Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Bill, give us the short how-come on not pumping air brakes please.
Bill may have meant, "never pump ABS to stop." Most newer diesel pushers now have anti-lock brakes. Just as you do in your car, you don't want to pump the brakes in an emergency stop. You want to let the ABS do the "pumping" for you as it can do it much faster and efficiently than you are able to do. With ABS, you just want to keep your foot down on the brake pedal/treadle.

When driving commercial buses back in the 70s, we did have to pump the air brakes in an emergency stop as that was before ABS was common. We called it "pumping the brakes" but the more commonly, it was called "stab braking." This was when you applied the brakes hard until you could feel the wheels start to lock, then release, and apply hard again until wheel lock, then release, etc., etc.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #16

You don't pump air brakes because you are depleting the air with every pump.

While stopping, the engine and its air compressor are turning the slowest, supplying little air to refill the tanks.

With each pump of the brakes you are depleting the air, in the tanks, faster then its being refilled. The lower the pressure, the less effective the brakes are.

The anti lock brake action dumps less air per cycle then pumping the pedal.

Sit in your driveway with the engine idling and pump the brakes and watch the gauges.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Got it, makes sense. My Ford f53 chassis truly I'm not sure, seems to produce a lot of whooshing and clicking whenever the pedal is pushed and engine not running. As soon as the new cooling element for the refer comes and I get a working fridge, I'm going to study this. I can see the abs sensors in the calipers but also seems more to it than standard truck brakes.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
No air gauves btw, aftermarket?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

If there are no air gauges then by law you should not have air brakes. You may have an air released parking brake though. AFAIK you must have gauges on all air brake equipped vehicles per the US DOT.
Matt
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #20

Simply amazing. I had to study air brake systems, pass an air brake written exam, pass an air brake pre-trip inpection, and pass a demonstration testing the air brake system all to qualify for a Class B CDL to drive the same motorhomes that people buy and drive with no knowledge, what-so-ever, of their air brakes. What's wrong with this picture?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Got it, makes sense. My Ford f53 chassis truly I'm not sure, seems to produce a lot of whooshing and clicking whenever the pedal is pushed and engine not running. As soon as the new cooling element for the refer comes and I get a working fridge, I'm going to study this. I can see the abs sensors in the calipers but also seems more to it than standard truck brakes.
F53 chassis do not have air brakes.

The sounds your hearing are the backup systems, designed to assist in stopping if the power steering system fails.

The power steering system is what normally gives you your power brake assist.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #22

let's clarify this discussion:

is the OP discussing dumping 'air bags', or pulling the 'air brakes'?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #23

Quote:
I believe that model came with either the Ford or Workhorse chassis underneath it. Both are gas and have hydraulic brakes. No air.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Simply amazing. I had to study air brake systems, pass an air brake written exam, pass an air brake pre-trip inpection, and pass a demonstration testing the air brake system all to qualify for a Class B CDL to drive the same motorhomes that people buy and drive with no knowledge, what-so-ever, of their air brakes. What's wrong with this picture?
+1

Everyone who operates an air brake equipped vehicle of any kind on public roads should have some sort of air brake endorsement on their drivers license.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
+1

Everyone who operates an air brake equipped vehicle of any kind on public roads should have some sort of air brake endorsement on their drivers license.
Why stop with air brakes, how about all RVs with brakes.

There are plenty of large, heavy MHs with operators smoking the brakes going down hill.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #26

The Ford F53 uses the power steering pump to create the primary brake boost pressure.
When the engine is off, or there is a pressure problem with the power steering based pressure, a fairly loud electric motor kicks in to provide braking pressure.

But them ain't air brakes. And no gauge.

ie: CDL...yeah, I am surprised in Michigan anyone can drive a 50,000 lb. air brake equipped 40+ feet beast with zero training. I am not one for much gov't intervention, but this one always surprises me.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #27

The biggest issue in this thread, as are many others on iRV2, is other posters taking over the thread, relating THEIR experiences even if THEIR experiences have nothing to do with the topic, or their vehicles are so unlike the OP's vehicle that it makes it extremely confusing to interested readers.

Sometimes I feel like I need a score card to keep track of what's going on. Should not have to do that on a two page thread.

Jeeesh.........

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why stop with air brakes, how about all RVs with brakes.

There are plenty of large, heavy MHs with operators smoking the brakes going down hill.
Well, OP was questioning the operation of his air brakes.

Hence my comment.

Maybe you are right. Special training should be required for certain weights, lengths, heights. Corrective lenses, common sense. Oh well...

Tags
air, air brakes, brake, brakes