Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Chassis battery

Does anyone have a picture of their 2004 Fleetwood expedition chassis battery compartment? Batteries stolen by someone who needed them more than I did ,purchased new ones but not sure which side is pos. And neg. Thank you for your help and time.
fleetwood ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe if you post a picture of your battery compartment, someone might have one the same.

Otherwise you could follow the cables and see which ones go to ground. They will be your negative ones.

You may even get a schematic off the web.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:43 AM   #3

Did the thief cut the lines? Just follow one cable back to where it attaches either to the chassis (ground) or to some other connection.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #4

Put one lead from an ohmmeter to ground and touch the other lead to each wire to find out which are ground (negative). The others are positive. After all are hooked up put black tape on ground wires and red tape on positive wires for future reference.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #5

Will try that thank you
Old 03-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm not understanding the problem. Battery cables are black for negative and red for positive, and the batteries are clearly marked + and -.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I guess I'm not understanding the problem. Battery cables are black for negative and red for positive, and the batteries are clearly marked + and -.
In a perfect world, yes, but I have seen very few color coded battery hook-ups on RVs of any make.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
In a perfect world, yes, but I have seen very few color coded battery hook-ups on RVs of any make.
WOW! Never would have thought that!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #9

FWIW... I have 2 chassis batteries in my 2002 expedition. Looking into the battery compartment, batteries go into the compartment with both + terminals on the Left side of the compartment. + cable comes from the left, has two connectors, connects both + terminals on batteries. It still has some RED on various connectors. Right cable also connects to both - terminals.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #10

Be careful if you try to read the cables to ground. If anything is turned on you could get a reading from the positive cable to the ground. The safest way is to trace the cables.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Be careful if you try to read the cables to ground. If anything is turned on you could get a reading from the positive cable to the ground. The safest way is to trace the cables.
X's 2. If one goes to the chassis to ground - you found the negative. If it goes to starter, you found your positive...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:16 PM   #12

Thank you for the help and ideas, pos. On left neg.on right it's all good. Again thanks for the help.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:44 AM   #13

Well this whole thing sucks! We've camped for many years without locking up. I would like to hope that this does not become the new normal as our society seems to deteriorate. In the last year or two I've read about a couple of cases where thieves cut off the power supply cords just to get the scrap copper value.

Anyway, I take my 2 chassis and 2 coach battery connections apart about twice a year for maintenance. I have pictures of the connections but even so I am careful to not lose track of the rat's next of cables and where they go.
Good Luck getting things sorted out.

Tags
battery, chassis