Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: When something goes wrong, how do you fix it
Open checkbook 18 22.50%
Open toolbox 70 87.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Checkbook or toolbox

When something goes wrong with your MH, do you open your checkbook or your toolbox?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I can handle it - toolbox - just had new shocks and inner wet bearing seal replaced(checkbook) because I couldn't get shocks off myself and I was not even going to try the 22.5" tire!

Jim
Old 05-01-2015, 05:19 AM   #3

Tool box.

Retired heavy equipment mechanic.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 AM   #4

Tool box, if it's something I can do.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #5

I have found after many years of trying things that I end up doing both. Sometimes I can fix it, sometimes I know ahead of time I can't, other times I find out after I try to fix it I just made it worse thus end up writing an even bigger check.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Checkbook or toolbox

Depends. Fix it myself if physically doable, within my abilities to figure it out, etc. Sometimes my son helps out as he has good skills. Else, I hire it done. Which may be a skilled mechanic/tech if needed or a hybrid of myself and a day laborer (for high / heavy jobs I am no longer physically able to do, but can direct a helper and git'er done).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #7

Toolbox. Unless it means taking apart the engine or transmission. Most other things, given time and internet access, I can usually fix.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I have found after many years of trying things that I end up doing both. Sometimes I can fix it, sometimes I know ahead of time I can't, other times I find out after I try to fix it I just made it worse thus end up writing an even bigger check.

Been there where I started the job but had to call in someone else to finish, and yes sometimes can cost more. However, on balance, I have come out way ahead by trying to fix it myself first.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:37 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
If I could afford it, all would be done with a checkbook. But then again, I do NOT like leaving my coach anywhere but at home. So I guess that together with cost, I try my best to do it if I can.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #10

Should have a third checkoff of depends on the problem. I do a lot of the work but sometimes it pays to let somebody else with the right big tools. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Minor stuff I do. The other stuff I whip out the check book.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #12

I've always been a DIY type of guy. Worked in a gas station in high school and in a garage in college. Degrees ME.

I enjoy working on my cars and have restored several in my garage.

If it's a fast easy fix I do it myself, but I'm finding I tend to pull out the checkbook more and more.

Besides, my socket set only goes up to 1 1/4".
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fix most everything myself. Have gotten much better over the years and don't ruin as many items as I used to. Which then I have to pay someone to fix. Even when I don't feel competent to do the fix or upgrade after I pay someone to do it I realize it was not as difficult as I thought and since he/they didn't do it to my standards I usually end up redoing their work.

Most everybody can assess their skill level and won't attempt things that they know they can't fix. My only caution with that is sometimes you may THINK you can't do the job but after a little studying, asking a few questions from someone on these and other forums the jobs are relly not that difficult.

Example. We wanted a front MCD shade for the MH. Got the shade, got the instructions but at the last minute I chickened out. So I took it to the dealer. It cost me $600 for the install. The tech messed it up so I took a long look at it and decided that I could fix it. I did and then after getting to the fix I realized that it was not as difficult or impossible as I thought.

What did he mess up???

This was by far the biggest error. The top of the shade was not as far forward as necessary. The result is the shade leaned back which caused the corners to wrinkle after a few months of use. Had it not gotten fixed the wrinkles would have become permanent creases/folds pressed into the blind. Eventually the creases may have weakened the material and come apart.

You have to make holes in the dash for switches. The switches came loose because the holes were sloppy. I had to JB-Weld them into place.

The holes made in the plastic side covers for the shades were at least an inch bigger than necessary and each side had different sized holes cut out. Fortunately the valance that the DW made covers most of that stuff.

The wires for the power and switches were just laid in place and not routed and tied as I would do (I got into that habit as a radar repairman in the AF).

The shade install did work but it was sloppy. I did talk to the tech and very politely mentioned some of the above items. We parted still friends. I did it to help him in his next MCD shade install.

He's a good guy and a decent technician. About 4 months later he was proud to tell me that he got is master RIVA certification. Every once in awhile I stop in just to chat with him.

TeJay
Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

Tool box ,Retired heavy equipment mechanic.