Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #1

Charge converter?

Strange problem. I keep my 2005 Lapalma in storage. I went today to do a little cleaning. I started the generator and the house batteries showed 11v. I finished about 2 hours later and the house batteries dropped to 8.5v. I started the engine and no change. As soon as I stopped the generator, the house batteries went up to 13v. The house batteries are 2 6v batteries wired in series and just over 1 year old.

I checked the voltage at the charge converter output and it's 14v.

Do you think it could still be a charge converter issue?
joecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #2

NO, there is no such thing as a charge converter. The inverter likely has a built-in battery charger though, is it turned on?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:22 PM   #3

What voltage did you measure at the batteries ? Gen set running ? Engine running ?

Did those voltage readings agree with the display ?
Old 10-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
NO, there is no such thing as a charge converter. The inverter likely has a built-in battery charger though, is it turned on?
Although you're technically correct, I believe the OP is referring to a "converter" which charges his batteries. There are inverters, inverter/chargers and converters. In my experience, converters are more common than inverter/chargers.

https://www.parkedinparadise.com/inverter-charger/
Old 10-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Did you have the Use/Store switch on ?

The converter/charger will output good voltage but not get to the battery if the switch is off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:31 AM   #6

This is what I was referring toClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211024-023031_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	346986
Old 10-24-2021, 07:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Joe,

I had a somewhat similar problem in my previous coach. Everything worked when plugged in or with the genny running. Good output from the converter, but nothing at the batteries.

I finally discovered that I’d tripped a breaker in the charge circuit. Once reset all was well.

Might be worth a look?

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoop View Post
Do you think it could still be a charge converter issue?
No I don't. I have the same charge/converter that you do and the same battery set up you do. It's a very good SMART 4 stage unit.

One thing I discovered years ago though is, the use/store switch that Twinboat mentioned. You may call it the house battery switch. But whatever you call it, when your plugged in to shore power, or engine running, or generator is running—in other words—anytime you have power coming into the coach the light on that switch will be lit, making you think the switch is ON. BUT....it doesn't mean it's ON or engaged and charging the batteries. You have to physically turn the switch ON.

When you put the coach in storage do you have like a 15amp outlet that you plug the coach into to keep your batt's topped off? If you do, I suspect when you left the storage unit the last time, you didn't turn ON that house battery switch, therefore the batt's will not be charging while your gone. You came back later and found them @ 11V. Understandable. Then you did some cleaning further depleting the batt's. Nothing you did to charge them worked because the switch is still OFF.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

I don't have a way to charge the batteries when it's in storage but I do have battery disconnects for the house and chassis batteries. I turn both off whenever I leave the storage.

I checked the voltage at the battery and it was just over 12v. I then started the engine and the voltage was 14v. Then I started the generator with the engine still running. The voltage went to 12.7v and kept dropping. I shut the generator off and the voltage came back to 14v with the engine running.

I've also had this problem plugged in to 50 amp shore power. I woke up to a beeping sound in the middle of night. It was from the refrigerator with low DC. Running the engine for a few minutes brought the volume back up.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #10

Ok , just so I have your issue and what you've done so far completely straight in my mind.
Questions

When hooked to 120 volt power , you checked out put at the converter and found 14 volts . Correct ?

Did you check ; with your volt meter; that you were getting the same 14 volts at the batteries ?
When running the gen set and the engine , the voltage drops .
Are you measuring this voltage drop at the batteries or the converter , with your meter , or relying on an internal display ?

Because your batteries are charging from the alternator , but not apparently from the converter , I suspect a bad connection between the converter and the battery , either a cable connection or internal contacts in a solenoid .
Can you physically follow the wiring from the converter to the coach battery , and look for bad / loose connections or a solenoid ( relay ) along the way ?

Tags
converter