Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

Check your Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer

My MH is on a 2016 Ford F53 chassis and I had a Roadmaster RSSA steering stabilizer installed shortly after purchasing the rig in Oct 2016. I have put about 5K miles on the coach with it installed without any problems.

When leaving our camping site on Wednesday, I backed out in order to connect the toad and heard a loud bang. I looked under the coach but did not see anything wrong. After connecting the toad, we were leaving the rv park and had a hard pull to the left and no ability to turn to the right. I crawled under the coach and disconnected the bracket for the steering stabilizer from the tie rod. I thought that the bracket had somehow slipped on the tie rod due to too much pressure while backing and turning hard left out of the space.

We made it home without incident and I called Roadmaster technical support the next morning to see if they had heard of any reports like this. The young lady told me it is possible, but a one in a billion chance.

Today when trying to reconnect it, I noticed that the spring had come out of its base. The spring is supposed to be threaded into the silver collar and the collar could spin freely on its shaft.
Click image for larger version

Name:	collar_loose.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	205219

I called Roadmaster technical support again and explained the situation the a young man. He told me the the spring could be threaded back on the collar, but the collar should be fixed to the shaft. He told me there is a set screw hidden under a label that fastens it to the shaft. The set screw (5/32" hex head) apparently had not been tightened at the factory as I got 2 complete turns on it before any contact. The pressure of the spring moving in/out over time must have caused it to 'unthread' itself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tighten_allen_screw.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	205220

I reconnected and tightened everything and will give it another test when we leave for the next trip on Monday. If this had happened when coming out of a gas station or something instead of in the rv park, it could have been a lot more fun without the ability to turn right past center.

AL
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old 06-02-2018, 01:52 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ll be checking mine thanx for the heads up.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:29 AM   #4

Just had the same issue with my RSSA stabilizer. Had been installed for several thousand miles. Spring became disconnected just like yours. Happened when making a hard (all the way) right turn a slow speed. Unable to steer the coach.
I removed the RSSA at the campground in Elkhart, IN. Drove home to Greensboro, NC without it.

When I first installed the RSSA it seemed like the steering had been restricted from full travel. Contacted Roadmaster and was told that was not possible.

I plan to measure the travel of the steering from lock to lock before reinstalling the RSSA, then measure it after install. I suspect that the spring is slipping off the retainer because it is being pulled off when making tight turns.

I'll check the set screw also. I'll post what I find.

Thanks for posting your issue.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 AM   #5

Something similar happened to me on a coach I traded in last month.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The set screw was loose on mine too..but...
It should be loose until near the last thing to do is turn the aluminum sleeve so the spring is coiled is tighten but...
It's not in the instructions.
Or if it is 1/4 unscrewed like mine came, so the spring can twist when turning. And the alum collar should be locked with the set screws.
I could only find one...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The set screw was loose on mine too..but...
It should be loose until near the last thing to do is turn the aluminum sleeve so the spring is coiled is tighten but...
It's not in the instructions.
Or if it is 1/4 unscrewed like mine came, so the spring can twist when turning. And the alum collar should be locked with the set screws.
I could only find one...
My take is that the spring should be completely tight in the collar and the set screw should be tightened from the factory. Like you said, there is nothing in the instructions about the set screw and it is purposely hidden under a sticker. So how would anyone even know to look for it?

AL
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Just had the same issue with my RSSA stabilizer. Had been installed for several thousand miles. Spring became disconnected just like yours. Happened when making a hard (all the way) right turn a slow speed. Unable to steer the coach.
I removed the RSSA at the campground in Elkhart, IN. Drove home to Greensboro, NC without it.

When I first installed the RSSA it seemed like the steering had been restricted from full travel. Contacted Roadmaster and was told that was not possible.

I plan to measure the travel of the steering from lock to lock before reinstalling the RSSA, then measure it after install. I suspect that the spring is slipping off the retainer because it is being pulled off when making tight turns.

I'll check the set screw also. I'll post what I find.

Thanks for posting your issue.

Just finished re installing the RSSA. After investigating, I think my problem was the same as BigHomey's. The set screw was very loose, doubt that was making contact at all.

Checked for turning restriction and found none. Turned the steering wheel lock to lock, marked the points and counted the revolutions. Was exactly the same before and after the install. It was , of course, a little harder to turn the wheel after install.

Thanks again for the post BigHomey. Never would have found that set screw on my own.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

I just got back last night from a 650 mile round trip to KY. The steering stabilizer works much better now that it is secured properly.

AL
Old 06-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
I just got back last night from a 650 mile round trip to KY. The steering stabilizer works much better now that it is secured properly.

AL

Good deal!

My confidence in the RSSA is still a little shaky. Will take a lot of trouble free miles to restore it.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #11

update

I came home at noon and crawled underneath the mh. The roadmaster spring is still intact but the bracket has shifted left on the tie rod about 6 inches. Im going to remove it and see if that solves my problem. Thanks to everyone.
ScottnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Might be a good idea to use blue Loc-Tite on the set screw to keep it from happening again.
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

This topic has come up in the past but it does seem that Roadmaster is letting a good many out the door with a loose set screw these days. It's a good thing that it's coming up again and hopefully the word will get out to more folks. It's one of those things I recheck anytime on on my back under the front end.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

I looked at the latest installation instructions for the RSSA (dated 07/18) and Roadmaster has added this note to the beginning of the procedures:
Note: Before installing the shock component
of this system, please ensure that the spring is
fully-seated in its track on the collar of the unit. If
it is installed without the spring fully-seated in its
track, the unit could malfunction or otherwise fail
to operate properly (Fig.1).
I still think they should make a note about the set screw on the collar since they hide it with a label.

AL

Tags
roadmaster, steering