Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #1

Chassis battery on or off?

I’ve always left both chassis and house batteries on. Read recently where someone suggested hitting the disconnect for the chassis battery until time to fire her up and move along.

Thoughts??
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
For how long? Will you be using a battery tender?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

While camped and "plugged in", batteries are ON. While stored, both batteries are off and only turned on once a month when plugged to charge.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
P38

Since I store outside and cover in winter my rooftop solar is useless. Purchased two 15 amp battery te
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
P38

[QUOTE=P38;4529588]Since I store outside and cover in winter so my rooftop solar is useless. Purchased two 15 amp solar battery tenders with extensions so the cords will reach from rooftop to battery compartment. Too lazy to take batteries out and put back each year. This is the first time the batteries have a
trickle charge in winter. Got the idea from another thread. Should help for longer battery life.
P38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #6

Chassis battery on or off?

You need to determine if your shore power also charges your chassis bats. My Camelot does not charge chassis bats on shore power. Only house bats. So a battery tender is important. Some RVs do include chassis. While parked at my home I’m plugged into a 50amp power pedestal. I have a battery tender on 24/7 hard wired into RV. I also have my block heater activated along with my system heat.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #7

Freightliner says chassis battery off when not using the rig for over a day.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #8

I leave everything on and plugged into 50amp service. Too many electronically controlled items that can loose their memory, additionally you do not have to reset the dash clock system. I was not aware Freightliner suggested to turn it off. With the power off the door lock system can only be used manually with a key as opposed to the key pad.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
I’ve always left both chassis and house batteries on. Read recently where someone suggested hitting the disconnect for the chassis battery until time to fire her up and move along.

Thoughts??
It depends on how your unit is wired and how you store it. Some units disconnect the battery from the charger when the battery switch is off and some do not. If you are storing it with power connected then do whatever you need to do to keep the battery charging.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #10

If you are plugged into shore power and the chassis batteries are being charged , you don't have to disconnect them. If the coach is going to sit for more than a week unplugged and with no generator running , then they should be disconnected.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:17 PM   #11

We are mostly plugged in to 50A shore power and move every few weeks or so. Don't really know if shore power is charging chassis battery but it always fires right up after even a 28 day stay so assuming they are being charged which might make my question irrelevant as it pertains to us. Certainly would disconnect if being stored for weeks or months on end, but as full timers that ain't about to happen. Hopefully!
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chassis Battery

Mine drains down after sometime even when switched off. So I disconnect neg on all batteries, check with amp meter occasionally, if gets below 12.6/12.7 put automatic charger on every couple weeks. Although we do live in the arctic I am beginning to believe. This when parked for a period of time 5 to 6 months. When traveling I leave the disconnects on and just start-up for 20-30 mins or go for a short drive. Seems to work when we winter somewhere warm it's usually 5-6 months also. I think thats the best option.
Jack
Old 12-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Even if you turn it off at the switch there are still things that still draw. If I understand right if switch is off the battery will not charge. Also I have came to understand the house batteries need to be at a certain level before any charge will go to chassis batt.

Tags
battery, chassis