Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #1

Charging with 15 amp cord

When I connect 15 amp line to plug on rv , “using adapters “gfi on extension cord kicks every time, last time I tried without gfi , seem to work ok , any ideas or is this normal ?
( Was not using generator and did not have 30 amp shore power , just wanted power for heat at night . )
Pakinsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 05:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Many RVs have kinky wiring that will kick out a GFI. I have stopped using one for our rig when I plug it into a 15 amp outlet while in storage.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #3

Get a min. 14 ga extension cord w/o GFCI. Many coaches report having the GFCI tripped when plugging into a circuit with one. I've always suspected it had to do with a built in surge protector, if you have one, but no proof.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakinsteel View Post
When I connect 15 amp line to plug on rv , “using adapters “gfi on extension cord kicks every time, last time I tried without gfi , seem to work ok , any ideas or is this normal ?
( Was not using generator and did not have 30 amp shore power , just wanted power for heat at night . )
GFCIs work on the principle that the same amount of current should be on the line (hot) and neutral conductors. An imbalance of 5mA or more will trip them. Leakage is cumulative - 3 appliances or devices each leaking 2mA will not trip a GFCI unless are are plugged in (and possibly, in use) at the same time. But some devices and appliances can leak current simply by being plugged in...

Chances are one of, or the combination of your adapters is creating a current leak sufficient to trip the GFCI.

The other possibility is that something in your RV (or a combination of them) is creating a current leak sufficient to trip the GFCI..

Or the answer D) All the above.

If possible, try to borrow some other dogbone adapters and see if the GFCI tripping stops. If not, it will be time to start unplugging things in the coach to see what is leaking current.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #5

using 12ga extension cord, 50’
Old 01-23-2022, 07:31 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Start simple....try another cord first.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:10 AM   #7

If your batteries are low when you plug it in the charger will come on at full charge and immediately pop the gfi. Also if you use an inverter for house power...that causes transients on the line in and pops gfis. I have these same problems at my dad's house when I'm plugged into his 15a outlets.

-E
Old 01-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the input, I found this site to most helpful resolving most of my issues.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I found that it only trips the plug servicing the rv. If I use a non gfi plug all is good.

I think the issues is the breaker box in the rv is bonded and the breaker box at the service is bonded. Which makes it looks like the rv breaker box is a sub panel which should not be bonded. NEC only has the first breaker box bonded all down stream boxes are not bonded.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I found that it only trips the plug servicing the rv. If I use a non gfi plug all is good.

I think the issues is the breaker box in the rv is bonded and the breaker box at the service is bonded. Which makes it looks like the rv breaker box is a sub panel which should not be bonded. NEC only has the first breaker box bonded all down stream boxes are not bonded.
The panel in the RV should definitely not be bonded N-G.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #11

I was always concerned with tripping the breaker when on 15 amp service. To eliminate that concern, I installed a 45 amp smart charger which I would run with a 2KW Honda when boon docking. When visiting the BIL, I plugged into his house with a 75' extension cord. That way, I could use all appliances without tripping a breaker, as they were drawing from the battery bank through the invertor. The smart charger just kept feeding into the house batteries.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If your batteries are low when you plug it in the charger will come on at full charge and immediately pop the gfi.
The amount of power the charger is using has nothing to do with tripping a GFCI (see Solo RV Guy explanation). Battery charge state is irrelevant.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging