Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2021, 05:33 AM   #29

The somewhat new push is to put 120v outlets ground pin up, as keeps power blades inserted and ground up, if something falls/lays on plug. The same thinking doesn't work for a 50A RV plug/cord that all are ground down and very heavy.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2021, 07:59 AM   #30

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
We got nothing better to do, Brent.

I'd probably end up doing it myself, live if I had to standing on a piece of wood wearing rubber gloves. But first, if there was something above I could hang something from, I'd add a screw and just bungee cord the cable to it.
Best answer ever.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
We got nothing better to do, Brent.

I'd probably end up doing it myself, live if I had to, standing on a piece of wood. .
Is that why electrictans wear wooden shoes ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #32

Am I missing something? Take cover plate off, pull receptacle out, disconnect wires, turn plug over, reconnect wires?
tarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnold View Post
Am I missing something? Take cover plate off, pull receptacle out, disconnect wires, turn plug over, reconnect wires?
He was told he couldn't.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I agree with " Brentw ".

Your not going to pop the face plate off, pull out the receptcal with 4, 6 gauge wires connected, simply spin them 180 degrees and push them in and pop the cover back on.

You guys who suggest that ? Have you ever worked with that size wire ?

To the OP, go to the home store and buy a 50 amp, electric range cord and receptcal. The clerk can help.
Put it together and use it in the storage place.
work with it all the time, if there is room in the box it can be done , but yes disconnecting the wires is the right way. Cannot imagine the skills of the original installer, sounds home owner for sure. And it shouldn't be #4 unless someone really went cheap and used aluminum.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
work with it all the time, if there is room in the box it can be done , but yes disconnecting the wires is the right way. Cannot imagine the skills of the original installer, sounds home owner for sure. And it shouldn't be #4 unless someone really went cheap and used aluminum.
Sorry to be rude, but if you"worked with it all the time", you should know that there is a very good possibility that the feed to this receptacle is #4 awg because of voltage drop.
Especially at a storage facility that is spread out over a large area.

Tim
TB673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Sorry to be rude, but if you"worked with it all the time", you should know that there is a very good possibility that the feed to this receptacle is #4 awg because of voltage drop.
Especially at a storage facility that is spread out over a large area.

Tim
Sorry ,rude or whatever, a single run of 200 feet for a plug is a long way. In what world do you make individual runs that far? In one in which you are selling the wire I guess. We use junction boxes as I'm sure you do.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:10 PM   #37

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Not that I've seen - most NEMA 14-50P made in the last decade or so have the cable exit below the neutral pin, although there are some with "straight" cable exit like a conventional Edison plug.. What is the storage lot manager's problem with proper orientation of the outlet? Turning it around will put less stress on their outlet from the shore power cord... i.e. it's in their interest to have the outlet flipped around.
Easy fix, just get your screwdriver out unscrew the screws on the plug face plate pull it out and rotate it and tuck the wires back in while pushing the plug back into the box re-install the screws and you're done. It is a simple do-it-yourself project.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas John View Post
The 50 amp plug orientation on my motorhome is 180 degrees out of sync with the orientation of the wall plug in my storage unit. The owners of the storage unit are not eager to change the orientation of the storage unit plug. So right now I have to lead the plug lead from my coach above the wall plug and then bend it down so the plug on my coach matches the wall plug orientation. If I don't use a zip tie to secure the wire from my coach to the conduit above the wall receptacle the bend in the wire tries to pull my plug out and puts an excessive bend on the wiring from my coach.

Is there a dongle type arrangement that has a 50 amp female receptacle on one end with a 50 amp male plug on the other where the male plug orientation is 180 degrees different from the female end?
If you are relatively handy, and comfortable around electricity, you can re-orient the outlet without having to remove any wires. Just remove the cover plate, remove the mounting screws, rotate the outlet 180 degrees, reinstall in place. While I do my own electrical work, 240VAC can be scary. Be careful not to touch any wires or contacts, unless you can turn off the circuit breaker for your space. A proper installation will have a circuit breaker nearby. Otherwise you may have momentary arcing whenever you go to plug in your coach. That’s why RV campground Pedestals have CBs for 50, 30, & 20 amp outlets. I am aware that the wires will likely be AWG6, and rather stiff; so you may have to remove the wires, rotate the receptacle, and re-attach the wires, paying attention to their proper assignment. If you don’t know, you should not attempt this yourself.
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
OK , a second thought , I always have them .

I remember trying to correct the outlet in my S&B for the range , and the outlet plate could not be rotated to fit the box any other way but the way it was installed . Not to code !

If the conduit comes down from above and the box is installed wrong then the outlet plate might not be able to be turned to correct the issue .

Any chance you could post some pictures .

Who is that detective with that coat... One more thing, drives a neat car and chews on his cigar
Old 05-13-2021, 04:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Who is that detective with that coat... One more thing, drives a neat car and chews on his cigar
Columbo
Old 05-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #41

Just circle the cord around the plug box and plug in. If you need to steady the cord use those easy to remove hanging hooks of sufficient strength and a wee bit of string with loops at each end should to be able to support your chord weight at least partially to keep the plug from falling out!

If you need a change in plug type like I needed then you have to use the dongle to change the plug type and support that whole thing just as mentioned above. Those dongles are ubiquitous in most building supply stores and even some tool stores. Heck I even saw some at wally world.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #42

NEMA plug types....

https://acupwr.com/pages/nema-chart