Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #1

Check Gauges

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Terra LX and have had multiple electric issues. It’s been updated for technical. Blown fuses for water pump and now bedroom ceiling lights.

Noticing dimmed lights, I figured coach batteries were low so I started up the coach to charge house batteries for 30 minutes. When I went to shut it off CHECK GAUGES was lit up.

Batteries are Deka house 2018, 2020 and engine battery is 2020. I have no clue what this means nor where?

Help!
oblatejm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 08:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblatejm1 View Post
I have a 2007 Fleetwood Terra LX and have had multiple electric issues. It’s been updated for technical. Blown fuses for water pump and now bedroom ceiling lights.

Noticing dimmed lights, I figured coach batteries were low so I started up the coach to charge house batteries for 30 minutes. When I went to shut it off CHECK GAUGES was lit up.

Batteries are Deka house 2018, 2020 and engine battery is 2020. I have no clue what this means nor where?

Help!

WorkHorse W22 chassis coach here - “Check Gages” light is a chassis related warning, not coach.
Ours came on when the engine wiring bundle fell into the AC compressor pulley and after naming through the insulation of the 6AWG wire between the alternator and the battery, began arcing out to the compressor pulley. Eventually took out the ECM/TCM battery fuse and killing the coach.

I did have a very knowledgeable WorkHorse person here on the board who said he didn’t realize there was a “Check Gages” light on this chassis.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblatejm1 View Post

Help!
Starting the chassis motor to charge the HOUSE batteries via the alternator isn't a very efficient method. You don't need to run a V-8 motor when your generator (via the converter) is the primary source of power to the house batteries. Running the chassis motor for 30 minutes without driving the coach isn't a good idea, either.
I don't KNOW about yours, but many coaches don't even have the house batteries "connected" to the alternator, and those that do, generally charge the house batteries only AFTER the chassis (cranking) battery has become fully charged.

Genrally speaking, house electrical issues and chassis electrical issues are not usually related. There are separate fuse panels and lots to learn about these house/truck combinations. Good luck with your!
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:27 PM   #4

�� To what Ed gray said! �� (Ed’s an awesome resource - pay attention to his comments).

Bottom line to the OP - you likely have a chassis electrical/engine issue with the “Check Gauges” light, while your described other electrical issues are more related to your coach or house electrical system.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #5

Update

Thank you EDGREY, MRMARK52, and WORKHORSE for your replies! Turns out after breaking down camp the water gauge shot up to HIGH, engine, and check gauge was on and it was a slowwwww go to get to shop! Hazard lights were on and I coasted as much as possible knowing this had to do with the engine. Thermostat on HIGH? Not good! Cooling system radiator etc. and I certainly didn’t want to have to invest in an engine!

Lower old water hose was culprit dripping antifreeze when I arrived. $150.00 an hr labor + parts. Welll yeah another k invested.

I have surmised that this coach was NEVER taken care of by either owner or maybe it was and I’m off base. Nonetheless, not even 2 months of ownership and I’m in about 6k. Did I get ‘took’?

Btw. After they finished the work my radio stays on (clock/light) all the time. I’m thinking this is not good and it wasn’t like this before.

Thanks to EdGrey my next shirt will be “well that didn’t work. Won’t try that again!”😂

Truly y’all thanks a heap for your wisdom and generosity for your replies.

Oblatejm1
Old 10-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Starting the chassis motor to charge the HOUSE batteries via the alternator isn't a very efficient method. You don't need to run a V-8 motor when your generator (via the converter) is the primary source of power to the house batteries. Running the chassis motor for 30 minutes without driving the coach isn't a good idea, either.
I don't KNOW about yours, but many coaches don't even have the house batteries "connected" to the alternator, and those that do, generally charge the house batteries only AFTER the chassis (cranking) battery has become fully charged.

Genrally speaking, house electrical issues and chassis electrical issues are not usually related. There are separate fuse panels and lots to learn about these house/truck combinations. Good luck with your!
Thanks a HEAP EdGray! Turns out a lower radiator hose blew. She was dripping antifreeze by the time I got her to the shop. I was just praying that I wouldn’t blow the engine. Hazard lights were on and I took it as slow as I could, even coasting. Thank goodness I was only a mile or 2 away. Again, 900.00 but she is healthy!

The radio light was nothing more than a button to off in the coach.

Sorry about late reply. I had internet issues again����*♀️ Am pretty sure my next t-shirt will be “well ****, that didn’t work. Won’t try that again!”

Thanks again for your invaluable wisdom. May God reward you abundantly!

All the best and happy, safe trails,
Oblatejm1
Old 10-15-2021, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
WorkHorse W22 chassis coach here - “Check Gages” light is a chassis related warning, not coach.
Ours came on when the engine wiring bundle fell into the AC compressor pulley and after naming through the insulation of the 6AWG wire between the alternator and the battery, began arcing out to the compressor pulley. Eventually took out the ECM/TCM battery fuse and killing the coach.

I did have a very knowledgeable WorkHorse person here on the board who said he didn’t realize there was a “Check Gages” light on this chassis.
Turns out it was a blown lower radiator hose. 900.00 later and healthy again. I don’t mind learning but I have a problem with my ignorance if it costs me $$$. Just hoping my common sense can get me through enough.

Thanks again,
Safe travels and God Bless,
Oblatejm1
Old 10-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post

Thanks MrMark52!

Oblatejm1
Old 10-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

Word of opinionated caution for anyone with a WorkHorse chassis - replace any and all hoses related to engine coolant which typically means upper and lower radiator hoses, 3 or 4 hoses that feed coolant to the heater core, and last but not least - there may be a stubby hose between the water pump and the intake manifold (there is on a 454/7.4l).

By now most all WorkHorse chassis are have reached that age where hoses will begin to dry rot and fail - as will any of the serpentine engine belt(s).

Good insurance against engine failure due to coolant loss.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

Check Gauges

Ahhh. GREAT ADVICE! Thanks again MrMark52!

Safe Travels,
Oblatejm1

Tags
gauges