Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2021, 07:07 AM   #1

Chasing the Parasitic Drain

I turned off the "salesman" master switches for house and main at drivers door. Also turned off both inverters with disconnect switches. Removed the positive battery cables from the two chassis batteries so I could chase down my 150ma draw while in storage. I noticed I was able to go in and start the engine, without using the boost switch. I assumed I would have no power to key or engine with chassis batteries disconnected. Do I have a stuck relay (the boost switch on dash is in the off position).

I have the two isolator relays next to each other in the house battery compartment. Big Boy has 12V when measuring across the two large lugs with everything turned off.

What is the smaller "Cole Harsee" relay for?

2011 Fleetwood 40G on Freightliner XC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	321440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	321441  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Can't help with what the small relay is for but the big boy is open ( not energized ) if you are reading 12 vdc between the two large post . If it was closed ( energized ) you would read 0 vdc post to post due to being at the same potential ,( there could be a small voltage reading due to resistance in the contact ) , and 12 vcd from source side to ground and 12 vdc load side to ground .
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have sunlight and a solar panel it may be energizing the big boy.

As mentioned, measure the voltage on the small terminals. One should be ground/0 volts. If the other is 6-12 volts it is being energized and the solenoid may feel hot to the touch.

Measuring the two large posts with the chassis batteries turned off may not be a good indication of it being energized because you could have a sneak path and a digital meter could fool you.

However, being able to start the rv with the chassis batteries connected seems to indicated the solenoid is on.

I'm curious how you measured the 150 ma current. That solenoid draws more than that
however there are some systems that pulse the control line after activation which reduces the current draw and heating.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:35 AM   #4

The big relay looks like the boost relay and the small one looks like the house relay. The house relay is a stepper type that when it see power in one polarity it pushes the contacts one way and reverses when polarity changes. In both cases power is monetary.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #5

Parasitic draw can come from:

Connected inverter even when off
CO2, fire and propane detectors.
Panel and switch backlighting
TV antenna amplifier
Wireless Door security system
Camera systems even while off
Radio
HWH system
Baggage light left on
Open front door may turn on step lights
Corrosion between positive wire and ground
Automatic awning retractors
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #6

To check for the offender draining the chassis batt, I hooked up multimeter and set to 20A. Disconnected positive battery cable connection to both chassis batteries. Placed probe on batt positive terminal, and other on the disconnected cable. Had the wifey unplug each 12v fuse one at a time, that we could access in the master bedroom, under dash, and under coach. Still showing approx 150ma draw. I suspect the keyless entry but haven't found fuse for it yet. It operates even after salesman switches are off.

Appreciate everyone's help so far!
Old 03-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC182 View Post
To check for the offender draining the chassis batt, I hooked up multimeter and set to 20A. Disconnected positive battery cable connection to both chassis batteries. Placed probe on batt positive terminal, and other on the disconnected cable. Had the wifey unplug each 12v fuse one at a time, that we could access in the master bedroom, under dash, and under coach. Still showing approx 150ma draw. I suspect the keyless entry but haven't found fuse for it yet. It operates even after salesman switches are off.

Appreciate everyone's help so far!
They keyless entry system might be fused wherever its control box lives, as is ours. Ours happens to be inside the dashboard. There is no disconnect installed for it (though that might not be a bad idea). I have no idea what it draws, but it can't be much.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:28 AM   #8

An update to this...

I found that a PO had ran a lead from the chassis battery connector to the charging solenoid positive terminal, thus leaving the circuit open all the time. My assumptions are that has been draining down both battery sets from a parasitic drain on the house side.

I went ahead and replaced both 3yr old chassis batteries as one of the two dropped charge below 12 percent sitting overnight with the leads disconnected.

After a week of sitting with house/chassis switches off, both batt banks are 12.7V and she started right up. So now I need to find out if the RV Battery Control Center board is not sending the signal to open/close charging solenoid, when voltages are above 13.2 or below 12.6V. They have a great amount of info on troubleshooting this.

https://rvcustomproducts.com/f73-1044
Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC182 View Post
I turned off the "salesman" master switches for house and main at drivers door. Also turned off both inverters with disconnect switches. Removed the positive battery cables from the two chassis batteries so I could chase down my 150ma draw while in storage. I noticed I was able to go in and start the engine, without using the boost switch. I assumed I would have no power to key or engine with chassis batteries disconnected. Do I have a stuck relay (the boost switch on dash is in the off position).

I have the two isolator relays next to each other in the house battery compartment. Big Boy has 12V when measuring across the two large lugs with everything turned off.

What is the smaller "Cole Harsee" relay for?

2011 Fleetwood 40G on Freightliner XC

The Big boy gets signal from the bird. The bird is a computer board. It closes when the power/charge goes above a certain voltage. It will do it with the chassis batteries turned off. It is part of the power management keeping batteries charged while on shore power, driving, generator etc. where is the Cole hersee located? It’s likely a jumper to fire up other things in the coach.
KtownKajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

I've never heard of a main disconnect switch controlling both house and chassis batteries. My MH has a disconnect for house batteries only. It does not control a few items, as gpounder outlined.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote