Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Chassis service center start button

I have a 99' Safari Continental Panther, in the service center bay, next to the big black start button are two switches, on is a 2 way which is for shutting off the engine, the second is a 3 way switch and i have no clue what it is for, the plate is gone. For some reason i can not start turn the engine over with the key and im afraid my son played with a switch he shouldnt have.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

The 3 way is back, off, front start positions. Push it all the way to the other position.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #3

Agree ^

From my experience with buses, the rear run panel I believe is what Sandy12 describes. Since I'm assuming you have a side radiator, there should be a start-button, a possible momentary switch for engine stop, and a three-way run switch with top position = front start (normal mode), middle position = off, and bottom position = rear-run for the rear start push button

The older transit buses I drove would routinely have to be started from the rear as front-start would often not get enough juice. So we'd have to go back to the engine compartment, set the switch to "rear run" and push the button there to start.

It was a three-way toggle switch in those days and the challenge was to be able to flip the switch back to front-run without killing the engine. If doing it fast enough, you could flip the switch to front-run without shutting off the engine so that you wouldn't have to walk back to the engine compartment again when wanting to shut the engine off.

Bus drivers would sometimes run into a similar dilemma as you are experiencing in that they'd jump into the driver's seat and attempt to start the engine and nothing would happen. We knew the first thing to check was to go back to the engine compartment and check to see if the switch was somehow left on rear-run.

So yes, if you put the 3-way switch on the top position for front-start, you should have engine start available again from the driver's seat.

You might want to label your switch like this:
Attached Images

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #4

Mine is a toggle that goes side to side, so I'll try that. Gonna have to pull out the label maker and make new labels thanks guys. Try it in the morning.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #5

I moved that switch to all 3 positions but still wont turn over from the key. Cant find anyone with Cat Software to even come here and check this out so i can get it to run again.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:04 AM   #6

Can you start it from the rear?

Software probably won't be a lot of help for something like that. Gone through the basics, in neutral, park brake on, batteries on, chassis voltage good except for ignition?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Can you start it from the rear?

Software probably won't be a lot of help for something like that. Gone through the basics, in neutral, park brake on, batteries on, chassis voltage good except for ignition?
I can not start it at all, i have had a no start issue going on for over a month now. Because of where i live, i can not get anyone with cat Software to come give me a diagnostic test. And I sure as heck cant afford to tow it to the nearest service center.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #8

Dont get mad,

Is your chassis battery disconnect in the off position? turn it on

Are your batteries fully charged? Charge em up

Is transmission in neutral ? Park set? ...not sure what your coach requires

Wishing good things,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvrvin View Post
Dont get mad,

Is your chassis battery disconnect in the off position? turn it on

Are your batteries fully charged? Charge em up

Is transmission in neutral ? Park set? ...not sure what your coach requires

Wishing good things,
greg
It turns over, just refuses to start. I got good flue pressure, im gonna pull the ECM and take it in the Peterson and get it scanned, at least they can see fi there are any codes and if the ECM is still good
Old 05-10-2021, 12:09 AM   #10

A buddy who used to live in the Roseburg area swore by MDS in Sutherlin. They are great with motorhomes. Maybe you can call and see if they can diagnose the problem over the phone and give you some things to check in order to start the engine.

If not, they do mobile service but I'm thinking that they'd charge quite a bit for travel as it's probably more than 150 miles away from you.

It appears they just moved into a new shop.

MDS - Mobile Diesel Service --Sutherlin Oregon -----> website HERE

(541) 459-8939
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #11

How did you check fuel pressure? If you have compression and fuel a diesel should start.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
How did you check fuel pressure? If you have compression and fuel a diesel should start.
I put a fuel pressure tester on the Compucheck fitting on the fuel flow adapter housing. I am wondering if maybe I ran the thing out of fuel when i was stupid and fallowed Cats guidelines on changing filters. I fear my injectors are air locked. Or i suddenly gotten a bad check valve.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:43 AM   #13

What pressure did it show?
Old 06-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #14

OK, so i got my MH started again, took a rebuilt ECM from Go ECM, however still cant not start the engine from the ignition key, i can shut the engine off from the key, but not start it, i have checked the switch, and all is good. I messed with that 3 way and still no good. I know my son messed with the leveling system up front, but all the jacks are up, is it possible the switch is bad and is keeping the engine from starting from the ignition switch? Starts juts fine from the rear button.

Tags
chassis, service