Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2019, 05:35 AM   #15

I’m not going to get into a new / used or gasser / diesel debate, but simply give you some perspective on our experience in our ‘15 Tiffin 31SA (33’), which is our first RV. We’ve put 33,000 miles on it since new, and have traveled most of the country and eastern Canada, including the western mountain states twice and to which we will be returning to shortly. We typically travel 1 to 3 months at a time, about 5 months or so a year, with the shorter trips regional with 1-3 “destinations”, and longer trips, have been about 6000 miles with 15-20 “destination” stops.

I will note, that contrary to popular belief on this forum, while all newer gassers are on the F53 chassis, the coaches themselves are not created equal. It is apparent that chassis size, wheelbase / wheelbase ratio (longer the better, we are at 57% and the best I’ve seen is 58%), proper weight distribution, and how the “house” is constructed make huge differences in the gasser driving experience. Ours is the last year of the 5 speed, and I really don’t know how it actually compares to the newer 6 speed, but I haven’t seen any shortcomings nor have felt any need to do an ECU tune like the 5 Star......

So, back to mountain driving; what is your definition of a mountain to start with . I actually enjoy the "challenges" associated with mountain driving.

You have to enjoy being actively engaged and focused, take control and “actively” drive the coach yourself, use “tow/haul” mode, and no cruise control.

I’m not going get into how to drive significant grades, other than you need to not freak out at 4000+ rpm, and realize that while it may get a little loud, it’s not a significant amount of driving time (for us at least). It can get slow, but you’ll get there .

Some of the roads with significant grades we have taken in our gasser (~22,600#s fully loaded) always pulling the toad (~4,500#s) include:

I40 over the Smokies in both directions
I77 over Fancy Gap in in VA both directions
Both of which are “introduction mountain driving”..........
The last time we drove I77 homeward, we got gas in Fancy Gap and I handed the coach over to my wife to drive it down the southbound side which she accomplished with no drama .

And then there are the “real mountains”:
I70 eastbound in eastern UT
Vail Pass eastbound
CO9 southbound from Breckinridge
Up and down to Estes Park
UT12 Bryce to Torrey
Wolf Creek Pass southbound
CO149 / Slumgullion Pass southbound
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumgullion_Pass‬
Slumgullion Pass, elevation 11,530 ft (3,510 m), is a mountain pass in Colorado traversed by State Highway 149 east of Lake City. The north side has the steepest grade of any continuously paved road in Colorado (9%)

As well as some some fun grades in Quebec along the St. Lawrence, and across New Brunswick.

Not a minute of “white knuckle” driving.

We’ll be heading to Pacific Northwest this year and will again head into WY, UT, and CO. I’ll admit, I’m skipping Teton pass (I’d really like to tackle it, but.....) and CO 139 (at the advice of one of a couple members here that I have great trust in their routing suggestions), while we will be doing US191 from Tetons to Vernal, probably Monarch pass as well, among a few other interesting roads / passes along the way.

We’ve never second guessed our decision to buy our Tiffin gasser. Just the 2 of us, retired but younger than most retirees, fit / not “large people”, and no pets or kids / grandchildren to worry about accommodating in our travels......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #16

Very helpful information. We actually test drove a 2017 Tiffin 31sa yesterday along with a . Diesel 31Br. In Knoxville Tn.
My definition of mountains are over 5000’ similar to what you mention in your travels. We have pulled a 5th wheel out west thru Colorado , Utah, etc and to Montana.
Unfortunately when we test drove the Rv we are not towing so it is difficult to judge how well the gaser performs, mph up hill and noise!
How fast can u pull uphill in the Rockies (mph ?) How noisy? How is it descending down the mountain?
I am not looking to race thru the mountains but I also would like to get to my destination in a reasonable amount of time and be comfortable and feel safe.
I appreciate any insight you can offer.
Dino
Dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Nice coach, but the delamination under the driver's side window...…..Mmph.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinop View Post
Very helpful information. We actually test drove a 2017 Tiffin 31sa yesterday along with a . Diesel 31Br. In Knoxville Tn.
My definition of mountains are over 5000’ similar to what you mention in your travels. We have pulled a 5th wheel out west thru Colorado , Utah, etc and to Montana.
Unfortunately when we test drove the Rv we are not towing so it is difficult to judge how well the gaser performs, mph up hill and noise!
How fast can u pull uphill in the Rockies (mph ?) How noisy? How is it descending down the mountain?
I am not looking to race thru the mountains but I also would like to get to my destination in a reasonable amount of time and be comfortable and feel safe.
I appreciate any insight you can offer.
Dino
So much of this is about personal perception, experience, expectations, and have an understanding of how to drive these things in the most effective manner possible given the conditions. If you think driving a Buick or Lexus is a fine driving experience (numb and isolated) this isn’t it. If you like to be engaged with your driving, and connected to what’s going on, this is a lot of fun.

First, I have never felt the least bit unsafe or have had any sort of so called “white knuckle” driving experience in our coach, other than a terrible road in Nova Scotia, but that’s not relevant .

Next, if I was driving from Denver to Grand Junction on I70 on a regular basis in my RV, I’d probably have a different perspective .

Driving interstate mountain grades is completely different than many of the significant US / State Hwy. grades. When cars are wizzing by at 65 mph and you are in the truck lane doing 30, it can seem to be a long slog up Vail Pass. OK, but the reality is, it’s what, a 10 mile grade, does it really make any difference if you are 30mph vs. 40mph at the end of the day?

I did pass a semi going up Vail Pass, and in the eastern “mountains” (lower altitudes) I certainly easily keep up with and will pass trucks going up if / when it makes sense to do so. I do remember a DP blowing by me on I70 in UT (there are a couple big grades), maybe doing 5-10mph more than I was .

On the other hand, once you start getting on the secondary roads, the speed limits for everyone is generally slower to begin with, and particularly with any sort of switchbacks, no one in any sort of big rig is going to be going much faster than anyone else. Going up Slumgullion I was down to 25mph a few times, but with the switchbacks, you just are not going to go much faster in a big DP anyway, and they have to slow down even more on the curves.....

A relevant anecdotal story. Going up to Estes Park, as we were leaving Boulder, there were 2 other RVs in front of us as we were leaving town, one of them a DP. As I was the last In line, I was the first to pull over and let a line of cars by, and at that point I didn’t see the other 2 RVs the rest of the way, until, we got to the first stop light in Estes, and guess what, we are all back together again.

I’ll get to downgrades at the end....

Noise going “up” is all up to you and your right foot how fast your want to go and what rpms are necessary to do that. The reality is, that the speed gain gets to be negligible vs. rpm jump at some point, so it’s something you get a feel for. And that’s for any grade, even on flatland interstate, and why using CC can be obnoxious.

On our coach, the normal 65mph cruising rpm is 2250, and you can take that to about 2750 and at those rpms there is no engine noise inside our coach. This is a vast majority of our driving time (over 90%.....)

The next normal jump is 3250 rpms -3750, you hear it in our coach, but it’s negligible, and certainly a very minimal amount of our driving. If you have CC on, it can cause a jump to that 3250 band on “flat land” interstate hills, but if don’t have CC on, you can stay under 2750 and maybe loose 5mph.

The next rpm jump is 4250-4750, and yep, you hear it. You’ll certainly get into this range quite a bit on bigger climbs and steep downgrades. Again, keep in mind just how much of your driving this would consist of. For those that use CC all the time, this is what they really complain about, because it will cause that (often unnecessary kick down to 4250, even on smaller grades.

The last band is 5000+, and that’s all on you to control going up (that’s where speed gain vs. rpm becomes negligible), but you may certainly get into this on steel downgrades. It’s obnoxious. But the reality is, the amount of time you (we, at least) spend driving 5000 rpms (even 4250+rpms) is negligible.

As for driving significant downgrades...... you’ve got to be in tow / haul mode, start slow, force a low gear, and keep the rpms up. If the downgrade speed limit is 35mph, you start down at 20, in a low gear and the engine rpms already spinning like 3500rpms, maybe more, so the engine / tranny are holding you back from the very beginning of the decent. If you start down Wolf Creek pass for instance at 30mph and 2000 rpm in 4th gear, you are already in trouble, and it’s going to be an ugly, white knuckle and unsafe drive, over using your brakes and putting yourself and others in danger.

This is an interesting, and long thread, some of the posts I have a strong disagreement with... but, it’s worth a read.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gass...is-429977.html

This is an excerpt from my last post in that thread; I don’t remember the source, but I think it does a great job explaining the how’s / why’s of safely descending steep grades.

1)
Downgrades
There’s a limit to the amount of heat that brakes can absorb and dissipate. The highest brake temperatures occur when braking from highway speeds while on long downgrades, or from repeated use of the brakes without enough cooling time between applications. Almost all brake failures and downhill runaway crashes are caused by overdriving the ability of the brakes to deal with heat. In other words, poor speed control.

Whether in town or on a highway, you’ll usually need to descend a hill more slowly than other traffic in order to avoid overdriving your brakes. You should be in a lower gear to go down the hill than used to climb it. Never shift
to a higher gear on a downgrade unless the speed on the grade can be controlled with a retarding device or engine compression.

Select a safe speed that's not too fast for the weight of your vehicle, length, and steepness of the grade, weather, and road conditions. Use an appropriate low gear to hold that speed, and use the vehicle’s retarding device.

If this doesn’t control your speed, and speed is increasing above your chosen speed:
• apply the brakes hard enough to reduce speed by 10 to 15 km/h — the brakes are cold at this point
• downshift to a lower main gear

Continue down the grade, using engine compression, transmission gearing and your vehicle’s retarding device to control your speed. If the speed increases again, repeat this process. Be careful using this procedure on icy roads.
Keep your vehicle in gear all the way down the hill.

2)
Engine braking occurs when the retarding forces within an engine are used to slow down a motor vehicle, as opposed to using additional external braking mechanisms such as friction brakes or magnetic brakes.

The term "engine braking" refers to the braking effect that occurs in gasoline engines when the accelerator pedal is released. This results in the throttle valve that controls intake airflow closing and the air flow through the intake becoming greatly restricted (but not cut off completely). This causes a high manifold vacuum which the cylinders have to work against—sapping energy and producing the majority of the engine braking force.

While some of the braking force is produced due to friction in the drive train, this is negligible compared to the effect from the manifold vacuum caused by the air-flow restriction.

As soon as the accelerator is released enough to slow the engine, engine braking comes into effect as long as the wheels remain connected via the transmission to the engine. A slipping or disengaged clutch, or a torque converter, would disengage the wheels or absorb braking energy.

The braking force varies depending on the engine, and the gear the transmission is in. The lower the gear, the higher the braking effect due to higher rpm and the torque transferred through the transmission (higher torque is delivered from the engine in lower gears).

Engine braking avoids wear on brakes, and can help a driver maintain control of the vehicle. Active use of engine braking by shifting into a lower gear can help control speed while driving down very steep and long slopes, saving the brakes from overheating or excessive wear. If it is applied before the brakes have been used, it can leave the brakes available to make emergency stops (or slow when necessary; my edit)

Just to end this, when we are in the mountains, and driving our little gasser, it is what it is. I really enjoy it and take it all in for all it’s worth.

Hole all this helps.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Nice coach, but the delamination under the driver's side window...…..Mmph.

Wow I didn't catch that.....don't purchase that one. Lol
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #20

Betr2Trvl put it so well. I have a 2013 32' FW Storm which is the BH model that I have taken cross country from NJ to San Fran twice. Last fall did 8000 miles to Deadwood, Badlands, Teton, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Seattle, Portland, Oregon Coast, San Fran, Sacramento, Napa, Reno, Salt Lake City, and a bunch of other places in between. Drove accross lots of passes in the rockies, Cascades, Sierra Nevadas, etc. Never had a bit of trouble doing the mountains, If it takes me 5 or 10 more minutes, so what. I enjoy the ride especially when you spot a mother bear and her cubs meandering along a river in Montanta. The rule I've always followed is you go down the hill the same speed that you went up. I use the tow haul all the time and have never had a problem. The only white knuckle was the mountain pass east of Napa, two lane road, no barriers, barely wide enough for two cars let alone a MH and tractor trailer and lots of curves. Increased the pucker value by 10 on that one but it sure was an experience to talk about. In reality its about enjoying the ride, not the speed. When we go to Florida during snowbird season I do tow my Ford Escape on a tow dolly with no problem. BTW if I could I would increase size by about 2 ft just so I could have a little longer sofa. Its too short for me to "nap" comfortably on. However, I do have bunks that I can go jump in for my "power nap" as the youngins call it. Those of us old enough to remember black and white tv with only 3 stations just call it grandpops nap.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
When I was first looking for a true 32' DP (not just model number) it was very difficult to find. I did find a 2006 Monaco with a Cat diesel and two slides at around 32' with a real nice floor plan, but unfortunately had some mechanical issues. Many of the other RVs that claimed to be 32' actually measured much bigger (34' - 36'+) so whatever you look at if the length is critical, make sure you our someone physically measure it.

Yes indeed, brochures and salesman are not very accurate.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephNHarper View Post
We are the proud first time owners of a '19 Newmar Bay Star 3226 (which is technically 33 feet) and so far we love it. It is a Gas motorhome but we are in love. We have not towed yet but we plan to and we have no reason to believe that it will not do everything we need it to do (based on tremendous research and others experience).

[emoji106]
Old 06-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post
Betr2Trvl put it so well. I have a 2013 32' FW Storm which is the BH model that I have taken cross country from NJ to San Fran twice. Last fall did 8000 miles to Deadwood, Badlands, Teton, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, Seattle, Portland, Oregon Coast, San Fran, Sacramento, Napa, Reno, Salt Lake City, and a bunch of other places in between. Drove accross lots of passes in the rockies, Cascades, Sierra Nevadas, etc. Never had a bit of trouble doing the mountains, If it takes me 5 or 10 more minutes, so what. I enjoy the ride especially when you spot a mother bear and her cubs meandering along a river in Montanta. The rule I've always followed is you go down the hill the same speed that you went up. I use the tow haul all the time and have never had a problem. The only white knuckle was the mountain pass east of Napa, two lane road, no barriers, barely wide enough for two cars let alone a MH and tractor trailer and lots of curves. Increased the pucker value by 10 on that one but it sure was an experience to talk about. In reality its about enjoying the ride, not the speed. When we go to Florida during snowbird season I do tow my Ford Escape on a tow dolly with no problem. BTW if I could I would increase size by about 2 ft just so I could have a little longer sofa. Its too short for me to "nap" comfortably on. However, I do have bunks that I can go jump in for my "power nap" as the youngins call it. Those of us old enough to remember black and white tv with only 3 stations just call it grandpops nap.

Thanks for sharing 🤠
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephNHarper View Post
We are the proud first time owners of a '19 Newmar Bay Star 3226 (which is technically 33 feet) and so far we love it. It is a Gas motorhome but we are in love. We have not towed yet but we plan to and we have no reason to believe that it will not do everything we need it to do (based on tremendous research and others experience).

Congrats on the new purchase . We test drove a 3124 Baystar the other day and Newmar is a quality MH.
We decided to go diesel and the Newmars were too big and too $$$.
We just purchased a Tiffin 33BR Breeze and will pick it up at the end of June. Wife didn’t want anything longer than 30’ which didn’t leave many options but I did up her to 33.5 ft lol
Old 06-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post

Sounds like some fantastic destinations, we have been to a few of them. Thanks for the reply and enjoy ur Travels and Naps[emoji16]
Old 06-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #26

Thanks for all the good information on this thread. Soon I am driving I 88 from the bay area to Carson City Nevada and have read things that had me a little spooked. Will be driving a 2017 Coachman Mirada 31FW pulling a Jeep Sahara at 4k lbs. Everyone here makes it sound doable and not a big worry.
Smittty54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #27

Everyone here makes it sound doable It is.
and not a big worry. It isn't (providing you have reasonable expectations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittty54 View Post
Thanks for all the good information on this thread. Soon I am driving I 88 from the bay area to Carson City Nevada and have read things that had me a little spooked. Will be driving a 2017 Coachman Mirada 31FW pulling a Jeep Sahara at 4k lbs. Everyone here makes it sound doable and not a big worry.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #28

Fleetwood Southwinds are nice. 32 & 34 footers. Bounders come pretty short too.

Tags
class a