Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Charge air cooler leak not the only problem

2002 HR Neptune dp 275hp cummins ISB.

Three years ago we had a mobile oil change outfit change oil and filters. On our way north we stopped at a rest stop to find the whole rear of the coach plus the entire exterior of the enclosed trailer we were towing coated with oil. Upon investigation, I found that there was around a gallon (at this point, no idea how much was pumped out until then) too much oil in it.I drained out the oil until it was right on the stick and proceeded the rest of the 1000 mile trip. I tried degreasing the radiators at my nephews,and again when I got back to Myrtle Beach.
We sprung a leak in the charge air radiator, and I brought it in a few days ago. Bottom line: New charge air radiator and the engine radiator needed to be cleaned. It was just as bad as the charge air. I m really surprised that I didn't over heat and blow something like a head gasket somewhere in the last few years. Just a reminder to check your radiator and charge air cooler for cleanliness! This is costing us a total of $1600 for the air cooler and cleaning of the radiator. Which, truthfully, I didn't think was too bad of a price. The pic is of the charge air cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	295694  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Sounds to me like the mobile service people are responsible for the cost.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #3

Holy smokes that thing is coated bad . The CAC must have been popular size to get such a good price for the whole deal.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Sounds to me like the mobile service people are responsible for the cost.

They went out of business the same year we used them. They spilled oil on the ground and had to clean it up, it was a disaster. I change oil myself and hire out the fuel filters now.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Holy smokes that thing is coated bad . The CAC must have been popular size to get such a good price for the whole deal.

The shop found somewhere that would fab one up. They don't have one on the shelf. I just dropped $600 with this shop on my F250's AC condenser. They may have cut me a deal. The air charge unit costs around 800 with 800 labor.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It cost me $1600 to have my CAC rebuilt, it was already out of the rig since I was having my radiator replaced.

You got a heck of deal.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

This is why I do my own maintenance!

My daily driver is a 2yr old Kia sport utility. For warranty purposes I take it to a local GM dealer for oil changes (no Kia dealer nearby). I supply the factory Kia filter, and a note is taped to the top of the box telling them the the quantity, and grade of oil I want them to put in.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #8

I replaced my CAC cooler last year as it was leaking. CAC cooler was around $800 from a radiator vendor. This is on a Freightliner chassis.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leak, problem