Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #1

Question Chassis Battery dead???

I picked up my 2016 Thor Hurricane 31s from storage for a camping trip. It was hard to start, but after a few attempts it started. However, it quit on me while driving three times on the way home. At home I measured 12.6 VDC. I then put it on charge overnight, and I measured 13.1 VDC in the morning. Went to get gas, packed up, and then it would not start. Every now and then I could get a crank, but it wouldn't start. Took the fairly new battery (dated 6/21) to NAPA.

They said it was good but needed charging. Was it discharged too much when stored? They gave me a brand new battery, and the RV cranked right up with no problems. Camping trip saved. However there was a check engine light.

I saw there was a 0.3 amp draw on the chassis battery with the RV turned off. Eventually I saw there was a P068A fault code, but it finally cleared. I disconnected the new battery when I put it back into storage.

Any suggestions? Is it normal to have a low draw eventually discharge the chassis battery and weaken it?
RVMan2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If you are storing it not plugged in, I would totally disconnect chassis and house battery. There are a lot of hidden components drawing current that will drain the battery over time. If the battery goes dead, you risk reversing a plate or buckling a plate that will make your battery do some very odd things.
GrantR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMan2021 View Post
Any suggestions? Is it normal to have a low draw eventually discharge the chassis battery and weaken it?
I have a slow draw also on my chassis battery. In about 3 weeks time it may not start, 4 weeks guarantees it won't. I usually use a 1.5 amp smart charger every other week to top it off. For extended storage times I pull the battery or break the ground connection.

I've never bothered to track it down but I suppose you could start pulling fuses and see if you can't find your drain. As far as it being normal, I suppose it isn't but how worried are you? The PO of my MH did alot of monkeying around trying to upgrade to his tastes. Some of its nice but I kinda wish he had left everything stock as I'm sure the problem lies with his upgrades.

On my wife's Renegade, a full battery would not last 2 weeks being left unattended. It has more electric sensors and options than I've ever seen on a vehicle before. The in laws have a Rav4 that is the same way. They were told to drive it at least weekly for awhile or they run the risk of a dead battery. I'm not surprised that just sitting your newer Thor would have a dead battery and with all those electrical add-ons you see today, even a low voltage battery can create problems (ask any Renegade owner).

You didn't say how long your Thor was parked before you tried to start it.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
12.6VDC is pretty close to a fully charged battery which is 12.8VDC. 13.1 VDC could have been a residual charge and will dissipate within a few minutes after removing the charger and the battery will settle to something in the high 12VDC range if it is fully charged. Charge volts usually start at 13.6-.8 volts DC and go up from there if you have a multi stage charger.

P068A fault code is related to Engine Control Module (ECM) power and if you had a hard to start situation that might have caused the fault.

0.3 amp draw on the chassis, even with everything off, is a little high but not unexpected. This could be multiple items the chassis might be powering such as the dash radio memory, the propane and CO detectors, ECM memory and such.

When I was parking my Hurricane in dry storage I was disconnecting the negative terminal of both the house and chassis batteries. Later I added two 100 watt solar panels and could leave the batteries connected and just use the Use/Store switches and let the solar controller keep the batteries (four house GC2 batteries and the single chassis) topped up.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I would fully charge the battery and then disconnect one lead while in storage!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone that provided advice. For what it is worth, the RV was parked for three weeks. Then I drove it about an hour, and had problems starting it then. Three days later, I ran the engine without driving it for an hour. Three days after that was when the problems occurred.

I disconnected the new chassis battery when I parked it this time.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:19 PM   #7

Solar Tender

I am trying Solar Tender, 10 watt output, MPPT technology, to see if it will maintain the chassis battery. Currently have the solar panel on the dash when the rig is locked, and it is plugged into the cigarette lighter which is connected to the chassis battery.

I will see if this location on the dash provides enough juice to the battery, or if I need to relocate the solar panel.

Did some testing today, chassis battery was 12.8 VDC when I got to the rig. Measured 14.5 VDC while running the engine.

The following readings were taken with the engine off.
Measured 0.65 amps when I initially disconnected the battery. This was due to the screen door open (which triggers the automatic step). When I close the screen door, amps dropped to 0.35 amps. Amps peaked around 8.2 amps when the step actuated.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #8

Make sure you are turning both the Main and Aux switches off during storage. I have an AiLi monitor and it shows a 1.2a discharge when the switches are on… and nothing else. That’s how much parasitic draw there is.

With switches off I have just a little draw which almost gets negated by the little solar panel on the AC. I still lose from the normal Lead Acid battery loss, but if I upgraded the solar panel to 15w I would probably be ok.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

I had the same problem with my coach , I found that the master switch that turns off and on your chassis battery was broken !It would make contact and then lose it and the coach would stall. I lost all power to the dash. Replaced the switch and everything is fine now
Nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis