Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #15

My greasing procedure & tools

After reading a different post by a fella that worked as a professional heavy truck mechanic, he mentioned to lift the axle some to unload the KingPin (KP) and suspension components before greasing and after clarifing a few things in that post, I realized I have been doing this all wrong and I'm a pretty good mechanic and Millwright by trade and was unaware of this procedure for the KP. But after receiving the advice and reading the procedure manual, it made total sense to me. So I leaped into action and took care of business.

I used my 4 ton bottle jack and lifted one side of the axle at a time. I lifted the axle to where I could see the tire lift—just a little bit—where the load was off.
NOTE: The tire was NOT off the ground. I did not use the leveling jacks to do this because of the safety factor.

On my MH, F53 chassis, there are 9 grease points including the hidden one on top of PS unit. I started with the passenger side. I first greased the top fitting of the (KP) then the bottom, then the other fittings. I then released and removed the jack and greased the bottom KP fitting again with a couple, three shots of grease. So I got that baby unloaded and loaded. Then I moved to the drivers side and replicated this process. When I got to the all the steering fittings, I shot grease in with the tires straight, cranked to the right shot in some more, then cranked to the left shot in some more. Had to go into the MH each time and start it up and crank the steering wheel. I used nearly 2 tubes of grease. I used more than I would normally, to insure that all the old grease was pushed out and only new grease remained. I am totally confident now that my front end is well greased, with all new grease and done properly.

Couple of points here:
• The pneumatic grease gun I bought several months ago was one of the best tool purchases I think I have ever made. And I have a ton of tools. Trying to do this with a conventional hand pump grease gun...FORGET IT.
Grease Gun - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Grease - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
• Attaching the Ford grease point diagram and the full manual that the other OP had pulled a page out of and attached to his post. This manual verifies about the proper procedure for "lifting to unload position"
• Attaching pic's of the equipment I used today for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grease-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	153612   Click image for larger version

Name:	grease-2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	153613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	grease-3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	153614  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
marjoa,

Nice post!!!! I'll have to agree with your report on that Lincoln grease gun. That is one sweet tool. I too have used many different hand guns and most all were junk compared to the Lincoln. Love the way the tip clamps onto the zerk when grease is shot into the area. That makes it a lot easier doing the work especially since i can't get the RV up on a lift.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
do you know which national store chains are selling it?
Cenex ML 365 meets these requirements and is readily available at Cenex outlets in many parts of the country.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis