Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #1

Choosing Tires

I know this for many may be a worn out thread. I don’t mean to diminish anyone’s past comments on the subject, I have found most of you to be far more knowledgeable than I. I post my question here in the hope of getting beyond personal opinions, to hard data, which seems missing in tire related threads.
My question:
What makes one tire a better MH tire than another?
In past threads on the subject, the conversation seems to devolve into personal opinions and bashing. I want to get beyond personal preference to hard data.
After reading a couple threads here, I was all set to buy nine Michelin’s. A recent thread about a blowout, frankly scared the hell out of me!
Some like Michelin, some like Toyo and some like others. What makes your preference better than another? Michelin purportedly provides a better ride, is it at the cost of robust side walls? Toyo is purportedly a more reliable/secure tire.
Why?
I want o make the best choice possible and while I’d like to have a good ride, living is sorta important to me. My MT always carries valuable cargo!!!
Is it plies, belts or ratings?
Odalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #2

Like most RV owners, I have opinions on tires that are based on my experiences and those of people that I know well, but I am by no means a tire expert. You may find the article about how to buy tires to be helpful.
12 Tire Buying Tips
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think tire brand is a meaningful qualifier. All the well-known, top tier brands are excellent quality, though some seem over-priced to me (popular brands, maybe?). The Tire & Rubber Association says motorhome tire usage is similar to the regional delivery trucking profile. That means mileage (tread life) is relatively unimportant, there is a mix of town & highway usage, curb scrubs and potholes are a common occurrence, offroad traction in not a consideration, and of course fuel economy is an important factor too. And since it is a motorcoach, ride comfort and low road noise are a plus. Choose a tire model that emphasizes those characteristics and you should be happy.

There are several internationally-known, second tier brands that have quality tires like that at reasonable prices. Examples include Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohoma, General, Cooper, Kumho. Maybe some more I can't think of offhand, but those alone should offer plenty of choices.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A buddy of mine used to sell tires did it for over 50 years.

When I asked him about the “best tire” he said “there’s no such thing everything’s a trade off durability for comfort, traction for tread-ware.” At least was close to that.

Some ware I once saw a graphic that as you get more comfortable ride your durability goes down and more traction tread-ware goes down.

Bottom line is each of us is different in what we want so my perfect tire will not be yours.

Other than that I can be of no other help and hope you find what’s best for you. Find a good tire shop with knowledgeable people tell them what is important to you and they should be able to provide some options.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

I chose Toyo's to replace the Michelins. Nothing scientific in my choice. Just had a couple of friends who have had multiple sets and were happy with them. Price was very attractive too. I am not aware of any unbiased tire comparison that would be helpful. All you will hear are opinions from personal experiences. The Brand choice is not nearly as important as the care given and the pressure they are run at. The very best tire on the market, whichever one that may be, will fail faster than any of the others if it runs underinflated. Pick any well known brand, cover them when parked, wash occasionally, and above all, maintain at least the minimum pressure for the load they carry. The care a tire gets is more important than the brand you choose.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

My coach uses 225/70R19.5 tires, and I just recently bought new tires a couple of weeks ago, and after a fair amount of research ending up opting for Sumitomo ST719 tires.

My decision was based on a number of factors, including price, these tires were replacing now discontinued Hercules brand H902 tires installed by the previous owner in 2014.

Factors other than price included that this was a respected second / third tier tire manufacturer based in Japan, as compared to some of the true no name brands (they are the parent brand of some other more recognized tire brands). As to the specific tire features, it is a Load range F tires (max 95 psi, I run 80 psi rear 75 psi front based on weight charts) which fits better with my 17,000 GVWR chassis than the G rated Hercules tires I have been using. Also unlike most 19.5 inch tires which are speed rating L (max speed 75 mph, this is a speed N tire, up to 87 mph), so while I do not tend to cruise at over 70 mph in my coach, I like the idea of a bit more cushion on top end speed rating. (a lot more M and N rated tires have showed up on the market in the last year or two). Another factor in my decision is that the N rated ST719 LR-F tires in this size was just introduced about a year ago so I did not have to excessively worry about getting an very old stock tire. These tires are also marketed as regional / urban delivery all position tires which comes the close to matching RV type driving conditions and style.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #7

I'm not sure that there is any hard data available to tell us which brands are more or less prone too failure. If the NHTSA compiles such data, I've never seen it. My own experience is that Michelins are more prone to weather checking. That and the price are the only reason I now shop elsewhere. My own gut feeling is that Michelin used to be the best, but many of the other brands-- especially Japanese ones-- have caught up with them.

Lately, I have used both Toyo M-154 and Sumitomo 718 with good results.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:30 AM   #8

I am also looking for new tires to replace my 255/80R22.5 Michelin XRV tires.

I am fine with Sumimoto and Toyo, I have read that Sumimoto is softer and Toyo is harder than the Michelins. I am ok with either.

I also read somewhere that the Michelin 255/80R22.5 is a 'patented' size, and that you can't get the same size in other brands?

What size do I need for either Sumimoto or Toyo?
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
I am also looking for new tires to replace my 255/80R22.5 Michelin XRV tires.

I am fine with Sumimoto and Toyo, I have read that Sumimoto is softer and Toyo is harder than the Michelins. I am ok with either.

I also read somewhere that the Michelin 255/80R22.5 is a 'patented' size, and that you can't get the same size in other brands?

What size do I need for either Sumimoto or Toyo?
Off topic ...hope we aren't hijacking too much:

The closest size and most common substitute for the proprietary Michelin 255/80R22.5 is 265/75R/22.5

I don't think Sumitomo has either size but some of the more experts at tires I'm sure will chime in if there now is that size in a Sumitomo.

My recommendation, and it's only a preference on my part as everybody has their own reason for buying tires by brand, is the Toyo M154 or the Yokohama RY103. Both have excellent reviews and are solid, well constructed, and excellently engineer commercial truck tires. A person's opinion on how they ride compared to a Michelin is also subjective.

I've had several sets of Toyos on mothorhomes and I've not been able to tell a significant difference in ride quality. My opinion is that both Toyo and Yokohama are actually a more substantial tire commercial truck tire than the XRV. I don't believe you are sacrificing safety by not buying Michelin but many disagree and don't mind paying the much higher price for that sense of security.

The Toyo will most likely be the best value as it will cost a bit less. The Yokohama has very good reviews here on the forum but rarely gets mentioned often. The Yokohama RY103 is manufactured here in the U.S. by Yokohama's U.S. subsidiary in Mississippi. Toyo, Sumitomo, and Yokohama are my favorite brands as they all represent good value and superb engineering. All three happen to be Japanese companies that have subsidiaries headquartered here in the U.S.

Compare price and specs at Simple Tire as an example but the price difference will probably be similar if purchasing at your local tire dealer.

Toyo M154

Yokohama RY103
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I don't think tire brand is a meaningful qualifier. All the well-known, top tier brands are excellent quality, though some seem over-priced to me (popular brands, maybe?). The Tire & Rubber Association says motorhome tire usage is similar to the regional delivery trucking profile. That means mileage (tread life) is relatively unimportant, there is a mix of town & highway usage, curb scrubs and potholes are a common occurrence, offroad traction in not a consideration, and of course fuel economy is an important factor too. And since it is a motorcoach, ride comfort and low road noise are a plus. Choose a tire model that emphasizes those characteristics and you should be happy.

There are several internationally-known, second tier brands that have quality tires like that at reasonable prices. Examples include Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohoma, General, Cooper, Kumho. Maybe some more I can't think of offhand, but those alone should offer plenty of choices.
Gary, you always seem to have a great response and in the short time I’ve been on iRV, I find myself looking for your responses to threads I read. I’m glad you responded here, thank you.
I took your response and others to heart and spent some time talking to tire sources yesterday.
I’ll post some of what I learned at the end of this thread, I think some people will be surprised by what I learned and numbers I collated.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Like most RV owners, I have opinions on tires that are based on my experiences and those of people that I know well, but I am by no means a tire expert. You may find the article about how to buy tires to be helpful.
12 Tire Buying Tips
Good read, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
A buddy of mine used to sell tires did it for over 50 years.

