Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Changing from Balancing Beads to Centramatic Wheel Balancers

I'm currently using balancing beads in the fronts of my 2015 40' DP with IFS and 13,000 miles but not overly impressed with this. Thinking about changing to the Centramatic wheel balancers and was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so did it make any improvement in the balance ride? I understand the beads will have to be removed first, which I didn't realize.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm currently using balancing beads in the fronts of my 2015 40' DP with IFS and 13,000 miles but not overly impressed with this. Thinking about changing to the Centramatic wheel balancers and was wondering if anyone has done this, and if so did it make any improvement in the balance ride? I understand the beads will have to be removed first, which I didn't realize.
Just curious, what is your problem with the beads? I had beads installed in my new tires about 15,000 miles ago and have no problems. In fact, I was impressed with how smooth they run. Not disagreeing, just interested.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your correct with the beads needing to be removed, this was the reply I received from Centramatics

Quote:
GOOD DAY
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INQUIRY
ANYTHING INSIDE THE TIRE CANNOT BE USED WITH THE BALANCERS.
THEY OPERATE ON TWO DIFFERENT DIAMETERS, THEY WILL FIGHT EACH OTHER

REGARDS,

JERRY ROBERTSON
DIRECTOR OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT
CENTRAMATIC
I'm following their advice when my new front tires and balancers get here anytime now.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me I have had no problems with the beads in several vehicles over the years and countless miles with 22.5 tires, I'm just looking to try something I think would be better.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
For me I have had no problems with the beads in several vehicles over the years and countless miles with 22.5 tires, I'm just looking to try something I think would be better.
I've used both. I don't know that one balances the tire any better than the other, just another way to skin the proverbial cat. Go for it if you so desire.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #6

I have the balance rings, the ones with Mercury, and I'm disappointed with them. They will go out of balance for a few minutes then balance out again. No rhyme or reason when they do it.
Once they balance they are fine. Is this normal?
Any one else have this happen?

good luck

pointrow
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I've used both. I don't know that one balances the tire any better than the other, just another way to skin the proverbial cat. Go for it if you so desire.
I'm thinking more of balancing the brake rotor as well this time around. Sometimes I subscribed to never leave well enough alone
Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

I had a "shimmy" that weight balancing did not cure and I went with Centramatic. For starters, the tire shop installed the rear ones incorrectly and it put pressure on the valve stem extension leading to a flat and ruined tire. But still I had some shimmy.

Disgusted with this whole experience, I went to another tire shop to have the Centramatic balancers removed for return and to rebalance with weights. These guys cared enough about their job to point out that one of the tires was out of round. This was my issue.

New tire, balanced with weights, no issues.

Long story short - before you start throwing money at it, have a tire shop spin your tires while you watch and confirm you don't have a tire with a defect. I've always been told it is hard to balance an egg.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

It seems like any time I've stopped for one reason or another it make take the next 50 miles before the vibration in the floor under my feet some what subsides. But as stated above it seems like everything is nice and smooth for a little but then the vibration starts again, then may disappear for a few minutes. Extremely smooth new black top highway is practically vibration free but any slight bump seems to start the vibration again.

Also, as stated above, I may have an out-of-round tire. I've thought maybe about going to a shop that has the equipment to True Up a tire but then you do lose some tread. Never have had to change tires due to tread wear anyway. But I probably should go to the local Michelin dealer and have them measure the front tires for out-of-round. Although the last time I did that on my other vehicle their specs were so absurd the tire still didn't qualify for a bad tire.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
It seems like any time I've stopped for one reason or another it make take the next 50 miles before the vibration in the floor under my feet some what subsides. But as stated above it seems like everything is nice and smooth for a little but then the vibration starts again, then may disappear for a few minutes. Extremely smooth new black top highway is practically vibration free but any slight bump seems to start the vibration again.

Also, as stated above, I may have an out-of-round tire. I've thought maybe about going to a shop that has the equipment to True Up a tire but then you do lose some tread. Never have had to change tires due to tread wear anyway. But I probably should go to the local Michelin dealer and have them measure the front tires for out-of-round. Although the last time I did that on my other vehicle their specs were so absurd the tire still didn't qualify for a bad tire.

Just my opinion, if you have an out of round or other defect in a tire, the vibration would be there almost always but subject mainly to change in speed. What you describe could possibly be a result of beads that are sticking together until they warm up or something of that nature. What type or brand of beads do you have? I'm thinking maybe moisture might be the culprit causing the beads to clump. Have you talked to a truck tire shop? I'm sure your situation is not unique in the business.
Can you pinpoint the vibration to a particular wheel?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The smoothest running tires I've had so far were Hankook AH-12's balanced with Equal powder.

That said, I had a similar problem with my current rig which had new Michelin XZA2's balanced with some beads put in by Tom Johnson's when we bought the coach (tires were new). So I had the beads removed, the steer tires balanced with weights and Centramatics installed. They run smooth now. The folks at Centramatics told me it was fine to install the balancers on tires that had been spun balanced with weights as long as the weight required to balance the tires did not exceed a certain number which I cannot recall.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What does out of balance feel like on a DP?

I "think" my coach rides fine. On newly paved roads, I can't notice anything...but maybe it could be better and I don't know it.

But the majority of times, our roads are bumpy enough that I think it would mask any symptoms of unbalanced tires.

So my question is with a Heavy DP chassis on tires inflated to 110 PSI, how do you know if you would benefit from balancers?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Neither the beads nor a Centramatic (or similar) can 100% balance a badly out-of-round or off-balance tire. They have only a limited range they can handle successfully. Wheel weights, on the other hand, can be added and spread around, on both inner and outer edges, until the right balance is achieved. Often a tire that badly off-round can be fixed by "truing", where the tread is ground down a little to remove high spots. Then the beads or Centramatic works fine.

My guess is that if the beads don't do the job for you, the Centramatics may not either. I would have the tires checked out before spending the bucks on the Centramatics.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

About 3500 Miles ago I put all new Michelin's on. With that we installed Centramatic rings on the front and beads in the rear tires.

Wow! For the most part the ride is smooth. Very Happy..

Cheers,
Don
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote