Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

Choosing the right DP

I’m moving from many years of 5th wheeling into a DP motorhome. I’ve spent many hours on this forum trying to educate myself and I feel like I know a lot more than I did when I started, but I still have a way to go. I kinda have ended up concentrating on the 2005-2007 year range Allegro or Dutch star as I want the side radiator and higher hp engine and from what I’ve read here, seems like the spartan and freightliner chassis are the top choice. Also, Tiffin and Newell seem to be top of the line manufacturers those years. My wife (what does DW stand for, btw) is set on having a sink in the bedroom, another reason for edging more towards the allegro.

The more I research, the more a tag axle looks like an option I want. My question is this - are there other manufacturers (specifically Monaco, Country Coach, or Holiday Rambler) that I should consider? I haven’t had any luck finding those with bedroom sink layout. Is the road master or dynomax chassis comparable to the FL or Spartan? I’m trying to keep the length 40’ or under, maybe I won’t need the tag axle. Just looking for some info/opinions. Thanks in advance
Jagob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Can’t go wrong with a well maintained Country Coach from that era and they commonly have a sink in the bedroom. Also Foretravel are well worth a look. Some have truly outstanding interiors/woodwork.

Ive found both to seem to be higher build quality than the others you mentioned (except Newell - I don’t have any experience with them). I prefer Cummins to cat power for a variety of reasons but you can find both in Country Coach units from that era.

Also watch for finish checking (like lacquer checking) on some Country Coaches. It’s repairable but at significant coast and difficulty. It’s something that you only see up close so if you really like a coach and it passes the 10’ test for you, you’d probably find yourself a bargain. I just saw a Monaco from that era that had a bad case of it too.

Also Newmar introduced Comfort Drive (sterling effort assist) in 2008 so something to consider.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I have a National RV Tradewinds from that era. Side radiator, larger Cummins engine, sink in both the toilet area and shower area. Not a well known coach and the company went bankrupt about 10 or so years ago, but I fell in love with mine when I saw it.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

We really like our Monaco. 500 HP Cummins, 4000 series Allison, 41' 5" long with a tag, side radiator, sink in bedroom and sink in bathroom, Roadmaster Chassis and it drives like a dream. Also has solid beautiful cherry woodwork. When we are full of fuel and water, plus all the stuff we usually take, we still have over 8,000 lbs before we would get to GVWR and that is after I replaced all my flooring with porcelain tile.
Dave
Old 02-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You need to start looking at actual floorplans that are out there. There are VERY few 40' coaches with a tag axle. In current models, only Newmar offers a 40' coach with tag. A sink in the bathroom was a novel idea a few tried, but no one really cared for. It was a waste of space.

Get out and actually look at motor homes and see what you like and what works. Many floorplans have been the same for many years. There is only so much you can do in 40'. Once you find what works, start searching brochures for something similar in an age you can afford.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You need to start looking at actual floorplans that are out there. There are VERY few 40' coaches with a tag axle. In current models, only Newmar offers a 40' coach with tag. A sink in the bathroom was a novel idea a few tried, but no one really cared for. It was a waste of space.

Get out and actually look at motor homes and see what you like and what works. Many floorplans have been the same for many years. There is only so much you can do in 40'. Once you find what works, start searching brochures for something similar in an age you can afford.
I dunno. In my neck of the woods most folks expect their bathroom to have a sink in it. Just sayin’.

Now, assuming that was a typo, and a humorous one at that, I disagree. In our sticks and bricks, my wife and I use 2 different sinks in 2 different bathrooms when we get ready. Frankly, I like that as standing next to my wife, straight razor in hand, while she is flailing about to get her hair just so is a great way for somebody to get cut. In our coach, I can just go to the corner of the bedroom, whip up some lather and have a nice shave while she does her thing in the other room.

DS, DF. OP stated this is a feature his wife wants, so they will probably get it.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #7

Might want to look at Foretravel from 2002 to 2008. Many 40 ft tags made. Prices will be higher than Allegro or Dutch Star but most will have the bigger ISM engine and retarder. Never saw one with a sink in the bedroom, but have seen some where bathroom and bedroom were open to each other.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/us...tion=pre-owned
Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagob View Post
I’m moving from many years of 5th wheeling into a DP motorhome. I’ve spent many hours on this forum trying to educate myself and I feel like I know a lot more than I did when I started, but I still have a way to go. I kinda have ended up concentrating on the 2005-2007 year range Allegro or Dutch star as I want the side radiator and higher hp engine and from what I’ve read here, seems like the spartan and freightliner chassis are the top choice. Also, Tiffin and Newell seem to be top of the line manufacturers those years. My wife (what does DW stand for, btw) is set on having a sink in the bedroom, another reason for edging more towards the allegro.

The more I research, the more a tag axle looks like an option I want. My question is this - are there other manufacturers (specifically Monaco, Country Coach, or Holiday Rambler) that I should consider? I haven’t had any luck finding those with bedroom sink layout. Is the road master or dynomax chassis comparable to the FL or Spartan? I’m trying to keep the length 40’ or under, maybe I won’t need the tag axle. Just looking for some info/opinions. Thanks in advance
Having RV's for over 50 years we were pretty sure what our last floor plan was going to have if possible. We had mostly large 5th wheels after diesel pickups came out so plenty of 40 foot or so floor plan experience.

My wife had the box for sink in the bath checked and it was a deal breaker

We actually had narrowed it down to 20 items we really wanted to get with a new purchase DP

The Tuscany 42GX was the only one that came very close to checking all the boxes for under 500K and we came in way under that

2018 I think is the first side radiator however we are perfectly happy with the rear radiator

Take a look at the floor plan as we thought for the money it was the best we could find

On your original idea there are a bunch of high end coaches that appear to be in great shape on the dealer lots. They are going to be closer to 45 feet in length however. they seem to be priced well and that is before any negotiating

Good luck with the search and as others already get the floor plan and then check the mechanical side closely. If is good then you have found your new home
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Look at the 2004 Monaco Camelot. Two of the options in their brochure show a sink/vanity in the bedroom- https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...04.Camelot.pdf

I don’t know if many were produced of those models, but I think they meet a lot of the items on your checklist, such as a side radiator.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:03 AM   #10

May also want to check out the Beaver coaches. Great quality and great ride. The Beaver Ambassador Club is also a great organization. And.... I have had both a cummins and CAT motors in two separate motor homes and prefer the CAT hands down.... IMHO. Good luck!
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM   #11

There is a HUGE difference between a Newell and a Tiffin. A new Newell is in the 2 million dollar range and the Tiffin is less than 1/4 that amount. You probably meant Newmar and of that era, both we fine coaches. As mentioned already, Monaco, Country Coach, and Foretravel were top of the line. A step or two up from Tiffin or Newmar. If I were in the market for a used MH, I would look for one of those three for the best bang for your buck.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #12

Unfortunately, you and two million other boomers are all looking for the same coaches. They all want the pre DEF, higher quality 40 ft ish rvs. Be prepared to pay a premium for them. If you find one you like in excellent shape, it wont last long on the market. I have been shopping for some time, and I, like yourself are leaning toward those era of coaches. They don't stay on the market long, and always go for more than I want to pay.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
I dunno. In my neck of the woods most folks expect their bathroom to have a sink in it. Just sayin’.

Now, assuming that was a typo, and a humorous one at that, I disagree. In our sticks and bricks, my wife and I use 2 different sinks in 2 different bathrooms when we get ready. Frankly, I like that as standing next to my wife, straight razor in hand, while she is flailing about to get her hair just so is a great way for somebody to get cut. In our coach, I can just go to the corner of the bedroom, whip up some lather and have a nice shave while she does her thing in the other room.

DS, DF. OP stated this is a feature his wife wants, so they will probably get it.
Yes....a typo. Like anything, a FEW people may like a sink in their bedroom, but the industry isn't demanding or liking it, hence they're hard to find. For some, like me, a bedroom is a bedroom and a bathroom is a bathroom, don't mix them together......gross.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
DW Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagob View Post

DW stands for Dearest Wife, ultimately the one who will let you know which coach you will buy. Never, ever doubt or poo poo her tastes, likes, wants, needs or desires. It will dictate what you should look for. Now you just need to educate her on the advantages of a side radiator, 400hp minimum, air ride suspension, increased fuel, water and gvwr capacities.
Happy Wife, Happy Life.
Good luck in your search, you will get lots of good advice here.
Just remember who really gets to pick "the one" when you find it.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote