Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #1

Chassis Battery Life

I have a 2015 Entegra Aspire; four years old now. It is stored indoors and connected to shore power while in storage......
Does keeping the “trickle” charge deplete the water in the batteries... chassis batteries?
I just recently replaced all 4 of the house batteries because of age (planning a long trip) and noticed the water levels were low.
The two chassis batteries are Harris batteries and according to Harris they require maintenance. However, the installation of these by Spartan makes it impossible to check of add water if depleted. Again, talking with Harris I was told it was OK for the life of the battery. What is that life?
Because they are on constant “trickle” charge is the life (without water maintenance) shortened?
Should I replace those two chassis batteries also? (One dealer gave me price of $280 just for the labor). I replaced the house batteries myself.
Ron MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
I have a 2015 Entegra Aspire; four years old now. It is stored indoors and connected to shore power while in storage......
Does keeping the “trickle” charge deplete the water in the batteries... chassis batteries?
ç
The two chassis batteries are Harris batteries and according to Harris they require maintenance. However, the installation of these by Spartan makes it impossible to check of add water if depleted. Again, talking with Harris I was told it was OK for the life of the battery. What is that life?
Because they are on constant “trickle” charge is the life (without water maintenance) shortened?
Should I replace those two chassis batteries also? (One dealer gave me price of $280 just for the labor). I replaced the house batteries myself.
There's two battery types in the lead acid family. Maintenance Free and Maintenance Required.

The former is that.... you can't get in there.

The second has lids that come off. Either two sets of three or 6 individual on a 12V, half that on a 6V. They MUST be watered with distilled water to the bottom of the cone you see in the hole.

Most of the water blows off when charging at high amperage. Trickle charging not so much.

So Harris says they are "Maintenance Required" but they're "Good for the life of the battery?" So which one is it?

If you can't get to them..... and they are in fact maintenance required, take them out and check.....

I check mine monthly, more frequently when camping. I've had my house batteries (4x6V) 2-1/2 years, I've probably put 3 or 4 GALLONS of water in there.

My chassis batteries are maintenance free. Engine use tends to cause less strain on the batteries in this respect.

If your house batteries were maintenance required and you didn't do it I'm surprised they lasted that long.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron MB View Post
I just recently replaced all 4 of the house batteries because of age (planning a long trip) and noticed the water levels were low.
Ron,

I feel your pain. As the chassis batteries sit they are impossible to service sitting in their tray. Change them out when you start to notice a degradation in their performance but they should be good for another year or two. Just changed mine out after 5 years and I did not open them up for servicing.

Don’t bother with a dealer. If you can change out the house batteries you can easily change out the chassis batteries. Sam’s Club or similar has the group 31 Duracell batteries for 110.00.

By the way your chassis batteries are not under a constant trickle charge. If you are plugged into shore power and your house batteries are at or above 13.3v AND your chassis batteries are below 12.6v then they will receive a charge for 1 hour and then shut off. This will continue for as long as you are plugged into shore power. While driving with the alternator as the charge source the reverse will happen with the house batteries getting a 1 hour charge if they drop to 12.6v.

With regards to your house batteries being low on water check your inverter settings. The charge rate is most likely set at 80% (default) which for the 4 flooded batteries is too high. Also check that Final Charge is set to Multi which will help control outgassing of your batteries.

Send me a PM if you would like a complete list of what your inverter settings should be for your house batteries.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
With regards to your house batteries being low on water check your inverter settings. The charge rate is most likely set at 80% (default) which for the 4 flooded batteries is too high.
Yes, I mentioned high charge rates will lead to greater water loss. But your statement
brought me back to the book and I found this:

Quote:
Info: If the Max Charge rate is set to 0%, the topology of the Magnum
Inverter - when connected to an AC source - will over-ride the 0%
setting and start charging if the battery voltage is <7 VDC (12 VDC
models), <14 VDC (24-volt models) or <28 VDC (48-volt models).
which seems inconsistent with the concept that it won't charge if battery voltage is below 9V......

Thoughts?
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Yes, I mentioned high charge rates will lead to greater water loss. But your statement
brought me back to the book and I found this:

which seems inconsistent with the concept that it won't charge if battery voltage is below 9V......

Thoughts?
Perhaps a typo on Magnum’s part. My manual says 11v and the newer versions of the manual say 12v.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My Harris chassis batteries lasted about 6 years, but they were maintenance-free type. Trickle charging should not cause any loss of water. However, if one of the batteries has a bad cell, that can cause the battery to heat up even at the trickle rate.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My OEM Interstate U-2200 house batteries in your '02 DSDP lasted 10 years and still were getting us through the night. The "new" Interstates were still doing great when we traded the rig off. Guess all the stars aligned.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #8

A trickle charger should not over charge your batteries.

I limped along with poor condition chassis batts for at least 4 years (inherited them from PO - badly discharged by the consignment dealer while sitting on the lot). I just used a $20 float charger when parked, and the alternator when driving to keep them semi-charged. To start the engine, I'd use the AUX switch. So they ended up giving me and the PO 7 years of use. So my point is that the chassis batts can still be used for years after some would call them bad. Mine hovered around 10.6 volts over the 3 years I limped along with them.

I use 3-in-1 oil in my batteries to extend life and reduce maintenance. If your flooded cell batteries are otherwise in good condition, adding 2 oz of 3-in-1 oil to each cell prevents excess water from escaping during charging or hot weather and reduces corrosion. Also reduces the amount of water needed over the life of the battery, your service effort, and the corrosion often seen on the terminals. I've gone 18 months or so without needing to add water. I just checked mine (added water and oil 15 months ago soon after purchase) and there's absolutely no corrosion on them at all.

This is a hack over 100 years old for flooded cell lead-acid batts, even Edison recommended it. It seems particularly well suited for situations where it's difficult to service the batteries.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I replaced my House Batteries after eight years, during that time I never had to add water until the last few months of their life, they were Interstate 6 volts and I had two in series. The chassis battery is the original the dealer installed when I picked up the coach in May 2009, they are still spinning the Cummins fine when I put her to bed last October. My coach is plugged in year around when home and I have a Magnum 2000 modified sine inverter and a B.I.R.D. relay to take care of the Chassis battery. When the chassis batteries go, I will probably replace them with the same Maintenance free battery type instead of the AGMs I installed for the house, I don't feel like adding a new voltage regulator to the alternator to protect the AGM battery.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The OP is asking about chassis batteries. Don't think your experiences with house batteries is going to be helpful to him.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The OP is asking about chassis batteries. Don't think your experiences with house batteries is going to be helpful to him.
House batteries were mentioned to show I have a mixed bank which is what I read he was asking about. The main point being is that not all sealed batteries are AGM,Jell or Lithium.

Tags
battery, chassis