When I asked him about the “best tire” he said “there’s no such thing everything’s a trade off durability for comfort, traction for tread-ware.” At least was close to that.

Some ware I once saw a graphic that as you get more comfortable ride your durability goes down and more traction tread-ware goes down.

Bottom line is each of us is different in what we want so my perfect tire will not be yours.

Other than that I can be of no other help and hope you find what’s best for you. Find a good tire shop with knowledgeable people tell them what is important to you and they should be able to provide some options.
That’s exactly what I did. I went out and talked to some tire sources yesterday. I’ll share what I learned at the end of this thread. I’m not sure I learned enough to make a decision yet, but I’m sure I understand more than when I posted here.

BTW, it appears you and I either have the same coach, or very similar. The only difference is ours is either 42, or 43, it appears Monaco wasn’t sure when they produced it, some docs say 42, some say 43 and the actual measurements are neither but are in between.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I chose Toyo's to replace the Michelins. Nothing scientific in my choice. Just had a couple of friends who have had multiple sets and were happy with them. Price was very attractive too. I am not aware of any unbiased tire comparison that would be helpful. All you will hear are opinions from personal experiences. The Brand choice is not nearly as important as the care given and the pressure they are run at. The very best tire on the market, whichever one that may be, will fail faster than any of the others if it runs underinflated. Pick any well known brand, cover them when parked, wash occasionally, and above all, maintain at least the minimum pressure for the load they carry. The care a tire gets is more important than the brand you choose.
You may not know how influential your comments can be so I want to take the opportunity to tell you!
Your comments struck a cord with me and I actually said out loud, that’s one of the smartest ways to look at tires I’ve read yet.
Thanks for your response.
Questions:
Do you check your tire pressure before each drive? If so, with what? TPMS, or are you physically checking each by hand with a gauge?
Do you check lug torque, if so, how often and with what?
Do you use a treatment on your tires, if so, which one?

I just recently started using Aerospace 303. I have been thus far impressed but haven’t used it long enough to get a feel for it’s long term UV protection.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Off topic ...hope we aren't hijacking too much:

The closest size and most common substitute for the proprietary Michelin 255/80R22.5 is 265/75R/22.5

I don't think Sumitomo has either size but some of the more experts at tires I'm sure will chime in if there now is that size in a Sumitomo.

My recommendation, and it's only a preference on my part as everybody has their own reason for buying tires by brand, is the Toyo M154 or the Yokohama RY103. Both have excellent reviews and are solid, well constructed, and excellently engineer commercial truck tires. A person's opinion on how they ride compared to a Michelin is also subjective.

I've had several sets of Toyos on mothorhomes and I've not been able to tell a significant difference in ride quality. My opinion is that both Toyo and Yokohama are actually a more substantial tire commercial truck tire than the XRV. I don't believe you are sacrificing safety by not buying Michelin but many disagree and don't mind paying the much higher price for that sense of security.

The Toyo will most likely be the best value as it will cost a bit less. The Yokohama has very good reviews here on the forum but rarely gets mentioned often. The Yokohama RY103 is manufactured here in the U.S. by Yokohama's U.S. subsidiary in Mississippi. Toyo, Sumitomo, and Yokohama are my favorite brands as they all represent good value and superb engineering. All three happen to be Japanese companies that have subsidiaries headquartered here in the U.S.

Compare price and specs at Simple Tire as an example but the price difference will probably be similar if purchasing at your local tire dealer.

Toyo M154

Yokohama RY103
Well, “I” don’t think that was a hijack, you shared some great info, much of it reflects what I learned yesterday. I just wish I read before I went researching yesterday.
Information I gathered for comparison, was on the M144, not the M154. What’s the difference?

Tags
tire, tires