Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1

Chassis Info and More

Bad title I guess because it's too vague and there are probably 1001 threads discussing what I'm looking for. I do use the search function and haven't found this bit of information compiled into a single (or 2 or 3) threads so that a noob could compare the wisdom of experienced owners. I just finished reading several opinionated posts on several threads about 8.1 vs V-10 and Workhorse vs Ford's F53.

Wifey and I are going tomorrow locally visiting a couple of the larger established motorhome dealerships to walk in the floorplans and look over the various offerings to expand our search for our first Class A gasser (pre-owned). I read every single word in a multi-paged thread about the 8.1 reliabilty issues (the poll thread about "Is your 8.1 in pieces", etc). I haven't found a similar thread about the V-10 but it probably exists somewhere within this iRV2 forum. My job is to discover that just-right-for-us chassis and powertrain...hers is more amenity-related and if I may say...happy wife, happy life (we've been married for over 40 years now and I have learned something along the way about how that adage applies in most decisions).

Questions I have are about the chassis at this point and I'll have to figure out the engine stuff after. Being an OTR Peterbilt guy for almost 40 years and having spec'ed and driven my own trucks, I am aware of the importance of spec'ing to meet the job. While the motorhome may not be as involved as in my commercial endeavors, I still want to make the right decisions about a used unit. Right meaning...good foundation chassis that's possibly over-built to handle the task with comfortable ride and braking. Squeaks in my big truck drive me crazy until I find them and stop them...and I always do. Not sure if it's possible in a rolling home but I'll be found dead or trying.

I have a notebook full of notes from this forum to start my search with...I've done a lot of homework. A mountain of bookmarks to service issues and trouble-shooting, etc and several recommended books on the subject of finding my RV.

Having said all that...is there a gathering of information comparing the WorkHorse models to the F53 chassis and the year/s that each were made available or were superseded? That would narrow the search a great deal I think. What years were the W-22 available and when did WH begin with the W-24? How long has the F53 been utilized and is it still? Can anyone offer a link to this kind of info either here or externally from unbiased experience (Consumer Reports, etc?). I'm probably looking at anywhere from a 2003 to 2005 to start with but I am not against looking at a well-maintained, well-kept 2000 model either.

Ride, braking, CCC, & solid stand-up chassis service is most important to me at this point in my overly cautious search. Having been the captain of many Class 8 rigs over the years, I have come to expect that if spec'ed correctly and maintained properly, one can go down the road with 80,000 lbs with an almost car-like grip on the wheel without having to worry about ducking and dodging and fighting every rut and bump in the highway. Air ride seats sitting in air ride cabs riding on air ride suspensions are not to be compared in a class 6 chassis I guess but you get my drift...there must be a properly built, stand-up chassis that has satisfied the full-timers and part-timers alike. And to note...I am not at all biased when it comes to man-made mechanical items. The Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing has no effect on me...they all eventually break. The old adage "If it's got ____'_ or wheels, it's gonna give you trouble". In each case, whether ___'_ or wheels, over my many years on this rock, the trouble has been met and a solution to the problem has been discovered...so far. A quality reputation will obviously influence my decision but after reading many threads, there doesn't seem to be a great consensus with a single (or 2) manufacturer taking the high spot. Well...maybe Prevost...but I'm not at that point yet unless I bought that wrecked one on eBay listed now with a million dollars of damage. I can fix stuff, but I can't fix that one.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Well I can't add anything to what you have already stated. It appears to me you are on the right path to finding the MH that fits your needs. As you stated early you have read and noted all opinions on different engines, chassis,maintenance, etc. You have more knowledge then most on this forum. I have no preference on any certain chassis, engine, model, or the like. I drive what I like. Just make sure that you know the maintenance history, condition of those items that you have experience, and if you are not sure have a mechanic check it out. Good Luck in your search.

Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #3

Well, for starters, here's a link to some data on the current Ford f53 chassis:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...3%20F59_SB.pdf

Sorry can't help on the Workhorse (discontinued) chassis, but here's a link to a purported new gas engine chassis to be available sometime in the early spring...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f57/new-g...-a-144509.html

All I can say is good luck...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis