Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 02:49 AM   #1

Chassis Battery not holding charge

As long as I am hooked to shore power, my engine will start and the batteries are at 13.7-14 volts. If I let it set for couple of hours unhooked from shore power, voltage drops to 12-12.7 volts and won't turn over. I am having batteries load tested in the next day or two. My question: Is there anything else I should check to make sure I am not overlooking a solenoid etc.? They are Napa Commercial grade batteries and I believe are originals but don't believe they could last that long (2002 Coach). The "02 tab" on battery showing all the years is missing so I assume it was original. If it is charging when hooked to shore power, can I assume the solenoid/transfer switch is working?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 03:02 AM   #2

How old is it?
Old 09-27-2020, 03:42 AM   #3

If they are indeed 2002 original batteries my guess is that they need replacing. Ten years is the most you can usually hope for. You are almost double that. You mention that your voltages are 12 to 12.7. A fully charged battery should be at 12.7V. A 12V battery is almost dead.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:07 AM   #4

I wouldn't be surprised if they are 18yrs old. I had same situation when I bought mine the commercial group 31 batts were over 12 yrs old. I even think they were also Napa brand.They would last couple days without plugged or driving. I have see these commercial type last a long time in heavy and farm equipment where automotive type were substituted only to die in just a couple years same applications with intermittent use.
PO had added 8D start batts a few years prior for house instead of deep . He only dry camped maybe overnight. I was able to moved those to start tray. Purchased four Sams GC2 for house.
I wouldn't get real excited about battery charger\combiner until you get batteries changed . Combining batts off the house charging once those go into slower charge rate isn't going to get chassis batts quite as charged as on stand alone charger.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
As long as I am hooked to shore power, my engine will start and the batteries are at 13.7-14 volts. If I let it set for couple of hours unhooked from shore power, voltage drops to 12-12.7 volts and won't turn over. I am having batteries load tested in the next day or two. My question: Is there anything else I should check to make sure I am not overlooking a solenoid etc.? They are Napa Commercial grade batteries and I believe are originals but don't believe they could last that long (2002 Coach). The "02 tab" on battery showing all the years is missing so I assume it was original. If it is charging when hooked to shore power, can I assume the solenoid/transfer switch is working?
Here's update...starter was bad and it effected the 18 yr old batteries...new batteries and starter

Tags
battery, chassis