Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Charging issue. Need advice

I've got a 1992 rockwood regent series with the 5.9 cummins. I've replaced all 3 batteries, alternator, and checked all connections. Digital gauge and factory dash gauge still indicates that it's charging 16-16.5 volts. Any help would be appreciated.
Dieselpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #2

take a ohm meter start the engine and test what the batt. reads then shut it off and test again and see if it goes up or down from what the gauges say. if it is really charging at 16 volts replace the voltage reg. now that to check the engine charging system not if you plugged in to shore power

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

I've checked with a meter. It reads the same as my digital gauge. As far as the voltage regulator I'm thinking it's built in the alternator. I'm not aware of an external regulator.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #4

the next step would be take the alt. off and bring it to autozone they will test it for free. if the regulator is in the alt. and charging 16 volts then the alt. is bad some times new ones are bad. they can also tell you if your alt. has a regulator. that is the only thing that will let it over charge,
hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Thanks. I've replaced it with a new one because the old one done the same thing. I guess it's possible the new one is bad too.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6

Also I had my old one tested and it was 14.4 at advance auto but it also did 16v on the coach.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

that don't make cents

Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Alt replaced three times because of over charging. OOPS, wasn't the alt problem. seems the battery (2 of them) was BAD. didn't make a lick of sense to me but Battery company reimbursed me for ALL 3 alt and labor plus gave me 2 new batteries. Suggest you check batteries and see if they are asking for further charge. I don't know exactly what test they performed to come to that conclusion but they paid thru the nose for alternators, labor and batteries. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #9

Dieselpusher, You'll need to start going thru a process of elimination. As mentioned by EDALLSAILS above, there are some rare instances where batteries can cause weird issues like you're seeing. So, start it up then disconnect the Chassis/Starting batteries while it's running. Check voltage with your meter at the leads you've disconnected...

If it's still overcharging, hook the batteries back up. I'll assume this is a 3 wire alternator setup. While running pay attention to terminal #2 - this is the voltage sense wire. Remove that wire. Measure the voltage on that wire connected and disconnected. Measure the voltage on the post with the wire disconnected. Do the same with terminal #1 wire and post. What voltages are you seeing on each?

If memory serves me correctly your charging system is controlled by the engine PCM and there is no other "external" regulator.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #10

94-newmar, I've checked the 2 wire plug on the alternator. One wire has 14.3 v and the other has 16v. All connections at batteries read 16v.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

The bigger red wire has 14.3 and the smaller white one has 16v
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #12

The bigger red wire has 14.3v and the smaller white one has 16v
Old 10-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #13

Fixed it guys. Someone had the 2 alternator wires crossed. I switches em and now getting 13.8-14.3v at all connections. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #14

That's where I was headed with the troubleshooting tips above. Glad you got it fixed.