Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chassis starting battery as a DC source

I have a Winnebago Forza 36G. I am installing a powered cord reel which needs according to the installation manual a fused 20A 12V DC source to operate. The bay I am placing the reel in has no 12 volt source in it but is located next to the bay that houses my coach engine starting batteries. My question is it OK to use these batteries (2 of them connected in parallel) to power the reel, or should I use the house batteries, which are located on the opposite side of the coach. Just want to know if there are any reason not to use the starting batteries.
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

It is usually a good idea to keep leave the chassis batteries alone. They have one very important job to do. In the event of a weak battery they may need that last bit of power to get you going.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #3

I wouldn't hesitate for a second using the chassis batteries for something like that.

Many MHs use chassis power for slides, levelers and some even start the generator from them.

Be sure to fuse the reel in case to gets stuck on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Twinboat - Be careful in your advice. You are absolutely correct in saying that manufacturers use the engine batteries to power slides and levelers - which draw significant power - including Winnebago coaches which I own. You missed a key part and that they advise you to have the engine running when using most things powered by chassis batteries so as long as you heed that advice, you will not have issues. Much better to use the deep cycle house batteries as they are much more resilient to large loads.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Twinboat - Be careful in your advice. You are absolutely correct in saying that manufacturers use the engine batteries to power slides and levelers - which draw significant power - including Winnebago coaches which I own. You missed a key part and that is the engine must be running when using most things powered by chassis batteries so as long as you heed that advice, you will not have issues. Much better to use the deep cycle house batteries as they are much more resilient to large loads.
I stand by my statement.

The limited amp draw, using a cord real, will not effect starting the engine with a set of good batteries.

If the batteries are that bad, then use the boost start switch to get by until they are replaced.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #6

I don't think 15 seconds of cord reel is much AH .No parasitic draw to mention. Most of the time I don't even have half my cord out anyway
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #7

It will not hurt anything to use the starting batteries to power your reel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuarez53 View Post
I have a Winnebago Forza 36G. I am installing a powered cord reel which needs according to the installation manual a fused 20A 12V DC source to operate. The bay I am placing the reel in has no 12 volt source in it but is located next to the bay that houses my coach engine starting batteries. My question is it OK to use these batteries (2 of them connected in parallel) to power the reel, or should I use the house batteries, which are located on the opposite side of the coach. Just want to know if there are any reason not to use the starting batteries.
jkpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #8

Just do the installation properly and you should not have any problems.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Twinboat - Be careful in your advice. You are absolutely correct in saying that manufacturers use the engine batteries to power slides and levelers - which draw significant power - including Winnebago coaches which I own. You missed a key part and that they advise you to have the engine running when using most things powered by chassis batteries so as long as you heed that advice, you will not have issues. Much better to use the deep cycle house batteries as they are much more resilient to large loads.
ACTUALLY, the "deep cycle" house batteries are "much more resilient" to providing SMALL loads over a long period of time. The load from the cord reel won't be for very long, but can be rather large (exactly what cranking batteries are designed to provide). Therefore, I vote for the OP to use the chassis batteries which happen to also require a shorter run of the cables. Even if the chassis batteries get drawn down by the reel, he should have a "boost switch" which will connect them all together to start the motor, if needed.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

If the chassis batteries can handle a 120 amp, diesel engine pre-heat, it will handle 30 seconds of under a 20 amp draw, rolling up a shore cord.

Tags
battery, chassis