Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #15
pmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
You are in very similar circumstances we were in when we bought out Mirada. We already owned the house, but our budget for the motor-home was $50K+/- on a cash deal.
We after we had agreed on a price, the dealer asked if we wanted to trade our 2005 Itasca class C. I had been planning to sell it myself, but the offer was for more than I had planned to sell for and I said yes.
There are many good class A gas coaches in your price range. I do not think one needs to stay with the pre-2008 manufacture date suggested by some. Our 2011 Coachmen has been very good so far and we are both happy with it.
You have any suggestions?

Thanks,
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
You have any suggestions?

Thanks,
See my earlier post regarding wheel base to overall length of 56% and weight distribution. It is mostly the short wheelbase models with long rear overhangs that have handling problems. My career was engineering racing sailboats and I know that heavy does not necessarily equal strong. The cabinetry in my Winnebago RV's was lightweight but never came apart. In my Jayco, I was constantly putting things back together. So far, the Coachmen is staying together quite well and we drive a lot of miles on rough roads. I prefer the extra CCC that light construction allows without going up in chassis weight. We have 4000# of CCC and are using less than 3000# of it, why would I need a 22,000# chassis with 22 inch wheels?

Some dealers do not sell used coaches over 5-6 years old because financing can be an issue. If they take an older trade, they just wholesale it off to the used dealers. A few, I.E. LazyDays Tampa, take in lots of trades on newer coaches and can turn older ones over fairly quickly. On ours, they had put new tires all around, reupholstered all the furniture, and serviced all the appliances & systems. We stayed 3 days in their turnover lot, at no charge, and got to make sure that everything was in good order before we left.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #17

We bought a 2013 Georgetown in 2018. We have had our issues but I have learned a lot about repairs. Biggest issue was our transmission needed to be rebuilt as it developed a leak in the front seal. My guess is that could happen to anyone. I would expect the 2010 had cheap leather like fabric. We reupholstered all of our furniture and that helped my wife feel like the coach is ours. All in all we are happy and enjoying some family trips.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #18

We bought last year, near the top of your budget. Our coach was in great condition, with under 10k miles on it! We put 8k miles on it this summer and can't explain how enjoyable it was... not a single issue.

I highly recommend Newmar/Tiffin. Go a little older if needed to fit your budget. This is one of those recommendations that are hard to understand until you have some experience. Unfortunately, many/most gain experience the hard way.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
pmf

Thanks to everyone again. Good information and a lot to think about. I would definitely like Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco to mention a few. I'm not sure we'll find one in our budget and we haven't totally ruled out a class c. Still researching and don't plan on jumping into anything. We've only looked at a couple and not driven yet mainly because everything I've seen that I like is 300 or 400 miles away. Just can't make it that far right now.

Thanks again,
Pat

Tags
class a