Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As BillJinOR mentioned. "180 Degree dual air chuck" also get the 180 tire gauge. Without these I could not check or fill any of my tires.

Also as other have mentioned, get you axle weight and use the tire mfg tire load to psi chart. ADD at least 10 PSI to account for one sided weighing more than the other. I add 15 psi to give us a little more margin so every cool day I don't have to add air. PS: The ideal weight should be taken when pack and ready to go. I don't do it when packed and ready to go. I Do it with our outfitted MH. I also have a full tank of fuel and Full tank of Freshwater and add 1,500 lbs for stuff we pack a the trip and add estimated passenger weight. I add this estimated weight with 2/3 of it added on the rear axle and 1/3 added on the front. I take the MH to a cat scale about 15 miles away.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMD View Post
So I was thinking how easy to check tire pressure on my 2020 Kountry Star. Hmmm … likely no different on other coaches. So, just could not maneuver the gauge on inners and outers rear tires and hold in place to get a good reading. There is space. Got out the air compressor, set to regulate 130 psi (Michelin spec on tire) to check by equalizing pressures between compressor and tire. Again could not position air hose nozzle. Good Grief … just want to be checking pressures regularly. Help !!!

Extensions will help. Amazon has a bunch of them with all manner of twists and contortions, depending on what you need. I bought a bunch for our last coach, found exactly what I needed, and sent back the ones I didn't need. For future checking, next time you're in a big truck stop, wander over toward the tools. There will be some really cool tire pressure gauges there that will be helpful. They might even have the extenders, come to think of it.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Nehog: Can you recommend a GOOD tire valve extension? My TPMS, Eezee tire, sells extensions in various lengths. What length works for you?

TIA

Regards
Unfortunately not, the ones on my coach were factory installed (I think) and
have been very good. I'm not sure of the lengths, but you should measure to be sure, and inner and outer wheels will not be the same, and where you mount them also will make a difference too.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:47 AM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use a digital gauge with a "straight" locking chuck. A straight chuck will fit most stems. There are dozens available from Amazon.

If you are using an air compressor, many of the digital gauges allow you to connect the airline from the compressor to the gauge and fill and check as you go.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+t...b_sb_ss_i_1_24

On my coach, because the valves just barely extend past the wheel, I have to use a 1" stainless steel valve extension, on four of my eight wheels, that I attach when I check the tires twice a year. I remove the TPMS cap, add the extension and check or add air if needed. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J4SMLPR..._td_asin_0_img

If you really want to keep an eye on your tires, buy a TPMS product and check your tire in the AM before you drive off. You really increase the danger of tire failure by constantly messing/checking your tires unnecessarily. Tire air needs to be adjusted two maybe three times a year....max.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #19

Hey friends,

We have a 2021 Newmar New Aire (Class A) and we tow a 2018 Subaru Forester w manual transmission. We have had a couple of blowouts on the toad tires, one of which caused a lot of damage. So we are thinking of getting a TPMS with a repeater for the 4 toad tires.

The New Aire has its own TPMS which gives pressure and temperature readings for all six tires, but they seem erratic and inconsistent. Occasionally, the inside tires on the duals show high temps and pressure even when properly inflated. Does anyone else have any experience with the Newmar TPMSs, good or bad? Are they accurate? Do I need to consider getting TPMS for all six tires on the rig? A TST TPMS for 10 tires would set me back $661. Do I really need it?

Thanks for your advice. Krikati
Krikati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure