Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Cigarette lighter and dash lights

My dash lights and cigarette lighters quit working on my 2003 Holiday Rambler endeavor. After a lot of research there was no definitive information as to the fuse location.

What I found on my coach, it's located in the bay directly under the drivers seat in the large black panel box that the cover is secured by three wing nuts. The fuse is NOT labeled as such. I found a 30amp fuse in position#8 that was blown. I think it was labeled "spare" Everything works After replacing that fuse. While I was there I checked every fuse in the bay and lo and behold there was a 10amp fuse that was also blown. Don't know what it does but I replaced it also.

As a note, the easy way to find a blown fuse is to take a multi-meter and put the leads on the two silver metal tabs at the end of the fuse. If the fuse is bad it will show the voltage for that circuit (24 or 12 volts) on the meter, if it is good it will register 0.
I'm sure most everyone knows this so please don't get upset and making disparaging remarks.
2003 rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Isn't RV electrical fun. Easy to tell that the guys building the RV never have to try and repair it.
Just a note on meter use ; and this isn't true for all meters ; when testing a fuse the way you describe , if the circuit is shorted , and the meter completes the circuit , you can burn it out, or at least over heat the wires .
If the fuse your testing is a single dedicated circuit with a switch , and the switch is off , you have no ground path and won't get a meter reading.
I prefer to use a test light; or meter; connected to a known good ground, when checking fuses ; unless you pull them out and use the ohm function.
Another note on meter use , it only takes mili-amps to give a reading on a digital meter , poor connections can pass enough power to give a reading , but nothing will operate because amps won't get through .
The fuse in the picture below, was not blown and passed enough power to give a meter reading and light up the led on the control panel of my leveling system but nothing would operate from the panel , test light used at the control pad connector, just glowed, and I found my problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277 (640x360).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	169895  

Tags
dash, light, lights