RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 03:48 AM   #57

No, we never found a solution to the NAPA batteries. The batteries are 3 year batteries and we will be at 3 years soon. We are going to buy a Pro-Fill system and when it is time to get new batteries make sure the system will fit the batteries. I will carry these with me in the MH so I have the system ready to go.

We are currently traveling from our winter site. DW for 4 months has been telling me to check the batteries and I kept putting it off. When I finally checked the plates were showing. I had to disconnect the cables, pull all 4 out and fill them up. Why don't I just listen to DW??????

We need to decide what to go with: AGM, Trojans or Sams Club Golf cart batteries, also switching to 6 volt and will need to get some cables made.

I just wish some things would be standardized(like battery fill caps).

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #58

Checking/Filling Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We need to decide what to go with: AGM, Trojans or Sams Club Golf cart batteries, also switching to 6 volt and will need to get some cables made.

I just bought the Sam's 12v Group 24 AGM Duracell for $119 to use on the boat. Seemed like a good price. What I could not get an answer to is why the automotive version of the same battery is considerably more expensive than the marine, even though the stickers show the same specs. Has anyone tried these?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #59

Pro-fill with 4 x 12V batteries

I'm leaning towards going with the pro-fill, as like others have said getting to the rear most batteries is a pain even with the slide out tray. I also already killed one set of batteries due to lack of maintenance
Looking at the kits I only see them for two batteries and they reference 6V batteries.
I have 4 x 12V batteries, so my questions are:
1. Will pro-fill work with my batteries?
2. Do I just install 2 kits, or can I link the 2 kits together so I only have one fill valve?

The batteries I have are Duracell Ultra SLI24MDC, BCI Group 24M

Thanks
Dave
usdave1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 AM   #60

In my experience in trying Pro-fill and another brand(don't remember name) there is no guarantee that the Pro-fill will fit your battery. All you can do is buy a set and try it. You might want to call the company and see if they will send you a sample to try.

I think there is a better chance to use the Pro-fill with 6v batteries which is what we will be switching to when the time comes.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #61

Sue 46 - thanks for the reply. Interestingly I found on the flow-rite website it says the Quik-fill works with all Group size 24 and 27 12V marine batteries, mine are group size 24 so should work. Going to give that a try
Thanks
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
checking/filling batteries

USDave1t.

USDave....the Flow-Rite system is a great battery watering system. I used them in my last motorhome and they always worked great. However if you read the fine print on any of their watering systems it says that they work on "most" 24/27/31 12V batteries. Unfortunately in my case they did not work with the NAPA 8231 in my new motorhome. If you have 12V batteries then their "Profill" will not work as these are designed for 6V batteries. You will need the "Qwik-Fill" system and hope you don't have same issue I had.
Switching from 12V batteries to 6 volt batteries is only a good idea if you have the room to put the 6V batteries as you will need twice as many batteries (and space) to get the same set up you now have with 12V batteries.
I recently found a potential solution with Battery Watering Technologies (BWT). They have a watering kit for 8231 batteries which is different from the Flow-Rite design, and talking to one of their distributors they told me it will work on the NAPA 8231's (using their VC-TB4 valve kits). I order a kit and should know later this week if this is true or not. Keeping my fingers crossed!
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
If you have two or more 12V Group 24 or 27 batteries, you can get more Ah with the same number of GC-2 6V batteries with almost the same footprint.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:23 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
NAPA 8231

From the NAPA web site that appears to be a Sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid (Maintence free type) Battery. No Refillm, however I couldl not get a clear top view of the battery so it is posible the caps come off

you may also find the Flo-Rite system fits. Contact them if it is a flooded wet cell type. They may have an system for it.
NAPA 8231 batteries are not maintenance free. The caps are flush with the top of the battery and covered by a adhesive strip that says as much. Remove the adhesive strip covering the caps and remove the flush mounted caps to add water.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #65

Why do you need twice as many batteries to switch from 12v to 6v system. Two 6v batteries wired to make one 12v battery has as much juice as those two 12v batteries you are replacing.
Let us know if that watering system works for the NAPA 8231 as that is what I have in my coach. Four of them.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Its not the current (Amps) that you need to be concerned with when going from 12V to 6V battery, but rather the voltage. If your rig is wired for 12V which most are unless you have an ancient rig, then you have to produce 12V out of your batteries, which means in the case of 6V batteries, you need to connect two 6V batteries in series to get 12Volts out of them. The resulting two 6V batteries might have better amperage than the original 12V battery (and that is only true if you spend more for a higher amperage 6V battery), but you still need to wire two 6V in series to get 12V, it's just physics.
lsuarez53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I just bought the Sam's 12v Group 24 AGM Duracell for $119 to use on the boat. Seemed like a good price. What I could not get an answer to is why the automotive version of the same battery is considerably more expensive than the marine, even though the stickers show the same specs. Has anyone tried these?
Batteries designated for automotive use generally have a longer guarantee than batteries designated for RV, marine, or farm use. Possibly because manufacturers assume that automotive batteries will get used on a more regular basis, thereby keeping them charged more. I've run into car batteries that have a 12 month guarantee, but the fine print states that if used for marine or RV use, the guarantee is only 30 to 90 days.

Therefore, the manufacturer is assuming that since the guarantee is longer on automotive batteries, than they can expect to replace more batteries in the automotive "line" than in other lines. Not willing to accept less profit, they jack the price on the same battery to cover the longer guarantee!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuarez53 View Post
Its not the current (Amps) that you need to be concerned with when going from 12V to 6V battery, but rather the voltage. If your rig is wired for 12V which most are unless you have an ancient rig, then you have to produce 12V out of your batteries, which means in the case of 6V batteries, you need to connect two 6V batteries in series to get 12Volts out of them. The resulting two 6V batteries might have better amperage than the original 12V battery (and that is only true if you spend more for a higher amperage 6V battery), but you still need to wire two 6V in series to get 12V, it's just physics.
Even 2 cheap 6 volt battery will have about twice the Amp Hour capacity of one 12 volt battery it is replacing.

Most GP 27 and GP 31 12 volt batteries are rated around 90 to 100 AH capacity. Two will give you 200 AH.

Most GP CG2, 6 volt batteries are rated around 210 AH capacity or more. 2 will give you 210 AH.
They also have the foot print of a GP 24 battery, which will only have about 75 AH of capacity.

This infomation is easily researched.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #69

Quick update - got my Quik-Fill system installed today and it works perfectly. Well impressed and a very simple installable
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	153687

Tags
battery