Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Charge Wizard Concern

I just installed a PD9260 to replace my aging Magnetek 7345 converter. All seems to work well except the charge wizard remote pendant is not responding. The converter is charging the batteries at 13.6 volts. According to the manual it should go into to maintenance mode within 30 hours and drop the voltage down to 13.2v. I checked the remote connections and all looks good, but the pendant does not light up, flash or respond to holding the mode button down.
I will probably have to call Progressive Dynamics tomorrow for tech support, but it's too late tonight to reach them.
Anybody have any idea what might be the problem

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,
What is the incoming AC voltage? Can you measure it accurately?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I did check that, it's 122v

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
John,
The spec's normally given for inverters, converters are based on 120 volts input voltage. Anything higher or lower may be reflected in the DC charge voltage. This may not be your problem since I can't explain your charge wizard malfunction but keep this in mind if you find your charge voltage is high after you fix the wizard.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The spec's call for 13.6 volts to the batteries in normal charge mode so that's right on the money. I just don't understand why the remote pendant doesn't work. It uses an RJ11 modular connector and it seems to be connected to the converter OK.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
John,
As I remember with mine it was plug and play so the only thing I can think of is did the wizard connector click into the socket when you plugged it in the converter? In other words, the plug may not be in all the way.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, Plugged and clicked.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
OK, fellows, I'm confused. The Charge Wizard was used with the 91XX converters (XX is the amperage rating) such as the 9180 that's installed as factory equipment on our 5th wheel (and, yes, a Charge Wizard is installed on this converter). The 92XX converters had the Charge Wizard multistage charger management function built into the internal electronics. My understanding is that the "dongle" used on the 92XX converters was basically an external display, not a Charge Wizard that controlled the converter.

So, I don't understand the use of a Charge Wizard on a 92XX converter....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Did you use the cord supplied with the Charge Wizard? RJ11 cords can be straight through (I.e., pin 1 to pin 1, etc.) or crossed (i.e., pin 1 to pin 4, etc.).

Rick
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Rusty,
Your correct. Check this out.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
John,
Rusty is correct. You shouldn't be using the charge wizard with your converter. Check out the link in my post to Rusty.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about that guys, I should have clarified the remote pendant is not working. I do have the correct one plugged in P/N PD92201. Rusty is correct, the charge wizard is built in on the 9200 series, but I can't see what the converter is doing without a volt meter hooked up, and I can not toggle between charging modes.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I emailed Progressive Dynamics last night and received a support message first thing this morning. They gave me instructions to be able to determine if the converter or the remote pendant is faulty. Instructions as follows,

Quote:
Turn off the converter.
Disconnect the load to the converter.
Connect a DC voltmeter to the output.
When you turn on the converter it will cycle through the 3 voltages. 13.2,
13.6, 14.2 and then settle at 13.6.
If it does this the converter is OK.
I sent my address and they said they will send me a remote pendant in the mail asap!
I am more then satisfied with the support service I received from PD.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #14

I have an older converter in my fiver and ordered a new converter(9280) with my remote pendant. It arrived in good condition about a week later and I was excited and prepared to do the install. After the old WFCO came out and the new PD 9280 installed I went to plug in my remote. To my surprise there was no jack to plug it into. I ended up calling PD and they said someone put the old cover on my new 9280 and that I could drill out the rivets and they would send me a new cover OR I could just return the whole unit for an exchange. I chose the latter. The new unit had the remote socket so I installed the new unit. Then, I went onto clamping down the wires that fed the batteries in the new converter. Guess what... no screw in the terminal block! Another call to PD and they sent a screw to me. I finally got the the whole thing installed and plugged in the pendant. and... no light on the pendant. I tried everything but no joy. Another call to PD and they sent out a new converter and pendant and for all my trouble a second PD 6280 converter. I accepted their kind offer and was again excited when the new converters and pendant arrived. I checked them both out and again one of the 9280 converters had no jack socket. I installed the other one and placed yet another call to PD. They sent me out another 9280 converter and told me to keep the other one or toss it.

I like the system now that its working but their quality control needs some tweaking. I am, overall, happy with their customer service and they bent over backwards to make me happy but had they had a little better quality control, they would have had a very happy customer without doing anything in customer service. I hope you get your troubles worked out easily.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote