Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Check Engine Light Stays On

I am asking for a friend (79 yr. old woman) who has a 1997 gas engine 32 ft. Holiday Rambler with a 460 V8. Her check engine light stays on...she has taken it to several mechanics who have checked the engine and say it is fine.....but they have no idea where to find the connection to turn off the light. If anyone can help she would greatly appreciate it!
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Polo,
Has she taken it to a truck repair shop? The connector is different on chassis over 8K lbs. Under 8K lbs the connector is called OBD II. The devices to read the code and turn off the light are relatively cheap.

However, the connector is different on a truck chassis. The devices to read the codes and turn off the light are much more expensive for trucks. Before she takes it to a truck garage, call and make sure they can read the codes and turn off the light.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

She has taken it to Ford service since it is a Ford engine, and they did not have a clue...she also took it to a motor home repair shop.....neither a clue. Plus a call was made to where ever they make HR nowadays. We are worried since she is elderly....and a good friend.
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Polo,
Has she taken it to a truck repair shop? The connector is different on chassis over 8K lbs. Under 8K lbs the connector is called OBD II. The devices to read the code and turn off the light are relatively cheap.

However, the connector is different on a truck chassis. The devices to read the codes and turn off the light are much more expensive for trucks. Before she takes it to a truck garage, call and make sure they can read the codes and turn off the light.
I am confused by this statement. I have a 1999 Pace Arrow 20,000 lbs. I bought a OBDll code reader online from Wall Mart. It reads the codes and erases them also. I had a speed sensor fail on the rear axel and it told me the code. I went to my garage and they told me to change the speed sensor and where it was.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 37U Adventurer has the ODBII plug mounted on the right side of the steering column about a foot below the steering wheel. I have a ScanGage II installed. Sometimes hard to see because of all the other wire bundles, but it is there. (on mine at least)
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #6

Several years ago, I had a similar problem with the Check Engine light. There were no codes stored. Finally a mechanic told me he thought I might have some water in my gas tank which would cause the light to come on but without a code. I placed some dry gas in my tank and the light went out with no recurring reads.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am confused by this statement. I have a 1999 Pace Arrow 20,000 lbs. I bought a OBDll code reader online from Wall Mart. It reads the codes and erases them also. I had a speed sensor fail on the rear axel and it told me the code. I went to my garage and they told me to change the speed sensor and where it was.
Don't be confused by this....after 1997 the F53 used the OBDII system; 1997 and prior did not.
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote