighting in the back lol

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I'm definitely intrigued by this Allure vinyl flooring. I live in Ontario Canada so extreme heat really isnt a problem here.
If you keep the rv in a heated garage during the winter then the 15 degrees F limitation shouldn't be a problem either.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to read the following blog, there appears to be some bad batches of this Allure from China. The comments after the blog story are the most interesting.

ottoblotto's blog: Allure Flooring Stinks

Best,

ruppr
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Alllure flooring

We installed allure a few years ago, and never had a odor issue. I have 3 more boxes in my basement, I am going to install in my closet (someday).

Pictures of the install:RV new flooring pictures from project spotlight photos on webshots
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
If you keep the rv in a heated garage during the winter then the 15 degrees F limitation shouldn't be a problem either.
I only WISH!

I have so much RV garage envy.....
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I want to change out my carpet to a different type flooring and was leaning strongly towards the Allure product but after reading that it couldn't withstand high (95) temperature I'm not sure which way to go.

I've watched this thread and apparently nobody has had a problem with Allure in high temp but it sure seems to be a lot of work to go through if the glue starts to come loose.

Yesterday the ambient temp was 103 so I decided to check the mh temp but since my thermometer only goes to 130 and it was pegged I don't have a clue how hot it got inside the mh.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #23

One option I intend to investigate further is cork. I saw some cork laminate at a Menards store in the midwest (none here in CO). It was about 12" x 36" with a cork top layer laminated to a particle board interlocking base like Pergo, but felt quite a bit lighter in weight. I think it has a water resistant coating and is supposed to wear well but still feel a bit soft. It locks together and floats like any engineered floor. I know they have full cork tiles also that are glued down. That might be a good option, but the installation is probably a lot harder and messy. Anyone have experience with cork?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
We just finished installing Allure. We took out the combination of tile and carpet, leaving the carpet in the drivers area and the carpet that was on the slide. It went very well. So far no slide scratching. We carefully examined that aspect before proceeding. Out coach doesn't have rollers. but the "bars" don't touch the flooring. They did leave a slight imprint on the old carpet, but the allure is thinner than that. The trickiest part is the floor to slide area. You must keep separation at that point or the slide will tear up what you just placed.
Joe
did you install the allure up to the slide or did you stick the allure slightly under the edge of the slide,,,,if so how did you hold the allure down? thanks
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
did you install the allure up to the slide or did you stick the allure slightly under the edge of the slide,,,,if so how did you hold the allure down? thanks
faye,
it appears that you sent me an email via irv2, but don't allow me to answer you via irv2 mail.
check my post and pics about my allure installation. you can look it up in the archives.
my allure floor is holding up well.
i tried to cut the carpet about 1'' back or as far as i could reach with a carpet knife under the slides. i used a long screwdriver and a hammer to loosen the staples under the slides and channel lock and vice-grip pliers to pull the carpet and foam backing out. it was difficult and i probably could have done a better job of it. i used double back tape to hold the flooring slightly under the slideouts and around the stairwell. the first time i retracted the slides, i got small scratches in 8 places on the floor from the front slide. i put down 8 allure strips on the floor when retracting the front slide to keep the scratching from getting worse. this is not a problem for us.
if you need more info after reading all my floor posts, my email address is in my cp.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
faye,
it appears that you sent me an email via irv2, but don't allow me to answer you via irv2 mail.
check my post and pics about my allure installation. you can look it up in the archives.
my allure floor is holding up well.
i tried to cut the carpet about 1'' back or as far as i could reach with a carpet knife under the slides. i used a long screwdriver and a hammer to loosen the staples under the slides and channel lock and vice-grip pliers to pull the carpet and foam backing out. it was difficult and i probably could have done a better job of it. i used double back tape to hold the flooring slightly under the slideouts and around the stairwell. the first time i retracted the slides, i got small scratches in 8 places on the floor from the front slide. i put down 8 allure strips on the floor when retracting the front slide to keep the scratching from getting worse. this is not a problem for us.
if you need more info after reading all my floor posts, my email address is in my cp.
sorry, my son set up my e-mail as i am not real computer savy. i think the thing that is worrying us is how to do under the slides. we have a national and the slide comes out right on top of the carpet and i just don't know how a carpet knife could be gotten under it. we are afraid to just start pulling as there seems to be some plastic gliders underneath the slide that are on top of the carpet and if we just pull it out, the gliders would also come out. thanks so much for your replies.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
faye, Which National do you have? Is your slide sitting on 3 black plastic skids? I just did my 2001 Tradewinds and really learned a lot.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
faye, Which National do you have? Is your slide sitting on 3 black plastic skids? I just did my 2001 Tradewinds and really learned a lot.

we have the 2004 seabreeze lx...slides tracts black, but looks like tracts with teeth from the outside...we only have about 1/2-3/4 inch space between the floor and the slide from the inside...looking under it looks like there are also some plastic gliders underneath the slide.. we finished removing the carpet today and most of the staples....we chose a new scratch resistant pergo laminate that looks and feels like real wood and it has the foam backing....says it can be used in kitchen and bathroom...we are going to leave the carpet in the bedroom..what do all of you think about the pergo laminate before we install it? when using the laminate that has a foam backing are you also using the foam moisture barrier? have any of you put laminate in the bathroom? we are still trying to figure out the area going under the slide ...we have left about 1/2 inch of carpet as we were afraid to pull what is left out since those plastic gliders are on top of it and we would possibly pull those out and mess something up...when we got the carpet off the dinning area slide we found two large bolts that were coming up from the slide and had been covered up with the carpet...anyone had this in a national and what did you do? all of you have been so helpful and we still need some help with above questions... one other thing, we are thinking of leaving the linoleum in and putting the laminate over this as the carpet is really glued down....what is your opinion on that? many thanks to all who have responded.