Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

Class A 7.5 exhaust problem

Hey guy's, I have a 1997 Itasca Suncruiser W/7.5L engine I bought used.First trip out I had problems with the exhaust Y pipe loosening at the manifold. Once I returned home I slid under the MH, and found the bolts that attach the Y pipe to the manifold very loose. I tightened them all back,But the next trip I had the same problem.This time I had to tighten them at the campsite.I noticed that someone has cut and rewelded the Y pipe several times,and it's in a constant bind. I'm thinking about replacing the Y pipe, but after doing a search I'm having a hard time finding a replacement for the F53 motorhome chassis. Anyone else run into these problems? The manifolds are good.I found a set of headers wth a Y pipe for the 7.5L on Ebay but the description says they're not compatibile with the F53 chassis.I also found the Banks system but that's not an option! Has anyone used headers and Y pipes for a F350 on a F53 chassis? I have over 40 years experience in Auto Mechanics so I will be doing the work myself. Thank you any help iis much appreciated!
336Papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #2

Call Doug Thorley Headers.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #3

Walker has a Y pipe.
https://www.zoro.com/walker-front-pi...RoCApUQAvD_BwE

You may want to try double nuts on the studs. I suggest brass nuts for easy removal.

Richard
Old 01-28-2021, 02:39 AM   #4

Thanks F4Gary,but the manifolds are good. just need the y pipe.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

With your background I'm guessing you checked the motor mounts? Maybe the y can be fabricated at a muffler shop (or is it cast)?

Good luck, hope you get it figured out.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #6

I replaced the stock system on my '92 Winnebago Elante 33 RQ with the Banks system in 1999. It has about 10,000 KM on it, is in excellent condition and has been in dry storage ever since. I would be willing to sell it to you if you are interested.
E4ODnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #7

336Papasmurf , what dose constant bind mean,, a good suggestion about checking the motor mounts. Was the system mounting changed, are the original hangers still being used. Can you figure out why the Y pipe was welded by a previous owner.

Clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:57 AM   #8

Exhaust problems

Thanks CliiffordJ, and yes the motor mounts are in good shape!that was my first guess.When the left side came completely loose at Myrtle Beach SC, I had to do a repair on site.I couldn't get the pipe up close enough to reinstall it even after almost completely loosening the opposite side.I eventually took a 4ft prybar and with a little help got it up close enough to reinstall it,Although on the way home it came loose again.Also thanks to Triplewide,I have looked into having a Y pipe fabricated for it.That may even be my only reasonable solution although I did find a set of headers with the Y pipe on Ebay for about 300.00$, but they're for a F350 w/7.5,Just not sure if they'll work!
Old 01-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #9

Sorry OP, when you said Banks I thought you were looking at headers too.

They make all metal locking nuts for exhaust flanges.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:59 AM   #10

Starting with a new Y pipe dose sound like a reasonable solution, even if it's not specifically for your MH chassis. The Y would most likely fit around the bell housing , but the outlet may be pointing in the wrong direction. I've seen Y's with a short flex joint in them to allow for alignment. Might be something to consider. My shop have fabricated Y pipes but it's difficult and expensive. Easiest method is to modify one that is a close fit. Were your flanges too close together or too far apart. The welding you mentioned is still a mystery.

Clifford
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:29 AM   #11

You can use the cheaper Thorley headers if you have the gumption. Here's a thread about it and in it there's a link to another thread.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/460-...ap-318735.html

My 7.5 has been well-behaved so far but I've about got my finger on the trigger for such headers if manifold problems arise. Doing the cheaper ones "the hard way" is right up my alley for self-entertainment.

But I'd really have a look at those motor and transmission mounts. Key to leak-free exhaust is an engine that is limited in motion but an exhaust that is free to move with it a bit. I suspect you are right that the exhaust is further downstream may be in a bind too. People with older muscle cars have lots of such issues when their fancy new fully welded exhaust doesn't have the ability to move around enough. Again and again, such problems show up as leaks at where the manifolds/headers meet the rest of the exhaust. People keep focusing on the symptom and replacing gasket after gasket and often don't see that it's actually the pipes that are the root cause.

And by the way, I've come to despise these.

They are the absolute bottom of the barrel cheapest exhaust hanger out there and too many times I have found they do NOT allow enough pipe motion.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not cut and extend the current Y pipe back to it's original length if it's in reasonable condition?

Tags
class a, exhaust, problem